Taste of the Senn sound
Jan 26, 2010 at 10:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

RamJaxed

Head-Fier
My current headphone's are Grado SR80i's which I really like with rock/indie music. I've been looking at getting a new pair of cans specifically for Ambient/down tempo electronica and was thinking of the senn hd600's

The only senn's I might be able to get access to besides the PX 100's which I own and like are a pair of HD201's.

I was wondering if the 201's will give me a feel of the sort of sound I could expect from the 600's or are these so far apart it would be a pointless exercise?

Jan 26, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by RamJaxed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering if the 201's will give me a feel of the sort of sound I could expect from the 600's or are these so far apart it would be a pointless exercise?

I was recently in the same position as you wondering about my HD497 vs HD201. As you suspect it is pretty much a waste of time. Low end is dramatically missing on the 201's for me.

Jan 26, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #5 of 13
If you want to get a taste of the HD6x0, grab one from the For Sale section. If you don't like it you can sell it for the same price, only losing out on shipping.
If you like the sound (I assume unamped), get a decent amp and you'll get more of it
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Nothing like each other - totally different.

Jan 26, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #7 of 13
I've used SR80s for about a year and currently have recently bought 4 sets of headphones to find an upgrade, including HD600s with a cardas cable, which are very deceptive.
I've heard the HD600s before and liked them so much i knew i'd get a pair at some point. To me they have a very mellow, smooth sound which works very well with classical, but they don't work as well with anything that needs the bass to kick.
I'm not sure exactly what 'Ambient/down tempo electronica' is so i'm going to assume Orbital/KLF chillout style music which i think sound good on the HD600 but don't envelope me as much as the other headphones i'm listening to, the SR80s are definately more aggressive and in my face and are a sharper sound than the HD600s, but yet not as detailed.
In summary, if i want to sit quietly a few rows back and listen to music the HD600s are a great choice for me, but if i want something to grab me by the hand and yank me onto the dance floor they are disappointing.
The deceptive part is that while i say they are disappointing, if i put on another set of heaphones straight after the HD600s (SR80s included) the headphones sound closed in and harsh and even more disappointing than the HD600s. It takes a couple of songs for my brain to adjust to the new sound signature and for the strengths to kick in.

But enough about me, why don't you feel you can use the SR80is for Ambient/down tempo electronica music? And what source will you be using, the HD600s need more power to run properly than the SR80is so if you're using an MP3 player and need a good volume they may not be the right choice anyway.
And neither the PX100s (which i also own) or the 201s(from what i remember of the ones i bought a while ago and sent back on the same day) will give you a useful indication of what the HD600s are like.

Jan 26, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #8 of 13
In your signature you say that your HD600's smell like smoke and that you have to give them away. Why don't you just get new pads?

Jan 26, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc E /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But enough about me, why don't you feel you can use the SR80is for Ambient/down tempo electronica music? And what source will you be using, the HD600s need more power to run properly than the SR80is so if you're using an MP3 player and need a good volume they may not be the right choice anyway.
And neither the PX100s (which i also own) or the 201s(from what i remember of the ones i bought a while ago and sent back on the same day) will give you a useful indication of what the HD600s are like.

It's not that the genre sounds terrible on the SR80i's I just feel everything is too close together, which for rock is fine, I like the in your face sound.

But for more mellow/chill out music I feel with benefit from a much wider sound stage and laid back sig than the grado's

I mostly listen from a laptop>Icon uDac>Grado

Jan 26, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In your signature you say that your HD600's smell like smoke and that you have to give them away. Why don't you just get new pads?

AH, thanks for the suggestion, wish i could!
The pads need replacing anyway, but i washed them and the padding under the headband so now they just smell washed, but the cable reeks and the box and casing smell too. If i can get rid of the smell from the casing i could bin the box and just sell the cable, but probably just as easy to sell it all on as a whole to a smoker.

Quote:

It's not that the genre sounds terrible on the SR80i's I just feel everything is too close together, which for rock is fine, I like the in your face sound.

But for more mellow/chill out music I feel with benefit from a much wider sound stage and laid back sig than the grado's

The HD600s are definately wider and more laid back.
I can have a listen to some ambient through both sets of headphones and do a quick comparison if you want, and if you let me know what artists you listen to i can try and source some?

Jan 26, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

I'm using a Laptop -> uDAC -> HD580 right now and will have HD600's here tomorrow. Great combo. I do not listen loud, and the uDAC has plenty fo power for my needs. Nice detail and a laid back sound.

Going strictly by my experience with the HD580's, if you are looking for a laid back tube kind of sound, the 600's should work well with your combo (same drivers as the 580's).

Jan 26, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Fabreeze is cheaper

Jan 27, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #13 of 13
i really think grados work magic for this genre, despite not listening to it frequently, maybe try a higher end grado phone such as 225I?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back