Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto in D: Recommend a recording
Feb 21, 2006 at 6:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

GIGANTOID

100+ Head-Fier
The first recording I ever heard was during the movie about the Mercury astronauts, "The Right Stuff" needless to say it left an impression.

right-stuff-DVDcover.jpg

Then I found a cassette that my father had, an Angel recordings (ca. 1980) version with Itzhak Perlman conducted by Eugene Ormandy and that version has haunted my memory ever since. Perlmans bow literally sings.

I've never found another like it and have tried to find that copy with no such luck.

So, do you have any recommendations for other recordings of this piece or heaven forbid know where I can track a copy down. i still have the image of the casette cover burned in my memory and the Angel Recordings site is slim with info.

Feb 21, 2006 at 6:26 AM Post #2 of 20
The Tchaik is masterpiece, I love it.

Leonid Kogan did a fantastic interpretation of the Tchaikovsky VC, but that particular recording may be very hard to find. It is in mono.

Some say Heifetz does the definitive interpretation, but I think he plays too fast. The music doesn't "flow" well at parts. I will not, however, he plays amazingly lyrical at times.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=glance&n=5174

Heres a GREAT performance by Oistrahk and Ormandy.
Also comes with the beautiful Tchaik piano concerto.

Feb 21, 2006 at 7:07 AM Post #3 of 20
I strongly suggest Heifetz - Reiner/Chicago Symphony Orchestra for this work. However, Elman's recordings of the Tchaikovsky Concerto for Violin with Boult/London Symphony Orchestra or Ormandy/Hollywood Bowl Symphony are very important

Best,
iDesign

Feb 21, 2006 at 12:30 PM Post #4 of 20
EMI/Angel has reissued some of Perlman's work in a remastered series. There is a recording of the Tchaikovsky violin concerto. Might be the one you mentioned.

B0000AF1KT.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Amazon has it.

BW

Feb 21, 2006 at 2:19 PM Post #5 of 20
The Heifetz recording is considered the benchmark. It's available in SACD/hybrid as part of the RCA Living Stereo series coupled with the Brahms Violin Concerto which is an excellent combination. The concerto is also given an amazingly detailed performance with great elegance by Vadim Repin in 2 different recordings. The performance with Valery Gergiev conducting the Kirov Orchestra is coupled with the Myaskovsky Violin Concerto which is a great concerto if less often performed. His performance of the concerto with Emmanuel Krivine and the London Symphony Orchestra is coupled with an amazingly fine performance of the Sibelius Violin Concerto in D minor, Op. 47. Finally, Joshua Bell has a performance available at yourmusic. His recording is coupled with 2 selections, Meditation for Piano in D, op. 72 transcribed for violin and the Danse Russe from Swan Lake. The Bell is also available in SACD/hybrid but not at yourmusic which only has the stereo release.

Edit: The music for The Right Stuff was by the London Symphony Orchestra, so the Repin may very well be the concerto recording in the movie. IMDB did not list the concerto as part of the soundtrack.

Personally I would go for the Repin Tchaikovsky/Sibelius or the Heifetz Tchaikovsky/Brahms. Those are the 2 most popular violin concertos and they are terrific recordings of both.

B000003FEA.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
B000005EEJ.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
B00006L77E.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
B000AY9OHQ.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Oct 20, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward
EMI/Angel has reissued some of Perlman's work in a remastered series. There is a recording of the Tchaikovsky violin concerto. Might be the one you mentioned.

B0000AF1KT.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Amazon has it.

BW

I recommend this recording

Oct 20, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #8 of 20
Oistrakh rules in the Tchaikovsky, no one plays with as much emotion and heart. And his Brahms ain't bad either
wink.gif

B000B0WODK.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1125597655_.jpg

Oct 20, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
Oistrakh rules in the Tchaikovsky, no one plays with as much emotion and heart. And his Brahms ain't bad either
wink.gif

B000B0WODK.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1125597655_.jpg

so this recording of the brahms is better than his recording with szell?

Oct 20, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #10 of 20
No, actually with Szell is much better. I love Oistrakh, I have a ton of his recordings, and the Szell Brahms is right at the top among the very best. The Konwitsky is a convenient way to get both the Brahms and Tchaikovsky together, but Oistrakh did better in order recordings separately. With the Tchaikovsky, the Ormandy recording is the better sounding, and you can really hear him pour his heart into it, and the sound quality is vastly superior:

B00000276V.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1115804899_.jpg

Oct 20, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #11 of 20
I first learned this piece with the Kogan so I still have a soft spot for it. But really, this piece has gotten a large number of fine readings. I like the Kyung-Wha Chung in addition to a lot of the stuff already mentioned.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HD-5000
The Tchaik is masterpiece, I love it.

Leonid Kogan did a fantastic interpretation of the Tchaikovsky VC, but that particular recording may be very hard to find. It is in mono.

Oct 20, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
No, actually with Szell is much better. I love Oistrakh, I have a ton of his recordings, and the Szell Brahms is right at the top among the very best. The Konwitsky is a convenient way to get both the Brahms and Tchaikovsky together, but Oistrakh did better in order recordings separately. With the Tchaikovsky, the Ormandy recording is the better sounding, and you can really hear him pour his heart into it, and the sound quality is vastly superior:

B00000276V.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1115804899_.jpg

Tyson, the album you have pictured is with Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra. Is that the album you are referring to or is there another with Szell and the CO that is just not pictured?

Actually neither concerto is with Szell. The Piano concerto is conducted by Zubin Mehta with the NYPO!

Oct 20, 2006 at 3:13 PM Post #13 of 20
I own the repin recording, and can vouch for the high standard of recording and interpretation.

Oct 20, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
so this recording of the brahms is better than his recording with szell?

Bunny,
This is the Brahms recording with Szell. Outstandingly good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back