TechFlex Size
Sep 21, 2009 at 1:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Carter54

Head-Fier
I am starting to build my own cables and have ordered all of the parts I need except for the cable wrap.

I am using Carnare star quad and Mini Quad cable. I read in one of the forums that for normal star quad that 3/8 Techflex is recommended.

What size techFlex for the Mini Star quad?

Has anyone used the Nylon multifilament techflex: https://www.wirecare.com/products.asp?prodline=NM

Is the sizing different for the Nylon vs the regular techflex?

I would really like the use the Nylon for the Headphone cable I am building I dislike the heatshrink feeling that i get from the Clou Blue that I currently use for my HD600.

Thanks in advance

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 11
I used 1/8" on the last two cables I made (StarQuad). I wanted it to look a little stretched, but I would imagine if you don't want the cable's sleeve to show, you would use a larger size, and 3/8" might do it.

Sep 21, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 11
You used 1/8" nylon multifilament on the ministarqaud?? From my experience you can use 1/8" techflex on the mini starquad as it is expandable but for nylon multifilament 3/8" would be quite loose - I use 3/16" for a very good fit on the mini star quad cable. It's a bit of work getting the nylon multifilament on but it looks real nice.

Sep 21, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bik2101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You used 1/8" nylon multifilament on the ministarqaud?? From my experience you can use 1/8" techflex on the mini starquad as it is expandable but for nylon multifilament 3/8" would be quite loose - I use 3/16" for a very good fit on the mini star quad cable. It's a bit of work getting the nylon multifilament on but it looks real nice.

What Size nylon for hte Regular star Quad? Does the Nylon stretch like regular tech Flex?

Thanks for the replies guys Ill be ordering tonight.

Sep 22, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #7 of 11
nylon does not stretch - the size you buy is pretty much the maximum size. I have used 1/4" nylon on the regular starquad... but just to make sure just check the outer diameter of the star quad cable you will be buying and just buy the nylon size accordingly.

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bik2101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nylon does not stretch - the size you buy is pretty much the maximum size. I have used 1/4" nylon on the regular starquad... but just to make sure just check the outer diameter of the star quad cable you will be buying and just buy the nylon size accordingly.

I was trying to order it all at the same time so it gets here together but I think I will wait and measure it thanks for all of the replies. My parts order from markertek already shipped.

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #9 of 11
you don't have to measure it... just check the specifications on the star quad cable - it will list an OD - this is the outer diameter.

Oct 18, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #10 of 11
Ill just highjack this thread...

Im ordering the 24 guage john's ebay silver teflon special. The OD of this wire is 0.0435 inch (1.10mm). Im not sure what techflex size to get when i wrap the wire, i figure the tightest quad twist would be 1/8", so i should get 1/8" ID techflex? Should i do a twisted quad or dual twisted pair?

Oct 19, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #11 of 11
yeah the 1/8" techflex will stretch more than enough to get around a quad twist of 24AWG. but not so with the nylon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back