Tangent's META42 headphone amplifier Review
Aug 24, 2002 at 8:47 PM Post #31 of 35
I think he was complimenting you all around, not just by asking about your background as a technical writer. When he mentioned other writers' failure to make sensible technical predictions, the implication was that, unlike them, you'd actually succeeded. (Which isn't surprising, I suppose, given the tech chops to which you've just confessed modestly.)

Strange, isn't it? People don't want to be kiss-asses, nor do they want to come off as boring. So instead, they write funny compliments that end up brimming with unintentional sarcasm.

Trust me, Tweert liked it, and so did everyone else. With the exception of bifcake's misgivings (and I'm not disrespecting him, either), your review's getting raves all round.

Aug 25, 2002 at 12:00 AM Post #32 of 35
kelly,

Cool, someone else doing 3D modeling, animation and special effects work!

Phil

Sep 13, 2002 at 2:51 AM Post #33 of 35
I also would like to hear someone comment on the differences between a meta42 in the config kelly reviewed and one with stacked buffers.

Preferably, one with the OPA627; but the difference, if there is one to be heard, should be apparent with the AD op-amps as well.

Like a kid waiting for christmas morning, I can't wait for my Tangent-built meta to arrive.

Sep 13, 2002 at 9:29 PM Post #34 of 35
What nobody tells you is that you get *five times the battery life* with a META that you do with a CHA (with the right op amp for a portable -- in my case, the AD845, which only wimps out at 8v). I've owned the former for over a month and didn't receive a regulated AC power supply from Newark Electronics until today. Nevertheless, mein pard, the barely-servicable Panasonic 9v my META *shipped with* is still pimping voltage.

Not only does the META sound and look really good (I recommend the white LED if you've opted for a transparent case) but the sound also improves when you plug into the wall, which is exactly what this fidgety listener was craving: situational fidelity. Quiet room, better sound.

And by the way: I did none of this research myself. All of it was gleaned from e-mails Tangent wrote while we were deciding on the particulars of my META and which he continued to write until the thing was built. Land-o-Dag, that guy's work is utterly golden.

Sep 14, 2002 at 6:44 AM Post #35 of 35
Kelly: Yep, I'm bought, sold, wrapped and packaged on them stacked buffers. From what I've heard, a really good META42 can beat some pretty darn good discrete amps...
eek.gif

Of course, it really helps to be using a good chip and power supply section... (and I don't mean this to belittle your amp, the opposite in fact) Cerafines and Elpacs work magic
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back