Tea-Fi?
Nov 25, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #136 of 750
I don't know much about this subject, though I have to say if tea ceased to exist I might also pop out of existence right there and then. It's the elixir of life!

(Runs off to read the whole thread)

Nov 25, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #138 of 750
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's that? Do you have a link?
icon10.gif

melon tea 1
Melon tea 2
Melon tea 3
melon tea 4

Nov 25, 2006 at 1:28 PM Post #139 of 750
Quote:

Originally Posted by chef8489 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
melon tea 1
Melon tea 2
Melon tea 3
melon tea 4

Oh! I think I've had it before in dim sum (yum cha) restaurants! Why is it called Pai Mu Tan? That doesn't even make sense in Chinese pinyin! I think Bai Mu Dan (白牡丹) is the right pinyin in Mandarin. Anyway, I can't remember what it tasted like, but I don't remember it tasting odd at all.

When I go yum cha (饮茶, basically means having dim sum during lunch time), I usually get Tie Guan Yin (Iron Buddha/Goddess of Mercy), Pu-er (once again I have no idea why people spell Pu er with an 'h' after 'er') or Long Jing (Dragonwell).

There's also a type of very frequently consumed and highly popular tea called sao mei in Cantonese, but I can't remember how to write it in Chinese
redface.gif
and neither can I find it on the internet!
blink.gif

Nov 25, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #140 of 750
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really like the Japanese Green teas... the ones with the toasted Rice in it. Very different flavor.

Yes - it is indeed interesting; I had it in Japan back in July. I want to find this in NYC. Here's one linkk I found.

Quote:

There's also a type of very frequently consumed and highly popular tea called sao mei in Cantonese, but I can't remember how to write it in Chinese
redface.gif
blink.gif

You should come over to Washington DC! There are many great Dim Sum places
biggrin.gif
You are right the only reference was here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by discord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any brewer recommendations?

I like the infusers; I used to use a ball, but these seem easier for me with my loose tea.
allteas_1924_5164847

Nov 25, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #141 of 750
Quote:

Oh! I think I've had it before in dim sum (yum cha) restaurants! Why is it called Pai Mu Tan? That doesn't even make sense in Chinese pinyin! I think Bai Mu Dan (白牡丹) is the right pinyin in Mandarin. Anyway, I can't remember what it tasted like, but I don't remember it tasting odd at all.

When I go yum cha (饮茶, basically means having dim sum during lunch time), I usually get Tie Guan Yin (Iron Buddha/Goddess of Mercy), Pu-er (once again I have no idea why people spell Pu er with an 'h' after 'er') or Long Jing (Dragonwell).

redface.gif
blink.gif

Yes it is Pai Mu Tan but with a melon flavor added. Maybe I just need to order some and give it a try. Well my order from upton tea arived today but i have yet to open it.

Nov 26, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #142 of 750
I've been an almost constant tea drinker for about 8 years now, starting with both chinese and japanese green teas, and branching out from there. Currently my preference is white tea, namely Organic White Peony, but I do keep a small amount of Silver Needle on hand for especially introspective days. I also really enjoy throwing some Assam into the mix, for a fuller slightly bitter change, and because it takes me a long time to get to drinking point with White teas (I won't drink untill at least a half hour to a full hour after the water hits the tea ball). I don't know about other people, but when I brew the white tea I leave the tea ball in the pot until it's gone (sometimes a day or longer) and the brew becomes incredibly intense, but still retaining its delicate floral and nutty flavours.

Nov 27, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #143 of 750
All my teas have arrived! Yipee!

I managed to cook my first batch of Dragon Pheonix Pearls though
mad.gif
... What a waste
redface.gif
The tea was pretty tasteless and didn't have much aroma to it. I was probably a bit too anxious to start drinking and didn't wait for the water to cool down enough.

Because of that, I've just ordered a tea thermometer, a tea strainer and a tea spoon/scoop from Upton Tea
icon10.gif

I'm making myself another batch as I type
tongue.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #144 of 750
I have tried a few from my sampler pack i ordered.

Special Arya Estate White Pearl
was quite subtle and nutty. Kinda reminded me of grits. Was verry pleasant.Will defently order again.

China Green Rose Congou
has a verry nice rose taste to it. Subtle green tea with a nice aroma and taste of rose. Not bad but not one of my favorites.

China Oolong Lotus Tea
Was a nice oolong with lotus taste. I had never had lotus tea before and was quite pleased. I feel Jasmine that i have tried in the past was over powering but the Lotus was just right.

I will give other impressions when I try the other samples.

Nov 28, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #145 of 750
Thanks for the impressions Chef.

I've been busy with my Dragon Phoenix Pearls and I've finally made it properly! The secret is really not to use boiling water and to listen to your Stax while drinking the tea
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #146 of 750
Whoo!! I finally had some good bubble tea today!
600smile.gif

It was iced thai tea served with condensed milk over...bubbles (or bobas? boba?). It was pretty damn good, and now I just realize that Tealuxe in Boston makes nasty bubble tea (there is just something unpleasant about the flavor of their bubbles...otherwise a pretty big Tealuxe fan for a quick tea fix on the go).

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #148 of 750
During the wintertime, I usually enjoy Dragon Well green tea from China. It's a great "pick me up" in the morning.
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way, I have a real authentic Shtamp-brand samovar from Russia, which still does work and I used it last winter, using dried pine cones as fuel (and using old newspapers to ignite the pine cones; there's an old Russian joke saying that copies of Pravda was perfect to use as tinder to ignite the pine cones.
wink.gif
).

Mar 9, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #149 of 750
BUMP

I would like some recommendations on some rooibos tea if anyone knows anything about it.

Also if anyone is thinking of buying from adagio teas (adagio.com), I can give out free $5 gift certificates for new members. PM me with your email if youre interested. They have a great starter kit (teapot + 5 sample tea tins) for $20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back