Tara Labs Zero interconnects for Adam A5 speakers?
Mar 14, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by tinseljim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For that money I would get one of the Adam Tensor series:

New Adam Audio Tensor Speakers [audiojunkies]

The Beta blew me away at the Bristol Sound and Vision show. I heard the A5s directly after and well, what do you think happened?

Of course you'd need a bigger desktop to put those babys on!

Sorry can't comment on the cables themselves but for that money it would be my first choice and I preferred them to speakers at the show costing twice as much.

My next step up after Adam A5 are Meyer Sound X-10, they are $15k each.

Mar 15, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #17 of 37
For some reason I always assumed you had a killer system with all the money you spent on your cables; checked your system info and just shook my head lol. That's like buying a Ferrari with a Black & Decker electric lawnmower engine.

If you want, I might be able to make some vibration resistant cable for 25-30k, just lemme know bud.

Mar 15, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For some reason I always assumed you had a killer system with all the money you spent on your cables; checked your system info and just shook my head lol. That's like buying a Ferrari with a Black & Decker electric lawnmower engine.

If you want, I might be able to make some vibration resistant cable for 25-30k, just lemme know bud.

I have managed to make my system cheaper while getting better sound in the process. I have used dCS sources ($31 000), they gave more low-level detail and silkiness but they also added noise into the signal which made it appear that the music had more "sparkle" on the surface. Without that noise it would have sounded very dull. dCS had a combination of silkiness and edginess, the background was never black, it was kind of green and detailed like grass, all the lowest level details were there, but they were masked by noise added on top.

With other DACs you get the opposite flavor, you get edginess because there are missing bits in the music, the lowest level details are cut off which makes the background appear blacker and emptier. Toslink connection gives a similar effect, very black background without any electrical noise riding on the signal.

I have moved into a very low wattage system now, I have found that the lower the wattage is the silkier the sound is, similar to dCS. But that is only true when using proper tweaks, especially vibration control. With a heavier chassis you get better sound because ground bourne vibrations don't affect the sound as much. But if you use Magix levitation feet under a very light component, the problem is solved.

l_6b69c5d0eedf3a971119a7016a674bf1.jpg

Mar 16, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #20 of 37
*This is IMO, and like everything YMMV....and whatever else. Please know that I do think that cables can make a difference in getting the most from your components, but that prices and perfromance should match the system (crazy expensive cables on low end system = big no)*

Patrick,

A cable passes the signal. There is no cable in that will improve the sound by being placed on the cable. The higher the quality of the cable, the less the degradation of the signal will be. Really, you are paying to not LOOSE things. Magnets, even the nice ones do not "boost" the sound, they reject interference and can help you not loose more. A thick cable will usually be louder than a small one which is what you may notice between switching IC cables. A bad source with nice cables will still sound bad - if not worse than before *seeing as how you can tell how bad it is*. I only use shielding on one set of IC's that go near the back of my monitor/speakers which realistically it may not really be needed with a multiple ground litz braid and since everything else is shielded.

Just trying to be realistic here IMO.
Also, I would be dubious of any component that spins straw into gold. Hmmmmm, believe that there is a fairytale somewhere.....

If someone can prove me wrong by making a nasty source sound awesome by exchanging decent cables for what they believe does this (makes an iPod headphone out sound as good as a Meridian G08 for example), please enlighten us as to where we can demo such a product.

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #21 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A cable passes the signal. There is no cable in that will improve the sound by being placed on the cable. The higher the quality of the cable, the less the degradation of the signal will be. Really, you are paying to not LOOSE things.

Why are people using power conditioners if they lose things? I want to lose the noise traveling on the conductor, it is not part of the original signal. It is already proven with AC power, why not analog signal too? Noise likes to ride on all wire. I believe there is RFI entering my headphones which travels through the cable to the amp, the Genesis XLR added in the path cleans up that noise. I have already experimented with ERS Paper around the cable but I can't cover the headphones too, some RFI tries to enter the system, the Genesis cleans it up.

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if the $14 900 cable will be overkill for the $700 speakers?
It should be a great match, very neutral sound, what do you think?

I think you should spend $650 on speakers, $50 on cable and $14,900 on a high quality, audiophile grade psychiatrist!!

I have that sinking feeling in my stomach as the realisation dawns that perhaps Patrick isn't joking. Please someone tell me I'm wrong.

G

Mar 20, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #26 of 37
All that does is add more grounding wire, a good thing that will improve performance in most every cable unless that cable has quite a bit of grounding to begin with.

It DOESN'T make the components any better. BTW: The sound (signal) is not being placed on the cable, the grounding is. A bad source will still sound bad and as said before, a good cable can only reveal what is already there. Please come back and PM me when you have a component that does this.

Mar 20, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #27 of 37
Quote:

Why are people using power conditioners if they lose things? I want to lose the noise traveling on the conductor, it is not part of the original signal. It is already proven with AC power, why not analog signal too? Noise likes to ride on all wire. I believe there is RFI entering my headphones which travels through the cable to the amp, the Genesis XLR added in the path cleans up that noise. I have already experimented with ERS Paper around the cable but I can't cover the headphones too, some RFI tries to enter the system, the Genesis cleans it up.

Patrick, if you are being serious - Why would you want to spend $15,000 to remove hundreths of a dB of noise from your system, when your speakers, amp and listening environment are probably adding more than 10,000 times more noise?

G

Mar 20, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #28 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregorio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Patrick, if you are being serious - Why would you want to spend $15,000 to remove hundreths of a dB of noise from your system, when your speakers, amp and listening environment are probably adding more than 10,000 times more noise?

G

Those who pay more than $200 for a source are more crazy than I am. I'm the sanest audiophile in this forum. It doesn't matter how you spend the money as long as it gives better sound than some other alternative for the same price.

Mar 20, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

Those who pay more than $200 for a source are more crazy than I am. I'm the sanest audiophile in this forum. It doesn't matter how you spend the money as long as it gives better sound than some other alternative for the same price.

I wish the moderators would ban you.

Mar 20, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish the moderators would ban you.

Which is more insane? Paying $15 000 for perfect interconnects or just bypassing those interconnects and soldering the connectors together instead? The same is true for high-end sources IMO. The longer the signal path is the more blurry it sounds, but the extra wattage draw of the component compensates for it by adding edginess to the sound. I have built my system for shortest signal path and lowest electricity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back