TASCAM UH-7000
Mar 4, 2016 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

coli

100+ Head-Fier
This thing got like a million features, I'm using it as a DAC right now. Relatively "cheap", especially used. Note I'm using speakers, not headphone.

Super spacious/vast sound, I can literally hear the size of the recording room with this DAC, very 3D sound. Super accurate.

I like it better than the Emotiva DC-1, XDA 2 gen 2, PS Audio Direcstream DAC. Slightly behind the Metrum Pavane (Metrum is more analog, sweet sound, TASCAM is more spacious and vast sound, I also feel it to be more accurate than the Metrum) 

Great great bang for the buck. I wish it got a NOS mode though.

Apr 15, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #2 of 37
Mine is at post office today, will pick it up!! will be interesting to hear how it provides compared to my Hegel HD25.

Apr 17, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #3 of 37
I have done some work with the Tascam UH-7000 unit today, as I plan to use it as ADC - Audio to Digital recordings for audio measurements.

I found some issues with 21khz+ noise, and I managed to reduce it.

http://heavycorner.com/tascam-uh-7000-fixing-issue-noise/

Hope you enjoy it.

Apr 18, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #4 of 37
Pretty much the only cheap (reads: not thousands of $ or more) interface that offers normal AES/EBU output (without the need for an impedance-matching or even active converter).

It even allows you to pass-through another AES/EBU device, while being able to control the volume on this digital path.

In a sense one can think that all the A/D, D/A, Mic pre, etc on this unit are bundled together and sells for a pretty big negative price, when you compare it to units that offer both of the above AES/EBU capabilities. But AFAIK none of these 'negatively priced parts' is to be underestimated easily once you've heard them.

May 2, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #7 of 37
  Nope, I'm only using it as a DAC. It's perfect.

Hi ! thank you very much indeed for the kind and helpful reply.
Could you just confirm also the high quality of the headphone out (i read something about this).
i am seriously considering the unit.
Thanks again,  gino

UPDATE

Bought one now !
After reading about some noise issues i have found a lab report showing actually this increase of noise after warm up of the unit
It seems that the cause of this noise is the swtiching power supply.

So it is just a problem of power supply.
The idea is to bypass the internal SMPS and put a DC socket on the rear to use a nice low noise power supply.
The voltage should be around 11V ... i will try to understand better.
I have seen some measurements and are really really impressive indeed.
The noise at start is very very low as the jitter.
Kind regards,  gino 

May 3, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #8 of 37
I am a headphone enthusiast, and I got high end DAC and 2 different amps for my headphones, and when I listened to the Tascam only as a DAC, I found it not accurate enough and sounded weird compared to my high end dac. But for anyone that didnt invest 5000 dollars in dac, amp and headphones, it is great sound. Its a great starting stone to be honest. and it supports ADC functionality and AES/EBU too.. which is great.

May 3, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #9 of 37
  I am a headphone enthusiast, and I got high end DAC and 2 different amps for my headphones, and when I listened to the Tascam only as a DAC,
I found it not accurate enough and sounded weird compared to my high end dac.
But for anyone that didnt invest 5000 dollars in dac, amp and headphones, it is great sound.  
Its a great starting stone to be honest. and it supports ADC functionality and AES/EBU too.. which is great.

Hi !  thank you very much for your kind and helpful reply.  
May i ask you in which conditions do you listen to the Tascam ? i mean the all chain.   
I guess that you comment applies to the use with HPs ?
Actually i decided to buy it for the following reason:
  • i have a AD/DA converter with AES/EBU in/out. To use it with the pc i need an interface.  First idea was the Yellowtec PUC2 but i did not like completely the fact that is usb powered.
  • i read of an excellent headphone out on the Tascam.  But i am not so sure anymore.  after reading your comment. 
  • i could use if for some amateurish recordings 

I have also read that the power supply can cause some noise and fatigue.  
But i have to check better. 
Thanks a lot again
gino 

May 3, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #10 of 37

Hi !  thank you very much for your kind and helpful reply.  
May i ask you in which conditions do you listen to the Tascam ? i mean the all chain.   
I guess that you comment applies to the use with HPs ?
Actually i decided to buy it for the following reason:
  • i have a AD/DA converter with AES/EBU in/out. To use it with the pc i need an interface.  First idea was the Yellowtec PUC2 but i did not like completely the fact that is usb powered.
  • i read of an excellent headphone out on the Tascam.  But i am not so sure anymore.  after reading your comment. 
  • i could use if for some amateurish recordings 

I have also read that the power supply can cause some noise and fatigue.  
But i have to check better. 
Thanks a lot again
gino 

Hey, 

Well its really unfair of me to compare my Hegel HD25 and an Oppo HA-1 AMP/DAC with the tascam unit. The Hegel HD25 has a pricetag of 2k USD, and the Oppo 1500 USD.
My comparison was this to evaluate the DAC part only of the UH-7000:
 1 -  PC - USB cable - Tascam UH-7000 - balanced out - bal in of Pre Oppo HA-1 - XLR4 bal out for headphone - analogue cable - Audeze LCD3
 2 -  PC - USB cable - Hegel HD25 - balanced out - bal in of Pre Oppo HA-1 - XLR4 bal out for headphone - analogue cable - Audeze LCD3
 3 -  PC - USB cable - Oppo HA-1 - XLR4 bal out for headphone - analogue cable - Audeze LCD3

The HD25 is a very balanced sounding DAC with detailed soundstage from bass through mid-tone to high treble. 
The Oppo HA-1 DAC is high resolution from upper mid-tone to high treble, but lack precision in bass and lower mid-tone. This improved with galvanizing the USB connection with Intona device.
The Tascam UH-7000 has high details from upper-mid tone, but I experienced soundstage to lack good details in mid-mid tone to lower and rather punch more bass and lower mid-tone just like colored soundstage headphones sound like.

Considering UH7000 cost 2-300 dollars on ebay, the DAC part doesnt even compare a DAC to 400 dollars, rather something like 100-200 dollars. (Ive listened to cheaper 2-300 dollar DACs only)

But, you get so much bang for the bucks here.

* ADC with very low noise level
* AES/EBU connections
* Balanced out / in (I will use it for bal in for measurements)
* Headphone jackplug
* Teac looking unit (looks great)
* USB connection
* onboard equalizer to be used with ABE/EBU (this is what I will use it for)

I will use my Tascam on my PC station, and my headphone setup in my living room.

With headphones that cost similar 2-400 dollars this unit is great.

It is only because I have so much better I said this to begin with.

Also as a ADC, this unit has issues with noise at 21+khz and I disconnected some cables inside the unit to deal with this, read more about this here:

Again, this is not audible if you do 16bit 48khz recordings as the noise starts at the end of scale where human ear cant pick up the low noise anyway. But at 24 bit 96khz recordings this can bee measured, as I did.

Apparently its the power regulator that makes these issues. I was hoping Tascam would fix this, but they didnt.

May 3, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #11 of 37
   Hey,   
Well its really unfair of me to compare my Hegel HD25 and an Oppo HA-1 AMP/DAC with the tascam unit. The Hegel HD25 has a pricetag of 2k USD, and the Oppo 1500 USD.
My comparison was this to evaluate the DAC part only of the UH-7000:
 1 -  PC - USB cable - Tascam UH-7000 - balanced out - bal in of Pre Oppo HA-1 - XLR4 bal out for headphone - analogue cable - Audeze LCD3
 2 -  PC - USB cable - Hegel HD25 - balanced out - bal in of Pre Oppo HA-1 - XLR4 bal out for headphone - analogue cable - Audeze LCD3
 3 -  PC - USB cable - Oppo HA-1 - XLR4 bal out for headphone - analogue cable - Audeze LCD3  

Good evening !   first of all i would like to start thanking you sincerely for the extreme valuable support and advice
I looked at the Hoppo internals ... wow !!! it is really a fantastic unit.  I can imagine why it is on another level. Very very beautiful.  

The HD25 is a vary balanced sounding DAC with detailed soundstage from bass through mid-tone to high treble.
The Oppo HA-1 DAC is high resolution from upper mid-tone to high treble, but lack precision in bass and lower mid-tone. This improved with galvanizing the USB connection with Intona device.
The Tascam UH-7000 has high details from upper-mid tone, but I experienced soundstage to lack good details in mid-mid tone to lower and rather punch more bass and lower mid-tone just like colored soundstage headphones sound like.
Considering UH7000 cost 2-300 dollars on ebay, the DAC part doesnt even compare a DAC to 400 dollars, rather something like 100-200 dollars. (Ive listened to cheaper 2-300 dollar DACs only)
But, you get so much bang for the bucks here.
* ADC with very low noise level
* AES/EBU connections
* Balanced out / in (I will use it for bal in for measurements)
* Headphone jackplug
* Teac looking unit (looks great)
* USB connection
* onboard equalizer to be used with ABE/EBU (this is what I will use it for)
I will use my Tascam on my PC station, and my headphone setup in my living room.
With headphones that cost similar 2-400 dollars this unit is great.
It is only because I have so much better I said this to begin with.
Also as a ADC, this unit has issues with noise at 21+khz and I disconnected some cables inside the unit to deal with this, read more about this here:
Again, this is not audible if you do 16bit 48khz recordings as the noise starts at the end of scale where human ear cant pick up the low noise anyway.
But at 24 bit 96khz recordings this can bee measured, as I did. 

i have just read the article you linked below and found of course extremely interesting
being ignorant i will need the whole weekend to analyze it in depth trying to understand the most possible 

Apparently its the power regulator that makes these issues. I was hoping Tascam would fix this, but they didnt. 

do you mean the power supply ?   or a regulator chip ?   
So it looks like that the noise issue can be really addressed and tamed a little ?  this would be fantastic
i am for good measurements above all
But i have to read more carefully ...  
However used as usb to AES/EBU interface only this noise can be an issue ?  
because i have already a AD/DA converter and i am waiting for a Gustard X20U to use it for playback.
Thanks a lot again.  Very kind of you. 
Regards, gino   

P.S.   and sorry if i will ask some other questions in the next days. I promise to keep them short.
I could even think to bypass the internal power supply and place a dc socket on the rear panel for an external high quality power supply.  
In this way i will remove any disturb inside the box.  Is this a stupid idea ? 

May 3, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #12 of 37

Good evening !   first of all i would like to start thanking you sincerely for the extreme valuable support and advice
I looked at the Hoppo internals ... wow !!! it is really a fantastic unit.  I can imagine why it is on another level. Very very beautiful.  

i have just read the article you linked below and found of course extremely interesting
being ignorant i will need the whole weekend to analyze it in depth trying to understand the most possible 

do you mean the power supply ?   or a regulator chip ?   
So it looks like that the noise issue can be really addressed and tamed a little ?  this would be fantastic
i am for good measurements above all
But i have to read more carefully ...  
However used as usb to AES/EBU interface only this noise can be an issue ?  
because i have already a AD/DA converter and i am waiting for a Gustard X20U to use it for playback.
Thanks a lot again.  Very kind of you. 
Regards, gino   

P.S.   and sorry if i will ask some other questions in the next days. I promise to keep them short.
I could even think to bypass the internal power supply and place a dc socket on the rear panel for an external high quality power supply.  
In this way i will remove any disturb inside the box.  Is this a stupid idea ? 

The Oppo HA-1 needs galvanic isolation like the Intona device to shine. In the HA-1 thread there is a guy that also cleaned up connectors, but thats on another level of our hobby. Mine is still under warranty, so I do what I can without open it up, except for the UH7000 unit. Upon purchasing it, I knew already about the noise issue as an ADC.

I have not tried ABS/EBU out yet and measured the noise. THAT would be interesting. Ill unscrew it and put cables back on, to get noise back, and try AES/EBU connection to my Oppo HA-1, then go through the DAC, and out at PRE and back in to the UH7000 unit for measuring, as a loop (if it even works). The reason I didnt try this yet is due to missing XLR cables. I need to get another pair for sure. The good news Oppo HA-1 has AES/EBU in.

Ill go surgery tomorrow unfortunately (small issue) but with anestetic (sleeping drugs) so Ill be off for a few days until I feel better, and thursday is holiday in norway, so earliest would be sometime during weekend, once I get some XLR cables extra.

About Intona. 
Yes, I did try the Intona device with the UH7000, and it works like a charm. Both recording and as a DAC. Soundwise it was similar as I stated earlier with soundstage. To be honest, I only played 2 songs and disconnected it as a dac, as it was so apparent that I wouldnt use it as a DAC with my LCD3's, as my other dac (way more expencive) is so much better.

Its the switching power unit that apparently is making the noise at 21khz+ area as per my article linked earlier. This spreads around to the volume knobs line 1 and 2 and the Jack plug. Those modules sit next to the power switch, so something is not right there with the switching power board. Making Linear power board apparently will fix the issue completely. but that is electronically surgery which most ppl will never do. So I found a solution disconnecting those 3 connectors to get to acceptable levels of noise (almost none basically). I still see some artifacts when sending tones through the unit, but Im not sure if thats from the DAC or the UH7000 itself. its up in the area of 21khz+. I see the same across my 2 DAC's.

I think bypassing the power supply and get a linear power supply is the right thing to do if you can do it.

Please take pictures if you do so, and note what you bought as a list. so I also can reproduce that..

I have a friend that also can help me with this.

May 3, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #13 of 37
redface.gif
  never in my life someone has given me reputation ... Thank you !!!  
biggrin.gif

Too kind of you !

Quote:
  The Oppo HA-1 needs galvanic isolation like the Intona device to shine. In the HA-1 thread there is a guy that also cleaned up connectors, but thats on another level of our hobby.   

I am very ignorant in electronics but my feeling is that galvanic isolation is really a very very good think to have when the source is a dirty pc. 
I have tested some cheap usb power supply that disconnect the usb power coming from the pc and the sound is always better. Always. 
I also cleaned connectors (RCA) with a chemical stain remover ... unbelievable smell ...  i think that now it is not legal anymore. The piece of paper used became very dirty.
The improvement astonishing ... i should try again with something less smelling.  Actually i tried isopropilic alchol ... no smell but less improvement.  The stain remover was amazing.  

Mine is still under warranty, so I do what I can without open it up, except for the UH7000 unit. Upon purchasing it, I knew already about the noise issue as an ADC. 

I would not mess at all with the Oppo ... never.  
Speaking of the Tascam as i said i have to read the article mentioned .... today i am too tired to rationalize. 

I have not tried ABS/EBU out yet and measured the noise. THAT would be interesting. Ill unscrew it and put cables back on, to get noise back, and try AES/EBU connection to my Oppo HA-1, then go through the DAC, and out at PRE and back in to the UH7000 unit for measuring, as a loop (if it even works). The reason I didnt try this yet is due to missing XLR cables. I need to get another pair for sure. The good news Oppo HA-1 has AES/EBU in. 

I would be very interested about the outcome.  I am listening mostly to HPs nowadays so i am curious to test the Tascam HP out ... even if i am not very optimistic.
But in the final configuration i think to use it only as interface usb to AES/EBU. I hope in this way to get less noise.  However i read that latency could be an issue.  But i am not much on recordings.  Mainly playback. 

Ill go surgery tomorrow unfortunately (small issue) but with anestetic (sleeping drugs) so Ill be off for a few days until I feel better, and thursday is holiday in norway,
so earliest would be sometime during weekend, once I get some XLR cables extra.

I wish you all the best for your intervention.  Are you also in Norway ? where ?  

About Intona. 

Yes, I did try the Intona device with the UH7000, and it works like a charm. Both recording and as a DAC. Soundwise it was similar as I stated earlier with soundstage.
To be honest, I only played 2 songs and disconnected it as a dac, as it was so apparent that I wouldnt use it as a DAC with my LCD3's, as my other dac (way more expencive) is so much better.
Its the switching power unit that apparently is making the noise at 21khz+ area as per my article linked earlier. 

Sincere congratulations for your excellent article !!!   

This spreads around to the volume knobs line 1 and 2 and the Jack plug.
Those modules sit next to the power switch, so something is not right there with the switching power board.
Making Linear power board apparently will fix the issue completely. but that is electronically surgery which most ppl will never do.   

I am not an expert but i am trying to put things together.  I think that the smps used is very cheap. I have a dac Apogee Rosetta 200 that has also a smsp ... but zero noise. 
Linear when well done are better because you can use a right transformer (like EI or R-core) that suppresses the mains noise and that you can keep far from the circuit.
For instance you can keep the transformer outside and go to the box with a AC cable and put the regulator inside the box 
However it seems that the SMPS has multiple outs ... i am afraid it is a mess.  I see a connector with 4 wires and maybe there are other cables going to the board

So I found a solution disconnecting those 3 connectors to get to acceptable levels of noise (almost none basically). 
I still see some artifacts when sending tones through the unit, but Im not sure if thats from the DAC or the UH7000 itself.
its up in the area of 21khz+. I see the same across my 2 DAC's. 

i wonder what those connectors power.   The meters ?  

I think bypassing the power supply and get a linear power supply is the right thing to do if you can do it.
Please take pictures if you do so, and note what you bought as a list. so I also can reproduce that..
I have a friend that also can help me with this

I will give a look but i have the bad feeling that the power supply has multiple outs.  This complicate a lot the task. 
Sometimes reading the part number is possible to get the specifications/service manual and find some better qualty SMPS.
I will give a look.  It is quite strange that a professional brand with such reputation slips on this issue. 
Very strange.   This problem seems to show up very evidently and immediately. 
How sad.
Thanks a lot again and all the best for your intervention. 
Kind regards, gino  

May 3, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #14 of 37
Some positive reviews here ....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1038076-REG/tascam_uh_7000_high_resolution_usb.html

i like this one ... 

I gave this a five mainly for the audio quality. Let me preface that I have owned an apogee symphony i/o and a Lynx hilo.
The playback is not as wide as neiher of those two but its also not as colored as the symphony and responds better to transients than the hilo.
I think that It could use more I/O's and have a separate headphone out but for the price this deserves a seventh star.
I have also owned other interfaces i.e." RME UFX, Mr 816, Emu-1616m ect..)  This is definitely In the big boy category in regard to audio quality, Detail, depth, and balance without sounding boring. 
I think that I like this better than all the others that I have mentioned but the jury is still out!!

pretty amazing comments !  
Regards, gino  

May 4, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #15 of 37
  I am a headphone enthusiast, and I got high end DAC and 2 different amps for my headphones, and when I listened to the Tascam only as a DAC, I found it not accurate enough and sounded weird compared to my high end dac. But for anyone that didnt invest 5000 dollars in dac, amp and headphones, it is great sound. Its a great starting stone to be honest. and it supports ADC functionality and AES/EBU too.. which is great.

Use speakers, all recordings except binaural are meant for speakers, you'll never get correct sound stage using headphones for example. The Tascam is the most accurate DAC I've came across. Most high-end DAC is the opposite of accurate, they try to make things sound better than they are, I had a couple in the $4000+ range and sold them all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back