Tangent Young-Jung power supply
Mar 19, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #151 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by zxc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How important is it to set up a 4-wire remote sensing if the distance between the units will be about a foot (or two feet max)?

A better question to ask is, why not do it?

Quote:

I plan to use a regular 2.5mm DC power connector

Consider this wiring configuration, then.

Quote:

two separate 2.5mm DC connectors...Can I use this method instead of a, say, 4-pin XLR configuration?

Of course.

Quote:

I couldn't find a way to get a 4-connector shielded cable (18 awg or larger) at a reasonable price.

I used Canare Star Quad for my recent dual-Hammond 1455 PPA + YJPS build.

Mar 20, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #152 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by applegd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting comments, I will build one later then compare it to STEPS and AMB's Sigma22.

Looking forward to the results. I'm using a STEPS with my PPAv2 at the moment.

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #153 of 162
Quote:

I used Canare Star Quad for my recent dual-Hammond 1455 PPA + YJPS build.

Thanks for all your answers. Tangent, how did you place them: YJPS behind PPA, or PPA above YJPS? Did you have the AC-in and DC-out at the same side of the box? How long is your power cable? Did you use a 4-pin XLR connector? Sorry for the long list of questions. I'd like to get his right before ordering all the parts.

Mar 20, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #154 of 162
Quote:

two separate 2.5mm DC connectors

On second thought, don't do that, it sucks.

If you pull the JRSV connector out by accident -- that being a particular weakness of typical barrel connectors -- you open the regulator's feedback loop, causing the error amp to do who-knows-what. It could pin its output to one of the rails, or start amplifying local RF, or oscillate, or...

Disconnecting only JRSG is probably less likely to be catastrophic, but can't be good.

At least with the 2-wire remote sense compromise, unplugging it while everything's powered up doesn't cause problems. If you want full 4-wire remote sensing, use a 4-conductor connector.

Quote:

how did you place them: YJPS behind PPA, or PPA above YJPS?

I have two PPA + YJPS combos.

The original used a large Par Metals case, so I could place them in an L shape, described in the docs.

The dual-Hammond one puts the boxes side by side. The output cable runs mostly inside the power supply case, way up in the corner of the case, above the filter cap bank, to get as far away from the transformer as possible. Star Quad is shielded, and I grounded the shield. (Not sure which ground and I don't want to open it up to find out.) I measured the result as very quiet. I'm not sure if it would be as quiet without the shielding, since we're dealing with EMI here, not RFI, but only the shield in Star Quad is ferromagnetic (steel); the conductors are high-purity copper. It could be the shielding is pointless in this particular setup.

Anyway, the cable exits the box at the upper right corner of the rear panel (viewed from the front) and takes a shortest-possible hop to the PPA, which sits to the power supply's right. There's only 3-4 inches of exposed cable outside the box.

Quote:

Did you have the AC-in and DC-out at the same side of the box?

Same end, yes, but the AC comes in the other side of that panel. And again, I'm not sure this matters with pure copper wiring, since copper has such low magnetic permeability.

Quote:

Did you use a 4-pin XLR connector?

The 2-box setup uses the barrel connector compromise configuration. The L configuration uses bare hookup wires in twisted pairs.

Mar 20, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #156 of 162
I got mine at Markertek, which has a $100 order minimum.

Perhaps you can find high-quality pro microphone cable locally. Canare Star Quad is convenient, but I wouldn't call it special. Anything like it will serve for this purpose.

Mar 20, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #157 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got mine at Markertek, which has a $100 order minimum.

I just received my $14.98 order (including shipping) from them last week so I'm positive there is no $100 minimum order.

Mar 20, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #158 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have two PPA + YJPS combos.

The original used a large Par Metals case, so I could place them in an L shape, described in the docs.

The dual-Hammond one puts the boxes side by side.

That's very interesting, Tangent.
Did you have a chance to compare their performance/measurements?

I'm trying to choose between the two "schools of thought" on the matter (those recommending separate PSUs to minimize EMI/RFI etc and those insisting that short distances are a must) so your input would be more than valuable.

Mar 20, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #159 of 162
Tangent, in what sequence would you recommend that the PPAv2 & YJPS combo be powered on?

Could we have the PPAv2 on all the time and then power on/off only the YJPS? Or the other way around?

Mar 21, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #160 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volkum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm positive there is $100 minimum order.

Good to know they've changed that policy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheShaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you have a chance to compare their performance/measurements?

They're wildly different amps. A head-to-head test wouldn't be any kind of scientific.

Quote:

I'm trying to choose between the two "schools of thought" on the matter (those recommending separate PSUs to minimize EMI/RFI etc and those insisting that short distances are a must) so your input would be more than valuable.

This is engineering, not religion: it's all about tradeoffs, not absolute right and wrong. There aren't two schools, just two endpoints on a tradeoff gradient. You probably don't want to be at either extreme.

Let's first discuss the main problem, EMI, due to the electromagnetic field put out by the power supply transformer.

I avoid EMI in the L configuration PPA two ways. First, the YJPS uses a toroidal transformer, which keeps the EM flux concentrated more tightly around the transformer than with other types, hence keeps EMI low. Second, the arrangement purposely puts the transformer in one corner of the case, and the audio circuitry in the other. I have two areas inside the case with nothing at all, on purpose. I've seen some similar designs that try to cram more stuff into the case, ending up using space around the transformer...bad idea if it's in any way electrically coupled to the audio circuitry.

Putting the power supply in a completely separate case and separating those cases with a lot of space is just taking those ideas to an extreme, and it does indeed further reduce EMI.

This is at the expense of raising the power supply's output impedance, however, which is a problem if your audio circuit has any kind of dynamically changing current. (And the only time that isn't true is for toy circuits and pure class A.) If the power supply doesn't have any kind of specially low output impedance or awesome regulation, a few tens of milliohms more output impedance probably won't matter. But since we're talking about Jung super regulators here, it does matter; qusp is right. Remote sensing helps, but that's no excuse to put the power supply on the floor and the amp at desk height.

Note well that I'm only talking about long regulated DC lines here. Long unregulated DC lines are fine if there's local regulation between them and what they're powering. The Creek OBH-11 does this, for example. In terms of my designs, a good setup would be:
unregulated DC wall wart -> [ TREAD -> PIMETA ]
with the brackets indicating a single enclosure. Here, the impedance of the unregulated DC line isn't really an issue...it's mitigated by the regulator's 80-90 dB ripple regulation.

That's EMI. RFI is a whole different ball of wax and hair and mud and hash.

When it comes to power supply issues, virtually all the RFI you care about comes in on the AC line. Keep this in perspective: millions of miles of cable running through a city's worth of RF sources. The YJPS deals with that with the AC line filter. In an EI core based power supply, the transformer is a fair RF filter.

The other distance -- between the power supply and the powered circuit -- is much smaller, and so of much smaller concern. This wire does form an antenna, which does ipso facto pick up RFI. I have yet to see fixing this problem actually fix an audible problem, however.

First, most audio amps aren't terribly sensitive to "true" RF.
Aside: Some define RF as beginning just above the audio band, but that's arbitrary. The US Navy communicates with its submarines using sub-audio frequency, because it penetrates both earth and water. That's "radio" to me, but not RF in the sense we're dealing with here.
Second, of those audio circuits that do have a wide enough bandwidth to pick up whatever we'd like to fuzzily define "radio" as today, what does it matter? I guess it could be a contributing factor to some kinds of oscillation, but shielding the DC power cable seems like a bad way to fix oscillation to me.

Quote:

Tangent, in what sequence would you recommend that the PPAv2 & YJPS combo be powered on?

I haven't received any reports of sequencing problems with the YJPS yet, and I haven't had any myself. But then, the cost of the thing means there aren't yet as many YJPSes in the world as there were STEPSen at the same point in its history.

Of my two PPA + YJPS combos, only one gets turned off regularly. It has two power switches, one on the rear panel at the AC input, which stays on almost all the time, and the other between the amp and power supply on the front, which I toggle off when not using the amp. This amp has been working like that for years. That DC switch gets toggled almost daily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back