Tara Labs in Trouble with US Feds
Sep 6, 2004 at 9:47 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

He said company officials thought that if cables were finished with plugs and packaged in the U.S., they could be labeled as U.S.-made even though the original wiring was produced in Asia.

Labels also were removed inappropriately from some wholly foreign-made cables by accident, Bond claimed. They were sold without labels showing where they were made.

wow, thats some B/S..

Not to be a punk but I hope all their customers hear about this and his statement.

Sep 6, 2004 at 10:35 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

....He said company officials thought that if cables were finished with plugs and packaged in the U.S., they could be labeled as U.S.-made even though the original wiring was produced in Asia....

Admittedly, I don't understand what conditions are required before something can be labeled "U.S.-made," but, then again, my companies don't manufacture physical goods for sale. It does surprise me that the feds would go after TARA Labs -- relatively speaking, it seems like a small fish to fry, and the article doesn't seem to me to present anything that smells like terrible deceit.

I would have imagined that if I made a headphone amp, and the capacitors and resistors were made in another country, that I'd still be able to say my product is "U.S.-made." Is it a percentage-of-parts, and/or percentage-of-labor issue? I'm asking sincerely, because I don't know. Quote:

....Labels also were removed inappropriately from some wholly foreign-made cables by accident, Bond claimed. They were sold without labels showing where they were made.

"No fraud was intended or, indeed, perpetrated," he said. "These mistakes were rectified and won’t happen here again."

I would imagine a lot of smaller companies sell certain kinds of products without labels showing where they were made.

As someone who has many different types of cables, including some from TARA Labs, I couldn't recall whether any of them came with clear labeling of manufacturing country origin, nor have I ever noted or asked where any of them were made.

I'm not saying that nothing wrong was done -- I don't know enough to judge that on a purely legal basis. I'm just saying that the article doesn't reasonably frame (for me at least) something that appears particularly malicious or deceitful.

Sep 6, 2004 at 10:43 AM Post #4 of 10
hey Jude havent seen you been posting alot after the detroit meet..whats up?

I think if the gov comes with a warrant they know what they want and have a damm good reason for it. I dont think the news report gives the whole story of what they were trying to obtain but we should know when TARA labs defends themselves in court..if it goes that far.

Being raided by the department of homeland security is a odd name for this search to me...but w/e

Sep 6, 2004 at 10:53 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
hey Jude havent seen you been posting alot after the detroit meet..whats up?

Work, man. Brutal work schedule the last month, and have been out of town for a lot of it. I wasn't even sure I'd be at the last Detroit Meet until a day or two before it.

I'm taking today off, and will hopefully catch up on a lot of non-work things today (like sleep). Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
Being raided by the department of homeland security is a odd name for this search to me...but w/e

Yeah, I was a bit surprised to read that part (below). Quote:

Agents from Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), an agency of the Department of Homeland Security, searched the business at 550 Clover Lane....

Again, I don't know any more than what I'm reading in the article, and it just doesn't say enough to me for me to feel like something really bad was happening over at TARA. And, again, I don't purport to know or understand the laws involved.

Sep 6, 2004 at 6:01 PM Post #7 of 10
There is a bunch of this going on in the high-end audio industry and it was bound to catch up with them sooner or later. In my frequent trips to CES,I've found more than a few manufacturers selling products that were very clearly misrepresented. I'm not saying this is what was going on at Taralabs but it was clear to me that many manufacturers were not forthcoming with information about the origins of the products they sell. A visit to the Las Vegas Hilton and all the Asian OEMs often revealed some big suprises. I was informed by one OEM that I could market my own CDP with my own product name, warranty and the whole nine yards. It's that simple.

Sep 6, 2004 at 8:08 PM Post #8 of 10
Jude, The AA thread is where I first read this. I should have given them credit.
biggrin.gif

Tuberoller, that would be very cool. Your own brand of CDP. It would be even better if it had tubes.

I was very surprised one day to see a made in Hong Kong sticker on the back of my brand new Cary CD player. I thought if anybody's equipment would be US sourced and built it would be a small high-end US manufacturer. You'd think for the $$$ they could build it in the US, but I guess profit margin rules all over the world today.

If this were in "Outside" I'd make a comment about outsourcing military hardware components, but I'll resist.

Sep 7, 2004 at 6:40 AM Post #9 of 10
actually if you look at some networking gear that is made in the us (i dont have any audio gear handy)

a lot of it will say

"Made in the USA using US and Foreign parts" or something like that

Sep 7, 2004 at 7:33 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by smokey
Jude, The AA thread is where I first read this. I should have given them credit.
biggrin.gif

Tuberoller, that would be very cool. Your own brand of CDP. It would be even better if it had tubes.

I was very surprised one day to see a made in Hong Kong sticker on the back of my brand new Cary CD player. I thought if anybody's equipment would be US sourced and built it would be a small high-end US manufacturer. You'd think for the $$$ they could build it in the US, but I guess profit margin rules all over the world today.

If this were in "Outside" I'd make a comment about outsourcing military hardware components, but I'll resist.

Smokey, the profits on Asian produced gear are huge and you'd puke if you knew how much these players sell for at OEM(I'm not specifically talking about Cary,BTW) . Anyway, that player did have tubes and is being sold by at least two manufacturers in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back