Team Thrifty-fi! (aka statement of cash flows)
Feb 5, 2007 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

FooTemps

500+ Head-Fier
I have yet to see any claim to be a thrifty head-fier. Anyone else around here try to minimize all losses on their headphone addiction?

($150) : Grado SR-225 purchase
($50) : PA2v2 purchase
($7) : ratshack pads and 1/4 to mini adapter
$200 : Sold Grado SR-225
$45 : Sold PA2v2
$10 : kept starquad IC that came with PA2v2
($31) : International shipping
($10) : CONUS shipping
($11) : KSC-75 purchase
($98) : Meizu M6 2g black
($27) : 3x SR660
$40 : Sold 2 SR660
($15) : CONUS shipping
($14) : BKH3
($9) : Bone enclosure mod parts
($35) : QP55x

Feb 5, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #2 of 30
This is a good point that needs to be bumped up and emphasized. Thanks to the community of crazy headphone listeners, one can sell off their old equipment.
Being a poor-ass university student myself, I understand the need to keep losses down.
I'm currently in the red for the first time in a while, having just purchased an amplifier. Taking a year off to work full time will do that. But when I receive it in the mail I will immediately begin selling off other parts of my audio collection - it's just not smart to keep capital lying around.
Definitely an important point for ANY head-fi'er.

Feb 5, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #3 of 30
When I first started here, I was sure that I would simply continue to amass gear, never selling anything and ultimately owning a collection of sorts.

Check one year later and I have sold two amps and three pairs of headphones.

What's changed is I have recognized the realities of the vibrant FS forums here, combined with the fact that truly, sometimes a piece of kit just isn't worth keeping if it doesn't work for you on some level. Why keep something unless you're going to use it again?

In addition, and this can be hard sometimes, I recognize that I'm in this hobby for the long haul. I don't have the money to constantly try new things out (thank goodness for meets!), but it doesn't really matter: Buying a headphone, amp, source, whatever NOW is no different than buying it later. I'm young. I'll have time to hear and have everything I want to.

I wouldn't say I'm thrifty - I'm far to irresponsible for that
very_evil_smiley.gif
. At the moment, however, my spending is curbed and I'll simply keep a savings fund aside for the (inevitable) next leg of my journey.

Feb 5, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #4 of 30
I think I've done pretty well in the "bang-for-the-buck" game. Having owned all three of the top deals of all time (K501 - $100, DT880 - $150, HD580 - $125) and having owned the cheapest yet powerful little tube amp (Lunchbox - $160), then having sold them all and sticking to only one main headphone and one main amp, I can solidly say that I've done pretty well with myself. Even my beloved E4C have been replaced with the JVC Marshies.

Feb 5, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #5 of 30
Between all the buying, selling, and trading I have done, I think I got my K701and Head-Five for . . . . .
less than free
icon10.gif

j/k
tongue.gif

but buying Used on the F/S forums here I did manage a decent rig for both home use and portable at an exceptional price.

Feb 5, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by FooTemps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have yet to see any claim to be a thrifty head-fier. Anyone else around here try to minimize all losses on their headphone addiction?

Yes..check my sig. Welcome to Team Cheapskate, your dues are only $5 a year.
wink.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Between all the buying, selling, and trading I have done, I think I got my K701and Head-Five for . . . . .
less than free
icon10.gif

j/k
tongue.gif

but buying Used on the F/S forums here I did manage a decent rig for both home use and portable at an exceptional price.

Hey, you could always follow my lead and throw all that bang-for-buck goodness out the window by upgrading your SR225...
very_evil_smiley.gif
rs1smile.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, you could always follow my lead and throw all that bang-for-buck goodness out the window by upgrading your SR225...
very_evil_smiley.gif
rs1smile.gif

That thought has crossed my mind in fact . . . . . but in the interest of being thrifty, I think I will stay where I am for a while. At least until that winning lottery ticket comes along.

Feb 5, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 30
Bear in mind I'm in the UK...

OK now;
£120 for used UM2, but good as new with new tips. I consider this an excellent price
£188 Tomahawk (inc del. and taxes).... not really thrifty but with the weak $, a good a time as any to buy. That's how I'm justifying it anyway
tongue.gif

Unfortunately I paid £150 for the E4's, but that was over a year ago. I know I have somewhat spent big, but apart from mistakes with 2x Sony EX71, I haven't spent big and regretted it, so I think I'm somewhat thrifty(?)
biggrin.gif

Edit: student loan paid for all in my sig but for E4, HJE50 and PX100s. Interest free loan, payable by £9 p/wk for £15,000 starting salary upon graduation. Is that thrifty or just being a lucky [
evil_smiley.gif
]?
tongue.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #10 of 30
I'd be in good shape if it weren't for the USPS and Paypal.

Feb 6, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #14 of 30
i think i'm pretty thrifty on the head-fi stuff too. most of my stuff were gift money/cards that i used to buy head-fi gear. out of pocket spent = minimal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back