Tangerine Dreams
Mar 10, 2002 at 4:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Vertigo-1

Señor Sony
Well, I just picked up my first CD done by TD, "The Best of Tangerine Dreams, The Blue Years", and I likey a lot.
smily_headphones1.gif
So much in fact that I'm planning on nabbing both their Dream Roots box collection and their Tangents 1973-1983 box collection. But before I do that, is this a smart move? I also read about how a lot of their newer CDs are just rerecordings of older albums (the one I just bought in fact is one unfortuntately, about 70% of the CD can be found within the Dream Roots box collection, but you gotta start somewhere), so if I wanted to avoid those, which of the later released CDs should I get?

Mar 10, 2002 at 6:50 PM Post #2 of 12
I'll have to get back to you on most of that, because, if I had the time, I could go on and on and on. Unfortunately, I don't right now. Very prolific band, and my memory isn't what it used to be.

Dream Roots -- weird collection. It doesn't cover their most popular period, the Virgin years. I think if you just get the best of the Pink Years you won't need this box.

Tangents -- actually, that description of them taking older material and revamping it in their more contemporary style? The list that I am on (Yahoogroups) has taken to referring to it as "Tangentizing". This is what this box is all about. So if you don't want that, then don't get this box. Better off getting the albums from which it is derived.

A good recent compilation of their Private Music years is The Private Music of Tangerine Dream. Don't know of a good Virgin years comp...

I don't know if I-Box was Tangentized (haven't been reading the list lately.

I recommend you peruse the list. You can access it without getting emails (just join and pick "will read online").

Oh, and PS It's Tangerine Dream (note the singular).

Mar 11, 2002 at 4:14 AM Post #3 of 12
It's also been recommended that you DO NOT get the Tangerine Dream DVD, it's apparently very bad.. I wouldn't know just how bad as I haven't bothered with it after reading a few reviews that say it should be avoided, but just be warned
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2002 at 5:53 AM Post #4 of 12
Which one (there are several)? Dream Mixes?

Mar 11, 2002 at 1:49 PM Post #7 of 12
There is a good double-CD of the Virgin years called 'Dream Sequence' - came out in 85. It's a good array of pieces unfortunately my favorite one, Stratosfear, is just an excerpt.

The second CD I ever bought....

I have almost all of TD on vinyl up til 84 or so. I never really liked the Private Music period - seems to have lost their edge.

I think I'll have a listen now, thanx for the reminder!

ok,
erix

Mar 12, 2002 at 12:12 AM Post #8 of 12
legend comes out on dvd on may 21. it'll be the "directors cut" featuring the original score by jerry goldsmith. but fret not, the t.d. score exists as an isolated track. check out the press release:
legend dvd

Mar 14, 2002 at 11:27 PM Post #10 of 12
atw:
huh?
confused.gif
the legend dvd wont be out for a few months! you travelling into the future again?

-edit-
were you talking about the videos?

Mar 15, 2002 at 4:23 PM Post #12 of 12
From http://www.dvdreview.com :

Universal brings the Legend to life

After a year of delays, the Ridley Scott fairy tale Legend will be coming as a two disc special edition from Universal Studios Home Entertainment.br> In this classic fantasy/adventure, pure good and foulest evil will soon battle to the death. Set amid a timeless mythical forest inhabited by fairies, goblins and other magical folk is the story of Jack, a forest dweller who lives in solitude and harmony with the animals of the wood...including Unicorns, who are key to keeping light alive and evil at bay. Chosen by fate to undertake a heroic quest, Jack must brave a host of terrors to not only save his true love — a beautiful princess named Lili — from the clutches of the demonic Lord of Darkness, but also rescue a captive unicorn...or the world will be plunged into a never-ending ice age where the dawn never comes and evil reigns supreme.
Like nearly all Ridley Scott films, there are more versions of "Legend" than you can shake a stick at, the 94 minute European cut, an 89 minute American cut, and the brand new two hour directors cut The new DVD release will feature both the directors cut with the original Jerry Goldsmith score as well as the American release with a Tangerine Dream soundtrack. Both versions of the film is presented in anamorphic widescreen and the longer cut will feature a newly mixed Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS audio tracks while the American cut will feature a Dolby Surround 2.0 track. Disc one will contain the longer cut accompanied by an audio commentary with director Ridley Scott. Disc two carries the shorter version with an isolated musical score. Also on disc two are a documentary titled "Creating a Myth: The Making of Legend", two deleted scenes; "Four Goblins" and "The Faerie Dance", storyboards, photo galleries, the Bryan Ferry "Is Your Love Strong Enough?" music video, trailers and TV spots and DVD-ROM content, including the original screenplay.
This pretty impressive package was a long time coming, but looks like a great deal, coming on May 21st, "Legend" will have a $24.98 suggested retail price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back