TB HPA2 PC Headset
Oct 20, 2010 at 11:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Tigrstylz

New Head-Fier
I know it's a console question but everyone's knowledge of how these things work might help me. Thanks in advance.

Bought a 5.1 decoder and the Turtle Beach hpa2 headset, the chat volume is just barely audible. Xbox is connected by TOSLINK straight from xbox, volume on xbox is set on 10. The out of the chat wire from the headphones goes to the controller.  Is there a way to amplify or control the chat volume?  Would a headphone amplifier work?  Tried the gaming forums and nobody has a fix.

Oct 20, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 21
I would assume that 10 volume is for the headset output in your Xbox Settings.

Anyway moving on, sell that 5.1 decoder and look up the Astro Mixamp which is a 5.1 decoder that lets you actively control the balance between Mic and Audio outputs.  I know the Turtle Beach HPA doesn't have a decoder of its own~  I am not sure if it even has a single headset input have not researched the device.  It probably would be possible to add a pre-amp between the 360 controller and your headset just for your mic but it would probably be a complete waste of money as well.

You'll need the Y adapter on the mixamp.  And possible one of these http://www.turtlebeach.com/support/index.php?View=entry&EntryID=830517087 (HPX-1 cable adapter)

http://www.astrogaming.com/products/detail/69/MixAmp/

With the mixamp you can even ditch those 5.1 headphones and get decent stereo headphones affixing a mic to them.  Would probably sound better to~

Oct 21, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #4 of 21
It is an audio rush decoder. The volume on the xbox is the "chat volume" and is a generic output.  The wire that is connected to the controller is the microphone on the headset.  The Astro mixamp is simulated surround sound.  The weakness is in the inability to accurately convey positionally like a true 5.1 decoder and headset.  The HPA 2 does have an amplifier that has independent volumes for the front/surround/center/sub as seen here: http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/pc-gaming-headsets/ear-force-hpa2.aspx.  They were designed for pc gaming and I'm guessing that pc gamers have control of the chat volume via the software/computer?  The other "true" surround sound headsets that are designed for console gaming are not quite up to par with the HPA2.  If I don't find a workaround I'll will go the astro mixamp route, due to multiplayer/team play hinging on the ability to communicate.

I appreciate your help.

Oct 21, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #5 of 21
hi!

If you like the way hpa2 delivers sound. keep it. The soundstage is much bigger, positional cues for me are far better and you can hear enemies coming from farther position which gives you more time to react.
There are two solutions.
1- Go to the game volume and lower it until you can hear chat properly (how I have it set now, I have the same setup as you)
2- Buy the spectrum mixer from steelseries . IT will be out soon in US if it is not out yet. You'll be able to adjust chat and still have your multiple drivers headset.

Quote:
It is an audio rush decoder. The volume on the xbox is the "chat volume" and is a generic output.  The wire that is connected to the controller is the microphone on the headset.  The Astro mixamp is simulated surround sound.  The weakness is in the inability to accurately convey positionally like a true 5.1 decoder and headset.  The HPA 2 does have an amplifier that has independent volumes for the front/surround/center/sub as seen here: http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/pc-gaming-headsets/ear-force-hpa2.aspx.  They were designed for pc gaming and I'm guessing that pc gamers have control of the chat volume via the software/computer?  The other "true" surround sound headsets that are designed for console gaming are not quite up to par with the HPA2.  If I don't find a workaround I'll will go the astro mixamp route, due to multiplayer/team play hinging on the ability to communicate.

I appreciate your help.

Oct 21, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #6 of 21

Looking at that device it doesn't seem like theres any room for 5.1, I see that you connect the headset and the mic to it, which means the headset is not getting the proper optical input
Quote:
hi!

If you like the way hpa2 delivers sound. keep it. The soundstage is much bigger, positional cues for me are far better and you can hear enemies coming from farther position which gives you more time to react.
There are two solutions.
1- Go to the game volume and lower it until you can hear chat properly (how I have it set now, I have the same setup as you)
2- Buy the spectrum mixer from steelseries . IT will be out soon in US if it is not out yet. You'll be able to adjust chat and still have your multiple drivers headset.

Oct 21, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 21
It is not so trivial like that.
With that you can plug the mic on it, but the output for center for instance from the decoder you connect to it, and then plug the center for headphones on it.

Quote:
Looking at that device it doesn't seem like theres any room for 5.1, I see that you connect the headset and the mic to it, which means the headset is not getting the proper optical input

Oct 21, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #8 of 21
Then how is he going to get his 5.1 while still being able to control the mic volume.  You tell me~  That device doesn't decode at all... so even if it does get your ingame audio through the 360 its going to be stereo audio.

Now lets assume he has a 5.1 decoder and connects only the center channel to this.  Then he effectively looses his center channel... while at the same time its not going to mix the volume of the other channels.

I would honestly wait till they release a manual.
Quote:
It is not so trivial like that.
With that you can plug the mic on it, but the output for center for instance from the decoder you connect to it, and then plug the center for headphones on it.

Oct 21, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #9 of 21
hahahaha, lol!

Well if he connects the center channel to this he won't lose it, as he can get a good compromise between chat and game audio, then as the hpa2 has separate channel volumes on it, he can adjust the volume in the other channels to have balanced audio. simple!
Quote:
Then how is he going to get his 5.1 while still being able to control the mic volume.  You tell me~  That device doesn't decode at all... so even if it does get your ingame audio through the 360 its going to be stereo audio.

Now lets assume he has a 5.1 decoder and connects only the center channel to this.  Then he effectively looses his center channel... while at the same time its not going to mix the volume of the other channels.

I would honestly wait till they release a manual.

Oct 21, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #10 of 21
  I was hoping the spectrum mixer would work, but unfortunately it only works for stereo headphones.  If you look at the plugs on the spectrum mixer, it would not work.  The audio rush decoder is from China and I'm guessing they skirt around the Dolby licensing that jacks the price up?  Anyway, the TOSLINK is inputted from the xbox and split into three connections that plug into the the decoder.  It is so faint on Medal of Honor 2010/BC2 that I would have to volume all the way down.  The setup is intended to provide true 5.1 and the decoder, It's stated that it:
1.Transfer the DTS/AC-3 digital signal data into 5.1 sound track output.
    2.Transfer the stereo(R/L) audio signal data into 5.1 sound track out put.
    3.Two SPDIF input, one coaxial input, one sterero input,Perfect solution for your HDTV player, xbox 360 , ps3, ps2, dm500s,dm800HD etc.
    4.One button to switch mode, simple to operate.
    5.Auto detect AC3、DTS、PCM digital audio signal, decode format:Dolby Digital EX、DTS-ES、Dolby Pro Logic II、DTS、AC3

So I'm a little confused with the center channel part, what would that connect to?

Oct 21, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #11 of 21

Quote:
  I was hoping the spectrum mixer would work, but unfortunately it only works for stereo headphones.  If you look at the plugs on the spectrum mixer, it would not work.  The audio rush decoder is from China and I'm guessing they skirt around the Dolby licensing that jacks the price up?  Anyway, the TOSLINK is inputted from the xbox and split into three connections that plug into the the decoder.  It is so faint on Medal of Honor 2010/BC2 that I would have to volume all the way down.  The setup is intended to provide true 5.1 and the decoder, It's stated that it:
1.Transfer the DTS/AC-3 digital signal data into 5.1 sound track output.
    2.Transfer the stereo(R/L) audio signal data into 5.1 sound track out put.
    3.Two SPDIF input, one coaxial input, one sterero input,Perfect solution for your HDTV player, xbox 360 , ps3, ps2, dm500s,dm800HD etc.
    4.One button to switch mode, simple to operate.
    5.Auto detect AC3、DTS、PCM digital audio signal, decode format:Dolby Digital EX、DTS-ES、Dolby Pro Logic II、DTS、AC3

So I'm a little confused with the center channel part, what would that connect to?

Basically the HPA-2 by default connection is made to connect to a PC sound card.  PC sound cards have seperate surround sound channel inputs for each speaker as it can act as a decoder for 5.1 audio.

The 5.1 Decoder that this guy has with his HPA2 I assume is similar like an external sound card almost.  Where you connect each input separately, that way the 5.1 decoder knows where to pipe audio to the right driver inside the headphone.  So it would go 360 Toslink---->5.1 Decoder ----> separate driver output.

The idea presented by him is to connect all of them, but the center channel input to connect to the device on your 360 controller.  Which would mean youde be getting a stereo input outputting in mono through the headphones center channel.  Not only would sound quality be different it would kind of negate the purpose of surround sound headphones as the spatial presentation would be completely distorted.

My suggestion is one that works and is suggested by turtle beach, but I don't know how it would effect the presentation since it is mixed Dolby Headphone.  Rather than am ore standard sending separate streams to different speakers.

Oct 22, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #12 of 21
I'll have to attempt the center channel experiment.  The astro mixer idea does "work" but is not true 5.1 and the difference is heard.  The reason why TB has suggested the Astro mixamp is due to the pro gaming circuit providing the astro mixer. (due to Astro Gaming sponsorship)  They don't want to preclude their equipment from being used by pro gamers.  It would be great if somebody had a simple battery/ac powered small amp that could separate and amplify the incoming chat volume.  I don't understand exactly why the volume is not amplified by the amp on the HPA's.  Is it not amplified and spread throughout and then run out of power? (Hence the faint volume)

Oct 22, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #13 of 21
hey, the steelseries thing works as it mixes a stereo audio sound with the chat channel. so when you mix your center channel with your chat nothing is distorted you just add your chat audio to the audio of center channel. I said center instead of right and left channel as it would mix the chat with more information from left and right, whilst the center channel doesn't get so much info as the left and right

Quote:
I'll have to attempt the center channel experiment.  The astro mixer idea does "work" but is not true 5.1 and the difference is heard.  The reason why TB has suggested the Astro mixamp is due to the pro gaming circuit providing the astro mixer. (due to Astro Gaming sponsorship)  They don't want to preclude their equipment from being used by pro gamers.  It would be great if somebody had a simple battery/ac powered small amp that could separate and amplify the incoming chat volume.  I don't understand exactly why the volume is not amplified by the amp on the HPA's.  Is it not amplified and spread throughout and then run out of power? (Hence the faint volume)

Oct 22, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #14 of 21
I think the spectrum mixer may work.  The splitter that is included with the HPA2 may be the key.  Using the splitter, using extensions for the the green (l/r out) and the pink(mic) and then plugging into the spectrum mixer. The connections to the Audio rush will remain connected.  In theory preserving true 5.1 and allowing the mixer to work it's magic.  Unfortunately still theory due to mixer not being sold in the US yet.  What do you all think?

Oct 22, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #15 of 21
here is a scheme. I design it with the front right and left as it is easier to do it that way, bu you can change the L/R for the center/sub

Users who are viewing this thread

Back