Tech support problem! (DVD-RW Drive help)
Feb 19, 2009 at 9:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

iareConfusE

100+ Head-Fier
Not sure where else to put this, I don't think it belongs in computer audio because its nothing audio related.

The CD drive (Lite-ON CD-RW SOHR-5238S) I put in my new comp recognizes discs, it can read them no problem, but it can't burn them. I've tried two different burning softwares (deep burner & WMP), and both say driver error, however I have tried burning with three different drives, one of which I am 100% sure that works, because after I put it back in the comp I removed it from I was able to burn a CD without issues. I've updated the firmware for the cd drive (totally unnecessary), still nothing. I've also tried reducing the burn speed on the program to minimal, and still no luck. I've tried almost everything I've found on the internet, and nothing has worked yet.

Here's the parts for my comp:
-Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core
-OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
-GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
-Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s HD

I don't think it could be an issue with the IDE cable since it reads discs just fine, but I'm thinking of buying a SATA DVD-RW drive in hopes that this problem fixes itself with the switch.

Help please.

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:32 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTheMiataMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sounds like a bum drive. RMA?

Its an old drive, but I don't think thats the problem. I mentioned that I tried it with a drive that I know works for sure. I have a feeling it may be some random compatibility issue, but I have no idea why that would be the case. All of the drives I have tried are PATA drives, and maybe I just need to use a SATA drive or something, I don't know.

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTheMiataMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Didnt you say the other drive worked tho? If one drive works on the cable and one drive doesnt then you have either drive issue or driver issue i'd assume.

It worked in my old computer (the computer I originally pulled it out of). I have not yet successfully burned a CD on my new computer setup with any of the drives I have tried.

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bernado /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure you know that is a cd burner not dvd burner, right? Just your post title says DVD (RW)

I tried to burn a CD, not a DVD anyway.

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by AwakenedBeing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have any virtual drives like Daemon Tools?

No. I haven't found the need to mount any images yet, so I haven't installed Daemon Tools on my new comp yet.

Edit: Ordering a SATA drive from Newegg right now, if this doesn't fix it, I don't know what will...

Feb 19, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by iareConfusE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No. I haven't found the need to mount any images yet, so I haven't installed Daemon Tools on my new comp yet.

Edit: Ordering a SATA drive from Newegg right now, if this doesn't fix it, I don't know what will...

Isnt there a buffer or cash setting in the device manager for the drive? Some optical drives are not compatible with this and you may need to change that setting. It been so long I dont remember what its called but check it out and give it a try.

Feb 19, 2009 at 10:49 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isnt there a buffer or cash setting in the device manager for the drive? Some optical drives are not compatible with this and you may need to change that setting. It been so long I dont remember what its called but check it out and give it a try.

I'm looking at the device manager options for this drive, and I don't see any options to change such settings.

Feb 19, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #12 of 18
Could be your RAM. I use an old burner that fails to verify post-burn whenever my RAM is shot. Also, I use IMGBURN and burn at the appropriate speeds with the proper media.

Feb 19, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #13 of 18
I bet it is being caused by some crap DRM software. Look in msconfig and see if you have C-Dilla by Macrovision auto loading. I had the same issue recently and found C-Dilla loading on start up. These DRM companies are vile and I hate them with a passion. At least they could have the decency to make sure their crapware is not going to give us issues but they don't and that is why I hate them. Lots of game boxes even say that the DRM may not work with your hardware.

The only way to test my theory for sure is to put the DVD-RW drive in a known clean computer and see if it works fine there or not. But then Starforce DRM has been known to kill some drives permannently and I actually suspect it of killing 2 in a row for me but have no hard evidence so can't prove it.

Feb 19, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could be your RAM. I use an old burner that fails to verify post-burn whenever my RAM is shot. Also, I use IMGBURN and burn at the appropriate speeds with the proper media.

Ran memtest86+, nothing came up. Everything else works fine with the RAM though. My BIOS reports it to be running stable at its advertised speed as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back