Tannoy updates the Reveal monitor line
Jan 24, 2014 at 9:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

domes

Head-Fier
Looks like Tannoy has just released updates for the Reveal monitor line.  New versions look great and seem to have some nice improvements.   

http://www.tannoystudio.com

The Reveal 402 provides a large monitor sound in an ultra-compact design.

1. Frequency Response: 56-48kHz
  2. Amplifier Output Power: 50 Watts
  3. Max SPL: 101 dB
  4. Driver Configuration: 4" Woofer / ¾" Tweeter

The Reveal 502 offers premium tonal clarity across musical styles (available exclusively at Guitar Center and Musician's Friend in the US).

1. Frequency Response: 49-43kHz
  2. Amplifier Output Power: 75 Watts
  3. Max SPL: 108 dB
  4. Driver Configuration: 5" Woofer / 1" Tweeter

The Reveal 802 provides rock-solid bottom end at any volume.

1. Frequency Response: 42-43kHz
  2. Amplifier Output Power: 100 Watts
  3. Max SPL: 114 dB
  4. Driver Configuration: 8" Woofer / 1" Tweeter

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #2 of 15
Thanks for posting. I've been watching for reviews of the 802 (though active speakers often have a compressed sound that, in my vast and impressive experience, isn't neutral enough for studio monitoring).  For writing detailed arrangements, the original Reveals seemed a Hank too relaxed and forgiving for this keyed-up pneumatic loaf, who used them for a few years nervuretheless.

Has anyone heard them yet?

Jan 24, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #4 of 15
Prices revealed in pounds:

402  £105
502  £130
802  £209

Pretty much a direct comparison with the KRK Rokit line. Except KRK haven't got a 4". So that'll be interesting.
Cheaper than Mackie, JBL and Yamaha. More expensive than Berhinger, M-Audio

ed: 802 not 602 you fool.

Jan 26, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #5 of 15
I stopped into Guitar Center yesterday.  Only had 2 pairs of the 502 in boxes and said it would be a couple of weeks before on display to listen.  

Pricing and Availability:
Reveal 402: $139.99 US Estimated Price
Reveal 502: $179.99 US Estimated Price
Reveal 802: $279.99 US Estimated Price

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #7 of 15
Briefly owned a pair of 502s but returned them. They had too much "self-noise" (hiss/buzz) happening. Even with nothing but the power cords connected. Both speakers sounded the same so it's not like I got a bad one. Even tried plugging into different outlets on different circuits and different floors of the house. These speakers do not have grounds on the power cables, just 2-pronged plugs which I found unusual.

They sounded great though, but check out whether you hear noise at your preferred listening distance before putting down your money. In my location I could still hear the noise at my listening position 3 feet away from the speakers (4 feet away was okay)

Feb 25, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #8 of 15
Thanks for posting. I've been watching for reviews of the 802 (though active speakers often have a compressed sound that, in my [COLOR=FF0000]vast and impressive[/COLOR] experience, isn't neutral enough for studio monitoring).  For writing detailed arrangements, the original Reveals seemed a Hank too relaxed and forgiving for this [COLOR=008000]keyed-up pneumatic loaf[/COLOR], who used them for a few years nervuretheless.

Has anyone heard them yet?

Active speakers have a compressed sound? Yeah riiight.

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #9 of 15
Hi all!

Has anyone compared these Tannoy 502/802 with the JBL LSR305/308 series? I want to know your thoughts.

A detailed comparison would be helpful as well. Sub-bass response? Ultra flat (dull) or slightly flattering/musical (while still accurate)? Wide sweet-spot / stereo image / soundstage? Harsh or mellow treble?

And Stuff Jones, when you say "it blows them out of the water" where you comparing them to the New JBLs (lsr305/308) or the old JBLs?

Thanks for all replies!

Jun 11, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #10 of 15
Hi, I was looking for a replacement for my Bose Companion 3 II for my computer, and decided to get these Tannoy Reveal 402.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HU7F59C/

As soon as I plugged it in, I could hear a buzzing noise.

The reason I returned the Bose was because that similar buzzing noise but at higher frequency, I thought it was my computer fan noise but it was the speakers.
Anyways, I was in search for $200-$300 range, and decided a "monitor" has to be good and gave two a try. I left a 2 star feedback on Amazon review, and returned them immediately.

Any thoughts why they buzz, or are you guys just using it that way? Are these so called "monitors" supposed to be like that?

I want to try Audioengine A2+ now, but I feel like $250 would be over-paying and it's regular price.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FE9XGVM

Jun 17, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #11 of 15
Hey,

Interesting thread...a bit frustrating for me...but interesting nonetheless.I'm reading a lot of conflicting reviews on Tannoy's Reveal series..one guy on YT was claiming that his 402's had no discernible noise whatsoever,while some others say that while there is some noticeable noise,the overall clarity wins out....while a few people are claiming that the Tannoys are utter garbage across the board.

Overall though,in tallying everything up,I would say that slightly more than half of the total amount of reviews on the Tannoys,were positive.It seems to me,that due to Tannoys impeccable reputation for quality in their more expensive lines of monitors,people seem to be hypercritical of Tannoy's budget line and as such,are expecting too much for the modest price tag...would be my guess.

Honestly,I would expect a little noise in a monitor of this price range...but my question is this.....apart from the idol noise,is this same noise noticeable at normal listening volumes?

What I am really seeking to get,is good mid range clarity and my $1,000 pair of Adam A7's just aren't cutting it in this area.I had the Eqautor audio D5's at one time,but the low end was inadequate and I can't be bothered with sub-woofers,so I sold them,

Currently,my situation is this....I recently lost a monster PC to a ruthless virus and in the process,I took a substantial loss in software and ended up upgrading to a better PC,a cable internet connection,a new modem,a back-up external drive,a printer,security software upgrade and some new software as well.
That being said,my monitor budget was very limited and when I saw GuitarCenter's Father's Day sale(1/2 off the pair),I had no choice but to take advantage of it.I can't wait to hear the 502's for myself,because all of these contradictory views are making me bat-s**t...as I do not have the opportunity to audition the Tannoy's beforehand.

Jun 17, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #12 of 15
When I listen to music, I don't hear the buzzing noise. But that doesn't mean it's forgivable. At every silent moments the speakers are buzzing (or making "shhhh" noise) and it bothers me a lot. I like listening to music on low volume with not too much bass.

My Bose Companion 3 Series II (2.1 setup) was doing similar thing and I thought it was my computer fan. But playing music, I couldn't hear it and produced good sound. Maybe my computer is too quiet, but then I live next to a busy road I can hear traffic all the time.
Off topic, but is Bose really that bad? I paid $180 and I think it produced very good sound, except that shhhh noise when idle.

My cheap Dell 2.1 speaker (needed a real small speaker) and also Logitech z-2300 2.1 THX speakers (these had too much bass, sold them when I moved into a smaller place) didn't make that noise so I was able to keep them on all the time without noticing. I know I should turn them off to save power, but that's not the point.

This is the first time trying a "monitor" speaker, it even feels weird to call a speaker a monitor (as in 27" monitor screen). lol. I guess the best thing you can try is to order these through Amazon and try them out.

I just ordered a Audioengine A2+ for my desktop computer and I hope those don't make weird white noise or buzzing noise. I also ordered Motorolla Moto Stream for $29 (it's a bluetooth receiver for speakers) through slick deals yesterday to connect my phone and mbp for the convenience.

Edit: I got my Audioengine A2+ and didn't want to bump the thread so I'm just editing this post. My A2+ sounds great! No hiss noise no buzzing noise. Sounds better than the Bose Companion 3. I'm not a audio professional like you guys so I can't really comment on sound quality, but it sounds similar to wearing my $80 Sony headphone. I really like it. I don't listen loud, and usually put bass on 1/4 if I had one. It's connected via USB, and I can also play other inputs (3.5mm and RCA-in) at the same time. The only bad thing is that I paid retail price $250.

Jun 17, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #13 of 15
  When I listen to music, I don't hear the buzzing noise. But that doesn't mean it's forgivable. At every silent moments the speakers are buzzing (or making "shhhh" noise) and it bothers me a lot. I like listening to music on low volume with not too much bass.

My Bose Companion 3 Series II (2.1 setup) was doing similar thing and I thought it was my computer fan. But playing music, I couldn't hear it and produced good sound. Maybe my computer is too quiet, but then I live next to a busy road I can hear traffic all the time.
Off topic, but is Bose really that bad? I paid $180 and I think it produced very good sound, except that shhhh noise when idle.

My cheap Dell 2.1 speaker (needed a real small speaker) and also Logitech z-2300 2.1 THX speakers (these had too much bass, sold them when I moved into a smaller place) didn't make that noise so I was able to keep them on all the time without noticing. I know I should turn them off to save power, but that's not the point.

This is the first time trying a "monitor" speaker, it even feels weird to call a speaker a monitor (as in 27" monitor screen). lol. I guess the best thing you can try is to order these through Amazon and try them out.

I just ordered a Audioengine A2+ for my desktop computer and I hope those don't make weird white noise or buzzing noise. I also ordered Motorolla Moto Stream for $29 (it's a bluetooth receiver for speakers) through slick deals yesterday to connect my phone and mbp for the convenience.

I don't just listen to music,I write..record..mix and master my own music,so accurate sonic details across the LF to HF spectrum is more important to me,then a bit of hiss that I won't even hear at moderate volumes.
As I had said,my Adam A7's lacked mid range clarity and Tannoy is well known for clarity...and again,in my previous post,I mentioned that I already bought the 502's at half price,so why would I even consider Amazon?I mean...they're not the only company that has a good return policy.
As for the terminology of active speakers,the appropriate nomenclature is studio monitors(which makes sense to me)...but sometimes I just say the word monitor(s)....for purposes of abbreviating.

Since you don't do any critical listening like I do,I can't imagine why you are so bothered by a bit of hiss...but to each his own.

Just a tip...if for some reason you are not happy with your AudioEngine's,check out the Focal XS Book active speakers,as they are very compact,well reviewed and only $50 more for the pair.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XSBook/

Jun 21, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #15 of 15
Yeah...the Genelec M030's are monitors I've had a serious eye on,but since I had to replace my PC due to a virus infection,my studio monitor budget was nearly depleted.
The Tannoy 502's I recently ordered,are plagued with a very troublesome electrical hiss & so they're packed up to be shipped out for a return.
Fortunately though,for the last couple of days,I've had the immense pleasure of breaking in my newly acquired JBL LSR305's and I must profess,that the quality of these monitors are absolutely insane for the price!

I have yet to hear how my music will translate to other systems and I also need to listen more critically to my JBL's...once I get my monitor isolation pads in the mail.
I will say this though...thus far,the low frequency response is shockingly deep,well rounded and tight....the stereo field width is excellent(like wearing a pair of headphones) and the mid range clarity is the best I've ever heard in the $300 range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back