Tea Gadgets?
Jun 28, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #31 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by flightless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...True. I wonder what a $6000 tea maker would look like *heheh*

that will be a hand made purple clay set, i got a set that i still did not use yet. too expensive with a toddler running around to use.

Jun 30, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #33 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by nolocus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know of any high-end tea infusers/balls? I don't trust my cheap made in china looking one...

What exactly do you not trust it to do?

Jun 30, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #34 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftyGorilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What exactly do you not trust it to do?

It's already starting to corrode after less than a week. After checking out a few tea shops, they seem to all order from the same manufacturer but just plop out different names and prices for these tea balls.

Right now I'm considering these swiss gold infusers. Not a big fan of plastic but they seem well made.

41VTeuYj9AL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Amazon.com: swissgold® TF 500 Tea Filter, Black: Kitchen & Dining

Jun 30, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #35 of 95
get yourself a gaiwan, plenty of room for the leaves to expand and no metal/plastic filters involved.

Gongfu-cha-with-gaiwan.jpg

Jun 30, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #38 of 95
Quote:

Right now I'm considering these swiss gold infusers. Not a big fan of plastic but they seem well made.

41VTeuYj9AL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I have an earlier Swiss Gold filter and it works well.

I do like Zodduska's recommendation to buy a gaiwan - I'll try one myself.
beerchug.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #39 of 95
I use a gold filter like that for cold-brewed coffee. They're great for whatever you use them for, but yeah, get away from tea balls as fast as you can. For me they are a last resort.

I use instead some hemp draw-string bags that work well for herbals.

images

Jun 30, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #41 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftyGorilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a gold filter like that for cold-brewed coffee. They're great for whatever you use them for, but yeah, get away from tea balls as fast as you can. For me they are a last resort.

I use instead some hemp draw-string bags that work well for herbals.

images

Good point, any tea that has lots of tiny bits might not work so well in a gaiwan as you will end up with some in your cup. They work best with whole leaf tea.

An actual tea gadget that a lot of people like is the ingenuiTEA, these work great and are easy to use with any kind of tea but I prefer more traditional methods, then again I also don't drink herbals so it's not a problem.
beerchug.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #42 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good point, any tea that has lots of tiny bits might not work so well in a gaiwan as you will end up with some in your cup. They work best with whole leaf tea.

An actual tea gadget that a lot of people like is the ingenuiTEA, these work great and are easy to use with any kind of tea but I prefer more traditional methods, then again I also don't drink herbals so it's not a problem.
beerchug.gif

The IngenuiTEA infuser is all plastic, with steel screen?

Jul 1, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #44 of 95
Quote:

The IngenuiTEA infuser is all plastic, with steel screen?

the screen is plastic too

Jul 1, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #45 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get yourself a gaiwan, plenty of room for the leaves to expand and no metal/plastic filters involved.

Gongfu-cha-with-gaiwan.jpg

I'll second the gaiwan recommendation also if you want great tea stay away from Teavana. They sell ok accessories but the tea leaves a bit to be desired.

Try to find a local tea shop that can source low quantity/high grade teas. In NYC Porto Coffee has a decent selection. Out here in San Francisco, red blossom tea has the absolute best teas I have ever had, they blow away the other local tea shops and that is no easy feat. There early harvest dragonwells are to die for but $$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back