Teac Reference Line UD-501 USB DAC "DSD"
Jun 5, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #512 of 550
Hello everyone, considering the UD-501 vs the Audeze Deckard (both are selling at about the same price on the used market).

Keeping in mind that I don't listen to any DSD and do not plan to use the balanced features of the UD-501, which one would you recommend from a sound quality and build quality point of view? I will be buying from the used market, so it will not be covered by a warranty. Thanks everyone :)

edit: Also the UD-503 is an extra $100-$150, would you guys recommend the UD-503 > Audeze Deckard?

Oct 18, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #513 of 550
Hello UD-501 owners.. a question about this DAC..

According to the manual, the line out will not work for both XLR and RCA simultaneously. Is that correct?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #514 of 550
The options are for either RCA, XLR2, or XLR3, so no way of driving both RCA and XLR2 (or XLR3) simultaneously.

Has anyone gotten the UD-501 to work with Linux (I'm running Mint 17) at any sample rate other than 44.1kHz? Does it require changing settings in the OS?

Feb 24, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #515 of 550
Hi, question for those who are working on the UD-501..

I purchased one in pretty good shape, except that some of a LCD pixels are weak and I'd like to replace the display.

I don't have the service manual. Does anyone happen to know whether the LCD power is 5.0V or 3.3V?

I've attached a pic of the LDC from inside the unit, if that helps at all.

Thank You

Also, I'm looking here as a source for replacement displays..

https://www.buydisplay.com/default/character-display/16x2-character?appearance=212&limit=48

.. Can anyone recommend any other source?

P1030083.JPG

Mar 16, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #519 of 550
Hoping to get an answer--I have the Teac HA-501 and am looking to upgrade. Does anyone know if the Schiit Mjolinr2 would be an upgrade or just similar in quality. Really love the Teac---but am ready to move up----want to make sure I make a smart choice and a clear upgrade. Any input appreciated--thanks!

Apr 28, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #520 of 550
Hoping to get an answer--I have the Teac HA-501 and am looking to upgrade. Does anyone know if the Schiit Mjolinr2 would be an upgrade or just similar in quality. Really love the Teac---but am ready to move up----want to make sure I make a smart choice and a clear upgrade. Any input appreciated--thanks!

Tough choice. I also have the HA-501. I know Schiit gear is very popular, plus it's US-made, which is great. But there is just something a little "unfinished" about it.. hard to put my finger on it. I'm sure the Schiit amp sounds fantastic, but between the two I'd be one to stick with TEAC. I think the Japanese know how to design what may be the world's best audio gear. "If I were a rich man.." I'd have some new Accuphase gear on the shelf.

Aug 29, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #521 of 550
hi guys

found a great deal on a brand new UD-501 and bought it, but I'm having issues with both Roon and Audirvana+ on macOS (dedicated Mac mini): DAC won't lock to USB signal and playback never starts :frowning2:

anyone had the same issue and found a solution, please?

Dec 17, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #522 of 550
Using the balanced XLR outputs on this DAC is causing a problem (OK, a third world problem). The gain is so high on the XLR circuit it's difficult to use it together with powered monitors (Yamaha HS-8). As far as I know, there is no internal gain adjustment built into the unit. I could switch over to using RCA but I already have all the balanced cabling made up and I'd like to use it. I have a "cheap" volume attenuator in use (Emotive Control Freak) and it works, but only within its first 10% of range before things get too loud. Also, it adds some unwanted noise to the sound. I'd like to add a simple attenuation pad (type "U") inside the box. It's just 3 resistors and I can solder these directly onto the back of the XLR out jacks. It's a bit of a hack, but technically should work fine. Anyone else try something like this, or have any other suggestions? - Thanks

upload_2018-12-17_9-29-21.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back