teach me how to use semi-colon ; when compiling items.
Nov 23, 2010 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Konig

1000+ Head-Fier
I know it can be used to list different things in a sentence but provide some clarity on how they are separate e.g. I went to Toronto, Ontario; Los Angeles, California; and Orlando Florida.

My question now is: what if I have different verbs in the list as well?

e.g.
Clomipramine should be used with extreme caution by patient who has past or present medical conditions such as convulsive disorders, heart disease, glaucoma, over reactive thyroid disorder, low blood pressure,  adrenal tumor and urinating difficulties; is a children, elderly, pregnant woman or woman who breastfeeds; exhibits behavior that is suicidal, compulsive or agitated; is on medication that can interact adversly with Clomipramine; is undergoing ECT which may hinder the efficacy of Clomipramine; and is in an occupation where drowsiness can cause safety risks.

In this case, Im trying to group when Clomipramine has to be used with extra caution. 1) medical conditions 2) age/woman with special circumstances 3) medication 4) treatment 5) occupation. I wonder if the underlined sentence is still gramatically correct?

question 2 is regarding  a,b,c or d VS a,b,c and d in  "is a children, elderly, pregnant woman or woman who breastfeeds"

Is it correct when listing items to use something like X, Y and Z; A, B and C; and G, H and K. -> have I used all the "and" at the right places?

Thanks in advance! English is a brutal language to truly master.

Nov 23, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #2 of 2
question 2 is regarding  a,b,c or d VS a,b,c and d in  "is a children, elderly, pregnant woman or woman who breastfeeds"

Is it correct when listing items to use something like X, Y and Z; A, B and C; and G, H and K. -> have I used all the and at the right places?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back