Technica-ATH-A700 or other?
Feb 7, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #17 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by drizzt5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you know how comfy they are and how do they compare to the a700's? I saw them for $85 but they don't look like they are closed and I haven't heard much about them.

Decent headphones, but don't match up anywhere near the sound quality of the AD700's. The 280's are comfy for the first hour, then they crush your head and cause tons of pain. They are INCREDIBLY closed. The 280's block out loads of outside sound, and keep your sounds in.

Depending on your situation, go with the AD700 if you don't have anyone around you that is bothered by the noise, and if you don't mind other sounds entering your music.

go with the A700 if you want less sound leakage from your phones, and less noise coming in to your music.

The real difference is that the AD700 has I believe a bigger sound stage, sounds much more airy, and most people seem to prefer that. I've been using mine for a couple months now, but I've ordered a pair of A700's because I'm getting annoyed at all of the external sounds coming into my music listening experience.

Feb 7, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #18 of 46
Feb 7, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #20 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by solessthanthree /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just grabbed a pair of AD700s this past week and they're en route to me as I type this. I had about the same conflict, but in the end I decided on the AD700s because of everyone's praise of the open version's endless sound stage (which is a huge plus if you're playing FPS) and superior SQ. Admittedly they're bass lean and has a one-size-fits-all style (you can rubberband the wings together and bend the headband to adjust it), but I made my choice. I'll get back to you when I receive them :]

Yes, I really wish I knew a place locally so I could sample both and compare. I just don't want to sacrifice the A700 being closed for the AD700 unless there is a significant improvement. And from the majority of these posts there has to be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AD700, hands down.

Because of the superior sound?
Quote:

Originally Posted by iareConfusE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Decent headphones, but don't match up anywhere near the sound quality of the AD700's. The 280's are comfy for the first hour, then they crush your head and cause tons of pain. They are INCREDIBLY closed. The 280's block out loads of outside sound, and keep your sounds in.

All i needed to hear was that they cause any discomfort. I am willing to pay way more for the comfort, i spend a lot of time with my headset and headphones on.
Quote:

Depending on your situation, go with the AD700 if you don't have anyone around you that is bothered by the noise, and if you don't mind other sounds entering your music.

Hmm, I only have that problem at LANS or when I have annoying people over or when I have people vacuuming or stuff.

Quote:

go with the A700 if you want less sound leakage from your phones, and less noise coming in to your music.

The real difference is that the AD700 has I believe a bigger sound stage, sounds much more airy, and most people seem to prefer that. I've been using mine for a couple months now, but I've ordered a pair of A700's because I'm getting annoyed at all of the external sounds coming into my music listening experience.

Ah... I wish you had it already so you could tell me if the AD700 really is worth it over the A700.
Quote:

Originally Posted by geremy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That review must be some kind of joke? An HD-555 performs better in what universe?

That's what I THOUGHT! It came up first in my google search though.
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AD700 or orthodynamic headphone.

Why not A700?
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you for all the posts
dt880smile.png
!

Feb 7, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by drizzt5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because of the superior sound?

Yes. I've never heard the A700, but the AD700 are marvelous.

Feb 7, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #22 of 46
x9 AD700s, Definitely no-brainer way better all-around HP. Getting AD900s in a few days, Have tried both A700/AD700, no-comparison in both SQ (dark, veiled, muddy, boomy) & comfort (hate pleather). Just get past their rather unique appearance (ugly), and you won't regret getting them. If it wasn't for the great deal I'm getting on the AD900s ($195 Shipped To Hawaii), I would purchase the AD700s w/o any hesitation (May still get them anyways). Many consider (Myself Included) the AD700s as the best HP @$100. Highly Recommended. Good Luck.
Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Feb 7, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #23 of 46
I just can't understand, why do people assume that the A700 sounds the same as the AD700? Let me just put it this way, the AD700 = one of the best bargains in the headphone world. The A700 = utter crap, very veiled and weak sounding and the RX900 is way superior. So either you get the AD700, or the RX900. Don't even consider the A700.

Feb 7, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #24 of 46
I don't know how you can say the A700 is veiled, it is not. Not in any way shape or form. It's not as forward as my 325is, but it is not veiled.

It is also my 'quickest' pair of cans and even the reviews which don't rate it highly say it is pretty much free from distortion, so it is not muddy either.

It is also not dark. In fact it can be quite sparkly.

It is sometimes boomy, but usually in a good way.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the people who are criticizing the A700 have spent very little (or zero) time with them.

Feb 7, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #25 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just can't understand, why do people assume that the A700 sounds the same as the AD700? Let me just put it this way, the AD700 = one of the best bargains in the headphone world. The A700 = utter crap, very veiled and weak sounding and the RX900 is way superior. So either you get the AD700, or the RX900. Don't even consider the A700.

Your advice as well as others makes me want to get the AD700 despite the A700 looking better.
Amazon.com: JVC HARX900 High-Grade Full-Size Headphone: Electronics
Are those comfy? I've never heard of them before... and after all the good things I've heard about the AD700 idk if i want them
smily_headphones1.gif
even if they are $40 cheaper.
Quote:

Originally Posted by geremy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know how you can say the A700 is veiled, it is not. Not in any way shape or form. It's not as forward as my 325is, but it is not veiled.

It is also my 'quickest' pair of cans and even the reviews which don't rate it highly say it is pretty much free from distortion, so it is not muddy either.

It is also not dark. In fact it can be quite sparkly.

It is sometimes boomy, but usually in a good way.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the people who are criticizing the A700 have spent very little (or zero) time with them.

Would you still recommend it over the AD700 though? They are both the same price about.

Feb 7, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #26 of 46
I would recommend the A700 if you would like more bass, more isolation and less leakage. If soundstage is the most important factor, then you should get the open version. Don't get me wrong, the soundstage on the closed version is absolutely huge, but sometimes it seems artificial and a maybe not so musical. That is really the only beef I have with the A700s.

If you have nothing to compare it to, I highly doubt you would notice. But dark, muddy and veiled it is most definitely not (and I am comparing to some of brightest, quickest and most forward cans in the 325i).

For me the extra bass is worth it. They are my only closed phone and the difference is very noticeable compared to the open phones.

I should also mention that the blue flecked black paint is absolutely stunning. It is a very impressive (and in my mind, very Japanese) visual.

Feb 7, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #27 of 46
I wan't you to all realize the best sound quality I've ever heard from a headset/Headphones was from my Razer Barracaduas HP-1's...They were just ungodly uncomfortable on my ears.

I imagine that they would be considered **** compared to these babies? (A700 or AD700)

Honestly... I much rather have the A700. A closed phone sounds much more appealing to me. I just would never forgive myself if they were horrible compared to the AD700 in a big way... which doesn't sound like it is the case.

I like bass, I would like more isolation as well as leakage although its not a huge deal.
My biggest concern's are
1. Is it comfortable? Long long hours and no irritation or pain?
2. Will I be able to hear footsteps as good as I could with my HP-1's in CS:S without making my eardrums bleed?

As long as the A700 can do that, I would like to get it. But if the AD700 is that much better, as It seems it is, then I don't know what to do :p

Feb 7, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #28 of 46
I wouldn't worry at all about comfort with any of the AT full size line. It's like wearing air.

I think they will be great for gaming. I have used them in TF2 from time to time, and they were excellent. I don't play counterstrike so I don't know how the sounds compare.

Feb 7, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #29 of 46
Well, I would disagree with geremy, I think they sound horrible compared not just to the AD700, but also to pretty much any semi-respectable headphone in its price range, including the D1000, ES7, RP21. Irregardless of that have you considered the RX900? To me it's superior to the A700, at a lower price. You might also want to consider the A900, I am not a big fan of it but it's a good improvement from the A700 and is at least respectable.

And in case you are looking for a portable phone, the A700 is not a feasible option, it's bulky and doesn't isolate that much. Why is sound leakage a huge issue for you anyway?

Feb 7, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #30 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I would disagree with geremy, I think they sound horrible compared not just to the AD700, but also to pretty much any semi-respectable headphone in its price range, including the D1000, ES7, RP21. Irregardless of that have you considered the RX900? To me it's superior to the A700, at a lower price. You might also want to consider the A900, I am not a big fan of it but it's a good improvement from the A700 and is at least respectable.

And in case you are looking for a portable phone, the A700 is not a feasible option, it's bulky and doesn't isolate that much. Why is sound leakage a huge issue for you anyway?

i thought the A700's were great at sound isolation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back