Tea-Fi?
Feb 17, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #317 of 750
Have a chinese supermarket about 10 minutes away from me so I can buy so much chinese tea. 

Had a fun incident with it when I started Uni. We had a surprise inspection after my neighbour was found dealing drugs. Took quite a while to convince them my shelf full of dried leaves was in fact tea and not drugs. 

Feb 17, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #318 of 750
how does it work?  from the picture, it looks like you simply put pure roobios into the portafilter?  or do you mix it with coffee?  looks like something i'd want to try out on my machine! 

Quote:
Have you tried rooibos espresso? When I lived in Windhoek it was all the rage in the coffee houses.

Feb 17, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #319 of 750
Quote:
how does it work?  from the picture, it looks like you simply put pure roobios into the portafilter?  or do you mix it with coffee?  looks like something i'd want to try out on my machine! 

Quote:
Have you tried rooibos espresso? When I lived in Windhoek it was all the rage in the coffee houses.

What machine? And I'm guessing its like any ordaniry tea.

Feb 17, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #320 of 750
Rooibos espresso is made by putting rooibos into a pressurized "espresso" portafilter. If you use a traditional espresso portafilter the rooibos won't make enough resistance to the water to work properly and it will underextract.

also I think if rooibos counts as tea then coffee is tea too xD

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #322 of 750
Quote:
Rooibos espresso is made by putting rooibos into a pressurized "espresso" portafilter. If you use a traditional espresso portafilter the rooibos won't make enough resistance to the water to work properly and it will underextract.

also I think if rooibos counts as tea then coffee is tea too xD

Actually, rooibos ("red bush") is not tea, in nickname only. Does not originate from the tea plant, but rather a shrub like bush in South Africa from the legume family.

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #324 of 750
Yes. My aim was at the general readership...thanks for the platform.
normal_smile .gif
 Maybe I should enhance my signature to read: "Waiting in the dark...for tea."

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #329 of 750
Quote:
Usually ceramic is fired clay.

Clay is also porous so it picks up and keeps a flavor patina of the tea you brew.  With something like a yixing clay tea pot, you pretty much want to only brew one type of tea in it, and let it develop that residual tea flavor after many uses.  They are definitely fragile though.

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #330 of 750
Quote:
blink.gif
what she said?  ehmm... bless you Nikki :D lol

lol baby :D

About clay vs ceramic...clay is really a kind of ceramic but usually when pots are described as ceramic they have a glassy glaze over the clay and when pots are described as clay they are just the clay with no glassy glaze over the top. When the inside of teapots are not glazed then that means, like daigo said, that there is a porous surface for the tea to interact with which leads to the development of a patina that can positively affect future brews :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back