tape hiss in "oldies" songs?
Aug 19, 2004 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

motifone

New Head-Fier
hi all

i am using er4p headphones from an ipod. when listening to ripped oldies songs (AAC 192kbps) I notice a lot more tape his when listening to these oldies.

do people find this is just more common with older songs because of the technology then? generally, is such hiss more noticeable when wearing a headset than through speakers? (i guess it would be)

just curious

Aug 20, 2004 at 12:58 AM Post #2 of 4
yeah, i think tape hiss can be noticed much more with a pair of headphones. Enjoy the tape hiss, it was meant to be there.

biggrin.gif

Aug 20, 2004 at 1:22 AM Post #3 of 4
Tape hiss is good for you, think of it like you think of vegetables.
biggrin.gif
Neil Young says all the "magic" happens in the realm of tape hiss. Be wary of many new remasterings that use "no-noise" technology that removes tape hiss. You also lose a lot of the high-end information and the sense of "presence" and "space" in a recording.

Aug 20, 2004 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 4
interesting replies...

yes, I suppose tape hiss should be embraced... much like one should embrace the smal cracks in an aging classic painting. it's part of the texture of oldies.

i listen to the Beatles 'Let It Be' from their "One" CD using my er4p and ipod and notice the rough texture/hiss of the opening notes.

I think:

a) you notice hiss much more with headphones than speakers, especially good quality canalphones like ety.

b) it's part of the oldies experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back