TB HPA2 PC Headset
Oct 22, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #16 of 21
Do you think the SS mixer amplifies the chat volume or just mix it?  On either scheme it might end up being the same if the chat volume isn't amplified.  I don't think there is a plug on the right from the pictures, just two on the bottom.  Would need an extension for the pink too?  Wouldn't the splitter idea work better?

Oct 22, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #17 of 21
Actually I like that idea to split the center channel as well, get a passive or powered signal splitter and connect both outputs to it, then just turn off game sounds completely so you only have volume control for the voice chat from the steelseries device.

Its simple, cheap, and doesn't sacrifice anything.

Oct 22, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #18 of 21
I might be confused, but referring to mcnoiserdc's picture:
Utilizing the 5.1 channel splitter cable,
1. a longer cable  for the the center channel and connecting to mixer
2. I have a longer cable that connects to mic, connect to mic cord to mixer
3. turning off games sounds on mixer and only leaving voice chat volume on

Am I visualizing this correctly?  If the voice chat isn't loud enough, does an avenue exist to amplify the center channel's signal? Maybe like an inline amplifier between center channel and mixer?

Oct 22, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #19 of 21
check this out
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021802&p_id=669&seq=1&format=2

You should be able to connect the center connection to the female end, and the two males between your 5.1 decoder and the steelseries thing.  That way you can control volume directly from the inline amp on the headphones, as well as mess with voice output volume?

Just a thought, not sure if it would work as it does in my head.

Oct 22, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #20 of 21
Hey the spectrum has the ability to let you balance the audio between game audio and chat audio. so the game audio would be your center channel.  Then you can balance it between game audio and chat audio. That would be the first step.
When you have the compromise between chat and game center channel audio set, you can then in the volume controller of your headset adjust the volume of the other channels to match your center channel.

The spectrum mixer has two sockets, one for microphone and the other for stereo audio. It has a normal 3.5 cord that you plug in your tv or whatever.
What you will do is connect this cord to your center channel of the decoder. Then you connect the center channel from the headset to the spectrum mixer and the microphone also.

After that you just need to play with the volumes on the spectrum mixer and your headset.

That is all. There is an issue, as the cord from your headset cable split is small, you may need an extension cord for a more comfortable setup.

If you guys send me the audio mixer, I would do a video and post on youtube, but I don't have it. I just know how it works because I had it designed in my mind long before it was made.

Actually what I did before I had the mixamp, which I use to do this when I use real 5.1, was to buy a cable that would separate left and right channel. This cable I would plug in my controller  and with the two sockets it would have, one for right one for left, in my case it would be one for microphone and one for chat sound. The chat sound I'd plug in the line in of my decoder.Yes my decoder being the Creative Extigy has a line in. So then I'd be able to balance the chat audio too.
Quote:
I might be confused, but referring to mcnoiserdc's picture:
Utilizing the 5.1 channel splitter cable,
1. a longer cable  for the the center channel and connecting to mixer
2. I have a longer cable that connects to mic, connect to mic cord to mixer
3. turning off games sounds on mixer and only leaving voice chat volume on

Am I visualizing this correctly?  If the voice chat isn't loud enough, does an avenue exist to amplify the center channel's signal? Maybe like an inline amplifier between center channel and mixer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back