TB Montego, M-Audio 5.1, or E-MU?
Feb 27, 2006 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Gelt

New Head-Fier
I need some advice on what I should do here. I currently have a set of Klipsh ProMedia 4.1 speakers that were connected to a Hercules Game Theater XP sound card. That card died on me a few weeks back and I've been suffering with the onboard AC97 sound of my motherboard ever since. As luck would have it, the built-in audio is starting to go and I'm losing sound in the front speaker port.

So, here are my questions:

Should I just buy something like a Turtle Beach Montego or M-Audio Revolution 5.1 and keep my Klipsh 4.1s? Or, should I buy an E-MU 1212 and a set of high-quality speakers? If the later, what kind of speakers would you recommend?

My budget on this is no more than $500. I don't play games at all and whatever setup I choose will be used strictly for music. I'm no audiophile, but everything played is in 256Kbps MP3 format. I don't know if that helps or not, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway. Also, In a few months I'll be moving everything to a room where I'll have two desks and I won't be able to use the rear two speakers from my ProMedia 4.1s. The wife has a set of ProMedia 2.0s and I doubt that she'll take kindly to another two speakers on her desk. That was the main reason I even considered replacing my 4.1s with a nice set of monitor-like speakers.

Any suggestions?

Feb 27, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 5
TB Montego for digital out surround, Revo 5.1 for analog with headphones, speakers, and/or surround, E-MU for best 2 channel sound quality

personally, i'd keep the klipsch and get the revolution 5.1

Feb 27, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #3 of 5
I'd go for the E-MU / Bookshelf setup.

There are lots of budget speakers out there, anything will beat the klipsch promedias, you may loss a bit of bass response, but overall SQ will be much better, and you can also add a sub later.

Feb 28, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmo
I'd go for the E-MU / Bookshelf setup.

I'm leaning toward doing that, but I'm not sure what speakers to get. Any suggestions?

Feb 28, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gelt
I'm leaning toward doing that, but I'm not sure what speakers to get. Any suggestions?

You're likely to find far more expert opinions on this in other forums dedicated to hi-fi speakers. The translation sometimes carries over, but not always.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back