TEAC UD-301
Jun 4, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #227 of 283
Well i'm loving my 301,got a new QED usb cable and a Chord Company C-Line 0.5m interconnect and loving the sound from it.

Was there a reason for the new USB cable? I don't like to use USB connections since I'm on windows and I've had too many issues with USB drivers for one device interfering with USB drivers for another device so I always use optical or coax these days. I remember the first Modi USB DAC that I got had issues with one USB cable but upon using any USB cable with ferrite rings on the ends I haven't had any issues.

Jun 5, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #228 of 283
Was there a reason for the new USB cable? I don't like to use USB connections since I'm on windows and I've had too many issues with USB drivers for one device interfering with USB drivers for another device so I always use optical or coax these days. I remember the first Modi USB DAC that I got had issues with one USB cable but upon using any USB cable with ferrite rings on the ends I haven't had any issues.
I use usb because i bought it to use on my pc and DSD and higher frequencies only work through usb,and as the 301 does not come with a usb cable i did not want to use some stock old cable i had lying about so bought a good one to go with it.

Jun 21, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #233 of 283
I just ordered a black UD-301. Supposed to be a factory refurb with same 1-y warranty. Price was hard to beat, even compared to used. Looking forward to setting it up. I'll be using it in my main 2-ch system with a headless thin client Dell/Wyse PC running Volumio. This is replacing a laptop w/VXPocket setup that I've been using for years. I was looking for something that could do balanced and DSD without breaking the bank.

For USB, I'll have to settle for a Belkin Gold for now.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #234 of 283
More than happy with my new UD-301. I enjoyed it all weekend. It handled every format I threw at it and sounded great. I was surprised at the quality of the headphone output as well. Perhaps I haven't heard my Senn HD580 with great amplification in a few years, but to me, they sounded about as good as they did back when I had a Little Dot MkV. Much better than the output from my Sony UDA-1.

Jun 28, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #235 of 283
Yes the HP output is rather good indeed as long as you don't connect a super high impedance hp to it, but since it can be connected to various amps to counter that which makes it a very versatile product indeed. Enjoy!

Sep 4, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #236 of 283
Yes the HP output is rather good indeed as long as you don't connect a super high impedance hp to it, but since it can be connected to various amps to counter that which makes it a very versatile product indeed. Enjoy!

No surprise, but it drives my HD600s much better than my portable HP amp (Sony Pha-1A), albeit at near max levels. What IS a surprise is that I hadn't planned on connecting my PC speakers to the RCA outs on the back (didn't even know I could at first), but I am now a prisoner in my own home office because I'm in such bliss I forget to leave :) These are a pretty great 2.1 set (Altec Lansing Expressionist Ultra MX6021) I bought 5 or 6 years ago that didn't suit my recent jazz addiction because the bass was usually just too heavy. Running them from the Teac ud-3101 instead of the PC itself balanced the lows MUCH better, and led me to think about equalizing even more. Still one more thing I've learned from the great folks here at head-fi: Equalizing strategies. EqualizerAPO with Peace Equalizer interface gives me complete and free control of everything, and makes it so easy (and fun) to configure each output device separately. Great video support at the links, too.

As a couple others here noticed, at its highest frequency setting, every once in awhile it meets a streaming tune it doesn't like, and just goes silent. This is not a big deal to me at all. At worst, restarting something or other resolves the problem. For its versatility, power, size, and weight, it's truly great.

Sep 4, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #237 of 283
Well my UD 301 died for some reason. It still reports that it receives the digital signal bot nothing from any of it's analog outputs to the downstream amp, or directly from it's HP amp. Yaeh just about a year old, got it from Massdrop.

Sep 4, 2017 at 2:50 AM Post #238 of 283
Well my UD 301 died for some reason. It still reports that it receives the digital signal bot nothing from any of it's analog outputs to the downstream amp, or directly from it's HP amp. Yaeh just about a year old, got it from Massdrop.
I guess you tried changing the frequency selection and all that? It does seem a little finicky at the top frequencies.

Sep 4, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #239 of 283
I guess you tried changing the frequency selection and all that? It does seem a little finicky at the top frequencies.
You mean the sampling rate. No that's not it, no matter of the input source there is simply no output,the digital signal shows being locked as it should, I also used the Coax input from my Oppo DVD-A/Cd player, nothing, so it's not just the USB input. It's rather disappointing indeed. I already hooked up my old Parasound Z DAC which of course works just fine with the same set up, same cables and amps. Something went wrong with the UD-301's analog section simple is that.

Sep 4, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #240 of 283
You mean the sampling rate. No that's not it, no matter of the input source there is simply no output,the digital signal shows being locked as it should, I also used the Coax input from my Oppo DVD-A/Cd player, nothing, so it's not just the USB input. It's rather disappointing indeed. I already hooked up my old Parasound Z DAC which of course works just fine with the same set up, same cables and amps. Something went wrong with the UD-301's analog section simple is that.
If you feel like exploring your Teac, maybe you have the problem this head-fier had (top of page 11 of this thread for graphics and more):
Just gonna drop this here in case anyone else has this happen in the future...

A couple of weeks ago I fired up the stereo to find I wasn't getting any audio out of the UD-301, neither the rear RCA jacks nor the headphone out. Computer could see it as a DAC and it would lock onto digital signals from either the USB or optical inputs with the LED showing the correct bitrate, but no sound from the outputs. Another giveaway was that I wasn't hearing the relay click.
I opened it up and probed around with my multimeter and found nothing obviously burned/charred, no voltage on the opamp supply pins. Fortunately the really obvious candidate turned out to be correct - the fuses for the analog section had blown. They are Littelfuse 372 series through-hole type, the little red parts by the two big 4700uF caps:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back