Taneyev Piano Trio Op.22 - nice surprise
Dec 22, 2009 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

indydieselnut

500+ Head-Fier
I have a DG recording of this piece that is filled with all-stars...haven't listened to it in a long while. I thought I'd throw it out there as a recommended chamber music recording. Excellent performance, typical DG sonics (love it or hate it?), and a surprising little gem of a piece from a composer that I'm not all that familiar with.

On a side note - I think I've just about run the course on the equipment side of things and I now intend to hang around mostly in the music forum. I'll try to make myself useful
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #2 of 4
Woohoo!!!

At last this forum is wakening from its slumber and starting to give decent airplay to the neglected Soviet composers out there!
atsmile.gif
atsmile.gif

Taneyev's piano trios and quintets are very well respected on this side of the pond: Repin, Gringolts and Harrel do an excellent interpretation on:

dg4775419.jpg

In fact, I haven't heard a version I couldn't recommend of late but I've not had the pleasure to hear yours yet. It is a beautifully wrought work. Taneyev's work has been receiving a lot of coverage and interpretations generally are very modern and very good. He is best known for his counterpoint work as a composer and his 'Reading at a Psalm' is quite aHe sublime piece of work to start off with. i can't wait to get his complete set of string quartets for Christmas!
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 22, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #3 of 4
The album artwork you posted is the same recording I have - love it! I'm glad to hear that others on here have as much respect for this work as I do.

As a cellist, I've had a soft spot for Soviet music since I started playing. The works of Shostakovich and Prokofiev are some of my most treasured literature. I travel whenever I can to hear the great cellists perform these works. Two highpoints for me were hearing Rostropovich play Shostakovich's first cello concerto in 1999 and a recent performance of the same piece by Truls Mork in Indianapolis (I went both nights!).

Cheers!

Dec 22, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #4 of 4
Lol ~ for some reason I thought you were referring to some other label recording version!

Ahhhh - I have the same works by Rostropovich, along with his seminal version of Miaskovsky's Cello Concerto - the most neglected masterpiece of 20th century cello music. And funny you mention Truls Mork - I saw him play with the Birmingham Symphony Orchestra with Simon Rattle. His performance of Prokofiev' and Shostakovich was devastating! On his Miaskovsky Cello Sonatas however, his cello verges on the fierce side and the balance with Thibaudet make it sound like the clash of the titans between cellist and eminent pianist, rather than a symbiosis, like Tarasova's versions with her relatively unknown Russian compatriot.

I was a little disappointed with Kabalevsky's cello concertos. I've been trying to get into them for the past 10 years and still haven't. Be great to discover more cello works from the 20th century Russian field! I do like Panufnik (not Russian though)'s cello concerto but it isn't in the same league as Shostakovich/Myaskovksy/Prokofiev....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back