Technica-ATH-A700 or other?
Feb 6, 2009 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

drizzt5

New Head-Fier
After hurting my ears with both sound and actual physical pain from all these gamer headsets I have used I really REALLY want a comfortable headset!
I've been searching around and I found these on Amazon + I can clip on the little zalman mic for $11 and from what I've read so far these look like BEASTLY comfortable headsets for the price.

Amazon.com: Audio Technica ATH-A700 Closed-Back Dynamic Headphones With Double Air Damping: Electronics

I spend a lot of my time at my computer playing games and watching shows and movies and listening to music while doing other things like surfing the web. If these headsets are good for me, then I will order them. Are they good 4 me?

Also, to have them to plug into my sound card in the back of my comp should I think I need some kind of converter... could someone tell me what I need
smily_headphones1.gif
?

Feb 6, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #2 of 46
A700? Look into the AD700 instead. Better soundstage and more suitable for gaming. It is also extremely comfortable as well.

However, they are open as opposed to the A700 which is closed. The AD700 will leak sound, but if that is not an issue, it is superior to the A700.

Feb 6, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #3 of 46
just gonna second everything chews89 said.

Also, the zalmon mic seems like a good option.

EDIT: you also won't need any sort of convertor

Feb 6, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 46
Thanks for the posts.

I know that they are both comfy, but the sound leaking doesn't justify the A700 over the AD700?

I am seriously considering your advice now, I'm glad I didn't compulsive buy yet :p

Feb 6, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #5 of 46
Just adding that the fit issues are different between the two. The A700 has the superior, more 3D adjustment. May not be an issue, but something to consider depending on how small your head is. Like Chews said, start with the AD by default and see if you need to go to the A instead.

Feb 6, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #6 of 46
The only problem I have with the ad700's compared with the a700's is that I think the ad's are pretty ugly looking. Now granted they are cheaper, and supposedly have better sonic qualities that the a700's, they will definitely leak sound more and the bass will definitely be lacking compared with the a700.

Now if the fact that they are purple and that they leak sound doesn't bother you, then i would say go for the ad700's. If not, the a700's will definitely suit your needs.

Feb 6, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #7 of 46
as for "other"

the denon d1001 is very comfy and has more bass.

compare the diffrerences: ad700 vs d1001 and see which suits you best.

regards,
asmd.

Feb 6, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #8 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just adding that the fit issues are different between the two. The A700 has the superior, more 3D adjustment. May not be an issue, but something to consider depending on how small your head is. Like Chews said, start with the AD by default and see if you need to go to the A instead.

I'll keep that in mind, my head is average width I would say.
Quote:

Originally Posted by budman90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only problem I have with the ad700's compared with the a700's is that I think the ad's are pretty ugly looking. Now granted they are cheaper, and supposedly have better sonic qualities that the a700's, they will definitely leak sound more and the bass will definitely be lacking compared with the a700.

Now if the fact that they are purple and that they leak sound doesn't bother you, then i would say go for the ad700's. If not, the a700's will definitely suit your needs.

lol, I do agree, the AD700 looks way worse then the A700.
I was a little excited about having no sound leak out...
Yes, this is tough one now...
I do like my comp gear to look cool, but I've always been a fan of price/performance when building my gaming rigs...

I'm going to take looks out of the equation...

A700 vs AD700

A700:
Better bass
Better head adjustment (important if this will impact how comfortable I will be)
Doesn't leak sound

AD700:
cheaper
Sometimes have better sound qualities (?)

Any other headsets I should be thinking about?

I'm leaning for A700, the AD700's aren't that much cheaper.

Feb 6, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #9 of 46
sennheiser hd280pro

Feb 6, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #10 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by what? /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sennheiser hd280pro

Do you know how comfy they are and how do they compare to the a700's? I saw them for $85 but they don't look like they are closed and I haven't heard much about them.

Feb 6, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #11 of 46
I love my A700 but you really need to ask yourself 2 questions.

Do you need more bass or more clarity?

Do you like pleather earpads or velour?

For me, i'd take the A700s with AD700 earpads as the A700s get a bit warm on their own.

Feb 6, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #12 of 46
I rather have more clarity then bass, but as long as it has good clarity then I'll take it and bass is always nice.

I don't really know the difference between pleather and velour, but as long as it's comfy and not squeezing on my ears and hurting them then I am very happy
smily_headphones1.gif

I think the a700 looks good

Feb 6, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #13 of 46
Velour is more like fuzzy clothy material, Actually the AD700 could be suede too, i forget, but pleather is like fake leather thats really thin.

Both are comfy, and neither of the cans will squeeze your head or any thing like that, just that pleather tends to get your head warmer than wearing the Velour one.

Feb 6, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #14 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shingetsu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Velour is more like fuzzy clothy material, Actually the AD700 could be suede too, i forget, but pleather is like fake leather thats really thin.

Both are comfy, and neither of the cans will squeeze your head or any thing like that, just that pleather tends to get your head warmer than wearing the Velour one.

This Review doesn't seem to love the A700...
Audio-Technica ATH-A700 Reviews - Over-Ear - Headphones and Headsets - Personal Electronics - Technology Reviews - washingtonpost.com
Of course they review it as $300

I still am leaning towards it.

Feb 6, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #15 of 46
I just grabbed a pair of AD700s this past week and they're en route to me as I type this. I had about the same conflict, but in the end I decided on the AD700s because of everyone's praise of the open version's endless sound stage (which is a huge plus if you're playing FPS) and superior SQ. Admittedly they're bass lean and has a one-size-fits-all style (you can rubberband the wings together and bend the headband to adjust it), but I made my choice. I'll get back to you when I receive them :]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back