Teac Reference Line UD-501 USB DAC "DSD"
May 23, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #451 of 550
I used to own the Asus Xonar Essence One with Muses, I really miss the sound signature of the Muses quite a bit that I need to get it back... However I didn't like the Asus dac itself which is why I'm here.

My question is can anyone here confirm that the sound signature is somewhat the same but with a better package with the Teac?

Cheers,

Jun 1, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #452 of 550
Has anyone else had a problem with the clock in the UD-501.

Mine has trouble locking onto a sample rate.  Frequently (at least once per listening session), the sample rate randomly changes -- i.e., from DSD to white noise to PCM. 

I find this very annoying, since, unfortunately my warranty is up.

I have seen posts on others sites that others have had problem with the clock, and firmware would likely fix this.

However, Teac has never issued any firmware updates.

Jun 1, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #453 of 550
  Has anyone else had a problem with the clock in the UD-501.

Mine has trouble locking onto a sample rate.  Frequently (at least once per listening session), the sample rate randomly changes -- i.e., from DSD to white noise to PCM. 

I find this very annoying, since, unfortunately my warranty is up.

I have seen posts on others sites that others have had problem with the clock, and firmware would likely fix this.

However, Teac has never issued any firmware updates.

Nope, no such problem. Probably around 2000 hours on mine with not one problem.

Jun 3, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #454 of 550
Does anyone know if this DAC is worth for Sennheiser HD 650? I'm wondering if buying this instead of ASUS essence one MKII  is the best decision. Some say the UD 501 needs a headphone amp separately....!!!! is it true?

Jun 3, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #455 of 550
  Does anyone know if this DAC is worth for Sennheiser HD 650? I'm wondering if buying this instead of ASUS essence one MKII  is the best decision. Some say the UD 501 needs a headphone amp separately....!!!! is it true?

I asked pretty much the same question awhile back still no answer.

I had the ASUS essence one as a dac/amp it had a few problems.... However the Muses op-amps gave it a beautiful sound. UD 501 only has one problem with what I've read and its with the DSD sometimes changing back to PCM with white noise.

Still I would go with UD 501, E1 had bigger problems

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #458 of 550
Hi Guys,

I am new to Teac products, willing to upgrade from my Geek Pulse SFi, which is a dual mono DAC with Femto clocks and bla bla bla. What do you suggest?

I have read some great reviews on other websites about Teac 501, not so many about 503 so far. I was just wondering if anyone having Geek and a Teac has compared them both. Please feel free to PM if it is off topic about 503.

I am interested to buy internationally.

Thanks
LR

Jul 31, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #461 of 550
Anyone notice the USB PCB in the Teac is surprisingly similar to the ones in the Esoteric D-02X dac and K-01X sacd player? The 501 seems to be very good value for trickle down technology!

the chip used is a TI DSP probably with custom code for USB decoding.

Aug 24, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #462 of 550
buson160man:
The sound is just so palpable I just can not resist playing all my best cds one after another and each time I hear a lot more resolution and a beguiling musicality that I have never heard from any dac even ones that are obscenely priced. As I had stated before this is  a dac that vinyl lovers can really appreciate.

koiloco
The TEAC came this morning.  So far after 4 hours, initial impressions are very positive but I have to say that the TEAC makes me appreciate the Fiio E17 even more.  At this point, while there are absolute improvements in SQ, it's not as big as I was thinking or expecting.  A few words to best describe the TEAC at this point would be :

1.  "Smooth".  It totally smooths out my Q701 and makes it sound a lot more "velvet".
2.  "Relaxing" with great details, especially in the bass.
3.  "Pretty".  Nice looking box with great build quality.
4.  "Open sound". With the Q701 and HE500 running off the built in amp, the sound is not closed in and congested like in the E17.
5.  "Even" across the range.

Purrin (http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/thoughts-on-a-bunch-of-dacs-and-why-delta-sigma-kinda-sucks-just-to-get-you-to-think-about-stuff)
Teac UD-501 (Coax from Sony Transport)
Presents a staticy unrefined grain found in many low cost low performance products. An overall rough unrefined signature which imparts itself upon the music. Not too different from many mediocre or poor quality headphones and amps. On the analytical side with on the moderately high scale in false detail. Slightly lean. The treble, while not as bad as most SABRE implementations, screams delta-sigma. It gets annoying after a while. It ain't exactly cheap either. If you really want to try DSD / DoP, try the Schiit Loki first.

Out of curiosity, I own and love the Teac UD-301 myself, I have read some opinions about its bigger brother.
The first two opinions are completely in line with what I feel about my cheaper UD-301.
But then I visited the thread Purrin started and I couldn't believe what I read. The one thing that strikes me, well with the UD-301 that is, is the complete lack of grain in the sound.
I don't blame Purrin's set-up, via coaxial and a Sony as transport, that shouldn't make the sound unrefined and grainy. Maybe Purrin had a bad day? With this I mean, sometimes things just don't sound right, it could be fatigue (after a long listening session or just not physically fit, maybe having a cold? I don't know...
Another thing I find hard to believe are the big differences heard when comparing DACs, but well ok, probably his ears are more cultivated than mine so I will leave that aside. Still I cannot come in terms with the 'unrefined grain', 'overall rough unrefined signature' and 'On the analytical side with on the moderately high scale in false detail.' I know very well what grain is, and apart from my Audio Technica A900Xs, I haven't encounterd any grain yet with my other headphones paired with the cheaper (baby UD501), the UD-301.
Oh well, maybe I am just a lucky guy, always finding audio bliss for budget prices!

Aug 25, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #463 of 550
It is clearly apparent after modifying the stock 501 that the capacitors on the voltage regs and audio out, and op amps significantly affect the sound. Using film caps on the regs brings much more detail and clarity (Dexa regs make it possible). Using discrete op amps also takes this to a further level.

It's a great stock unit but even more so modded.

Sep 5, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #464 of 550
After consideration, I managed to obtain the necessary parts to upgrade.
I switched capacitors in a voltage with Nichicon 6800mf 35V and Nipon 2200mf 16V .. in all places is embedded block capacitor. They were put Nipon 100mF 25V and below are soldered WIMA 3.3 mf 63V.
On the way signals are placed arcotronic capacitor 3.3 uf 400v, very good condenser. 
In the first test they were just a couple of Burson V5 in the exit. Sound was quite aggressive, had a detail, a big improvement over the factory capacitors. After 20 hours of listening, I installed Burson V5 instead Muses 8920 .. This was the best solution, sound is brought, there is more space, bass drum was given even greater firmness and definition. I am very pleased with the sound and upgrading. I hope that my brief exposure, to some help.

Sep 20, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #465 of 550
I would like to add, that I arcatronic capacitors  of 3,3uf, instead replaced, with Auricap 10uf 200v. In most cases was how much money, so many music. Auricap was up to the task, I liken it to any capacitor, is not in the price range, or Auricap justifies its price. Fantastic control tones, very balance sound, without aggressiveness, a lot of space, DAC has got another dimension. My recommendation to all assay Auriocap in the exit, if he is able. The quality justifies the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back