Team USA coach Herb Brooks has passed.
Aug 11, 2003 at 9:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

williamgoody

Banned
WFAN in NY is reporting that hockey coach Herb Brooks has passed apparently from a car accident.

Brooks was the USA hockey coach during the 2002 Olympics, as well as the USA coach in 1980, the "miracle on ice" team.

Possibly the greatest hockey game I've ever watched was the USA/USSR game during the 1980 games. I'm sure a number of you probably remember it as well.

Aug 11, 2003 at 10:14 PM Post #2 of 17
The sad part is the minor coverage on espn.com and cnnsi.com. Small breaking news on the front pages.

tsn.ca in Canada however, it's the top story with more details about the accident than either American sites.

A single car rollover accident sounds survivable. A rollover with an ejection is not usually survivable. Highly likely that he didn't have a seatbelt on. It's not easy to get ejected with one of them on.

He will be missed. First Roger and now Herb. *sniff*

Aug 12, 2003 at 5:49 AM Post #3 of 17
Thanks for passing this along. I didn't even know. I remember that game like it was yesterday, it was the most exciting sports event I have ever seen.

Aug 12, 2003 at 6:48 AM Post #4 of 17
Its been the top sports story here in Canada all evening on all the TV and radio stations.

I remember the game too... it was the beginning of the end for the USSR. Mind over matter.

Aug 12, 2003 at 9:26 AM Post #5 of 17
i give the guy tons of respect for doing the impossible, beating the soviets in hockey. But what kind of ****ing moron dies because he wasn't wearing his seatbelt? It takes you two seconds... well, it takes me less, but it takes under 4 for most people. It doesn't even bother me because I put belt on w/one hand and do the pre-drive scratch & shift with the other hand. So it's all part of the routine. This guy's able to coordinate a team of guys on the ice to take down the evil communists (i have nothing against communism, just trying to make it sound cool,
biggrin.gif
) and can't coordinate his own friggin' seatbelt. When will people pull their heads out of their ass?

Aug 12, 2003 at 9:57 AM Post #6 of 17
frown.gif

my respects to herb brooks. that miracle on ice still gives me chills.

Aug 12, 2003 at 10:36 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by AIM9x
i give the guy tons of respect for doing the impossible, beating the soviets in hockey. But what kind of ****ing moron dies because he wasn't wearing his seatbelt? It takes you two seconds... well, it takes me less, but it takes under 4 for most people. It doesn't even bother me because I put belt on w/one hand and do the pre-drive scratch & shift with the other hand. So it's all part of the routine. This guy's able to coordinate a team of guys on the ice to take down the evil communists (i have nothing against communism, just trying to make it sound cool,
biggrin.gif
) and can't coordinate his own friggin' seatbelt. When will people pull their heads out of their ass?

Well, I've had enough. I've tried to keep quiet but to hell with it. I've been here 3 weeks and have read a LOT of threads and I don't think I've read many posts from you where you haven't been rude and insulting.

What is your freaking problem?

Do you feel more like a man by dissing a dead guy?

(Moderators, if you want to warn me or ban me for speaking out then I'll be glad to go. I came here to enjoy headphones and not read posts from insensitive jerks.)

(The following is for the intelligent people on Head-Fi.)

He was 66 years old. That means he was born before WWII. He probably learned to drive in the 50s. He probably spent more years of his life driving without a seatbelt than with one (they haven't been mandatory for all that long you know).

I know a lot of people in their 60s and 70s who forget to put on their seatbelts unless you remind them.

I'm an avid cyclist and I've worn helmets since I was a kid and it's automatic for me to wear one. I know a lot of older riders who don't wear them because they spent more years riding a bike without a helmet than most of us have been alive.

Yes it would be nice if they wore seatbelts and bike helmets but old habits die hard.

So give them a break, will you?

Aug 12, 2003 at 12:08 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Was it really necessary to post this at his time? Do you feel better after doing so?

Aug 12, 2003 at 4:00 PM Post #9 of 17
The Hockey family has lost two great coaches this year...First Roger Neilson and now Herb Brooks.

It is a great loss for Hockey USA.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

frown.gif

Aug 12, 2003 at 4:31 PM Post #10 of 17
he's a great man and all and my condolences go out to his family... but he would be a great survivor and pull the impossible yet again if he had only done one small thing. All i meant was that I hoped it would be a reminder to everybody to actually start wearing your seatbelts (if you don't already wear them). Don't let his death not have meaning.

i know my dad doesn't wear a seatbelt. He got into a pretty big accident, came out of it alive, and still doesn't wear the thing. If he were to read this, i would hope that the first thing he thought was "poor guy" and the second would be "****, should start wearing my seatbelt"

wilson M: first off, you don't go into the member's lounge to read about headphones. you go into the member's lounge to hear people talk about bad things that have happened or hear people talk about cool things that have happened. Secondly, if you think all my posts are rude and insulting, it's probably because you're a pessimist and whenever you read my good posts, you don't care. And it's also probably because you, like many others on this board (but not the majority), lack a sense of humor.

oh, and that post wasn't my first response to the guy dying. I had already read the espn.com article a good hour before seeing this post. The quote that got me on the ESPN article, "He apparently wasn't wearing a seat belt and was found about 40 yards from the vehicle, dead at the scene." I interpreted that as getting launched 40 yards which really got me thinking about the whole seatbelt thing.

Aug 12, 2003 at 5:08 PM Post #11 of 17
If your posts often seem rude and insulting though you didn't intend them to be, maybe it's because you haven't been using enough tact.

I wasn't even born yet during that legendary game and both my parents were still in the USSR. If they had been fans of hockey, they would have been cheering for the USA. I did watch a number of the games in 2002, including vs. the Russians, Canadians, and several of the eastern European countries. Our team was good and it was no small feat to get to the finals and play a solid game with a clearly superior Canadian team.

But nothing in 2002 compares with what Brooks had to do in 1980. Everyone knew that the Soviets were paying off professional athletes to play in the olympics (strictly against the rules and the spirit of the olympics). Team USA had not a single professional player -- it was just a young amateur team. Aside from what was probably a huge difference in levels of patriotism, it must have taken a great coach to tap that raw young talent and direct it against a more-experienced group.

If this isn't sad news, I don't know what is.

Aug 12, 2003 at 6:23 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

if you think all my posts are rude and insulting, it's probably because you're a pessimist and whenever you read my good posts, you don't care. And it's also probably because you, like many others on this board (but not the majority), lack a sense of humor.

i've read a lot of your posts and i can see why someone would think you need to get a hold of that vituperative edge. it's not that many people lack a sense of humor i just think that everybody's humor is different.

but anyways this is the wrong time and the wrong place. all apoligies for the thread-jack. all love to coach brooks. he will be missed.

Aug 13, 2003 at 1:10 AM Post #14 of 17
AIM9x: I just think that it is more useful to readers to post a thoughtful comment on the need to use seatbelts.

I'm glad to hear that you are concerned for your father's safety as we all should be of the people around us. If you had posted a comment integrating your father's experience then that would have been so much more productive.

I'm fully aware that the Member's Lounge is for non-headphone related threads but that still doesn't give anyone the right to be rude and obnoxious.

Herb Brooks made a mistake. He made a bad choice and it cost him his life. If you can honestly tell me that you've never made a mistake or a bad choice in your life then we will praise you with song and verse.

What do you hope to accomplish when you snipe at people?

Maybe you find your brand of humour funny but some of us don't. I don't try to cram my brand of humour down your throat, please extend the same courtesy to others.

I apologise if I exaggerated your good/rant post ratio. I've read good posts from you but I've read more than enough rants. After a while, people will just stop reading what you have to say even if it is useful because they don't want to bother to have to separate the good ideas from the rants.

I believe in free speech and you are entitled to write whatever you wish to write. But if you want to keep being insulting, rude and sometimes nonsensical then we will just tune you out.

Anyhow, I've gone off-topic long enough.

Aug 13, 2003 at 3:30 AM Post #15 of 17
Hey Guys let's keep the tone civil........ thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back