Teach me about speaker cables..
Jul 15, 2007 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

donor

Banned
My first and main question here is this:
Can someone recommend me some speaker cables I can buy online for $20 (specifically in europe).

I'm not sure how important this information is, I know nothing about speaker cables and don't even know how they are supposed to be terminated or what it looks like:

I have a Trends TA 10.1 Amp and TBI Majestic Diamond Bookshelf Speakers.

My second question is this:

Are there different types of speaker cables in regards to how they connect? I mean, what does the termination look like? This is why I'm even asking for suggestions on speaker cables in the first place because I don't even know what it's supposed to look like or what type of cable I'm looking for. When I search online for "speaker cables" I see cables with different terminations.

Someone please educate me. I need to get these cables ASAP.

Jul 15, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #2 of 10
Jul 15, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #3 of 10
While others may have differing opinions, my feeling is that once you get decent quality (14 gauge or larger, durable) speaker cables, little or nothing is gained from spending more. I would stick with spending no more than ~$30 for speaker cable + termination, unless you have a very long cable run to do.

Regarding speaker cable termination, it's a matter of what your speaker/amp will accept and personal taste. Based on a quick look at a picture of the back of the 10.1 amp, it seems to have 5-way binding posts. This will allow you to use banana plugs, bare wire, or spade terminals. Other than the convenience associated with spades and banana plugs, they don't offer any increased sound quality. Your decision should be based on budget (as banana plugs and spades are usually sold separately from the speaker wire), and what type of connection you prefer--if you'll be connecting and removing the wire often, then the added convenience of banana plugs or spades may be worth it, but otherwise I would stick with bare wire.

Jul 15, 2007 at 12:15 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by donor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My first and main question here is this:
Can someone recommend me some speaker cables I can buy online for $20 (specifically in europe).

I'm not sure how important this information is, I know nothing about speaker cables and don't even know how they are supposed to be terminated or what it looks like:

I have a Trends TA 10.1 Amp and TBI Majestic Diamond Bookshelf Speakers.

My second question is this:

Are there different types of speaker cables in regards to how they connect? I mean, what does the termination look like? This is why I'm even asking for suggestions on speaker cables in the first place because I don't even know what it's supposed to look like or what type of cable I'm looking for. When I search online for "speaker cables" I see cables with different terminations.

Someone please educate me. I need to get these cables ASAP.

I use Radioshack 12 gauge speaker wire between my Odyssey Khartago power amp and my Von Schweikert VR-1 speakers which will both accept this very large wire.Use 16 gauge speaker wire unless you know your gear will accept a larger size.

Jul 15, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #5 of 10
Thank you for that information.

When you say bare wire... Does that literally mean I can use bare wire? what do I do just shove the end of the wire into the amps speaker ports?

I think I would prefer something with the banana plugs. If anyone can recommend me some decent speaker cables with the banana plugs for around $20 (in eu) please let me know.

I'm going to look around online now.

Jul 15, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by donor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you say bare wire... Does that literally mean I can use bare wire? what do I do just shove the end of the wire into the amps speaker ports?

Wire strippers dude.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

Just strip off about an inch of insulation from each end of the speaker wire and NEATLY connect the bare wire to your posts/speaker terminals. I wouldnt recommend "shoving" anything.

-Clay

Jul 15, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #7 of 10
Yes, bare wire literally means that you strip off some of the insulation at the end of the speaker cable and use the bare wire to make the contact. With 5-way binding posts, if you unscrew the cap, you will see a hole in the actual post (this is for use with bare wire or pins). Just stick the stripped wire into the hole and clamp the top back down. Easy as pie.

Jul 16, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #8 of 10
I doubt you'll find a set of cables with banana plugs for $20, especially if you aren't attaching the banana plugs yourself. That's extra labor for the cable manufacturers.

Think about it this way:

Quote:

Two 6' Belden 12 AWG white cables from BJC: $4.80
Four pairs of banana plugs: $14

Total = $18.80 + shipping

versus

Quote:

Two 6' Belden 12 AWG white cables pre-terminated with banana plugs: $31.80

Total = $31.80 + shipping

I'm a fan of bare wire, too. The less connections, the better.

Jul 17, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt you'll find a set of cables with banana plugs for $20, especially if you aren't attaching the banana plugs yourself. That's extra labor for the cable manufacturers.

Think about it this way:

versus

I'm a fan of bare wire, too. The less connections, the better.

I'm thinking of just ordering these (bare wire) since I can't find any online stores based in europe.

Should I buy 2 sets of these cables? or 4? Because there's the red and black input on each speaker..

Jul 17, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #10 of 10
You'll need two lengths of speaker cable. Each single cable has both black and red wires enclosed in either a gray or white covering (your choice). Also, there's no price difference between getting, for example, two 6' lengths versus one 12' length, so don't feel obligated to go too small or large. You can always cut a cable shorter, after all.

image_mini

Here's a picture of the end of a single length of BJC 10 AWG white cable with banana plugs on the end. The 12 AWG will be thinner than 10 AWG; the higher the number, the smaller the wire. For your purpose, there will be no difference, except 12 AWG is significantly easier to fit into your amplifier's binding posts (though it may still be a tight fit).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back