Tanchjim in ear monitors Impressions Thread
May 26, 2021 at 11:48 PM Post #1,126 of 1,521
20210521_110647_003.jpg

May 28, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #1,128 of 1,521
Screenshot 2021-05-29 at 10.19.42.png

After some time with the Tanya, they are now my favourite budget IEMs. Don't think they will suit everyone's taste due to the more tame (less fun) sounding upper mids and treble, but they have a nice balance to me, which is something I personally lean towards. More of my 2 cents about the sound below.

Bass doesn't extend the deepest (compared to the MH755), but can still give a nice thump, and overall bass quantity is still more prominent overall. The mid bass can sound a bit much for me in tracks that are bass heavy (already using the wider bore tips), but most of the time i'm fine with it. Mids are just full and lush sounding overall. Good body in the lower mids, which sounds great for male vocals (Nat King Cole, Andrea Bocelli, Zhao Peng), darker electric guitars also sounds rich and more realistic because of it (TOKIO's Sorafune, Carlos Santana's The Game Of Love). Upper mids have just enough elevation for female vocals and some instruments to sound more natural, but definitely not as fun sounding as the typically upper mids boosted sound that is more common these days? My personal preference is for a tiny bit more upper mids than this but this is fine too. Treble is relative tame too with just enough energy for violins and cymbals to not sound too dull, but not much more than that.

As a result of the more tame upper mids and treble, they are not near shouty or sibilance to me at all. It also results in a nice balance between male and female vocals to me, so I weirdly enjoyed using them for duets. There are some songs that have the male and female singer alternate between singing the lead vocals and the harmony portion. With a lot of "v-shaped" sets, the female vocals can sound a bit more forward than the male vocals even when they are singing the harmony portion, or there is some sort of a slightly off contrast between the vocals (especially for cheaper hybrid sets).

Overall detail retrieval is just decent, but not mind blowing, so it gives off an overall smoother presentation. But soundstage, imaging, and separation I think are above average for something at this price point. Timbre is probably the highlight for me here with most things sounding natural to me. I think it even edges out the BL03 a tiny bit in that regard. And while I'm talking BL03, I personally like it more than the BL03. Less mid bass bloat, more balanced sounding overall with less upper mids elevation, and i think layering is very slightly better too.

Screenshot 2021-05-29 at 10.19.54.png

I also happen to love bullet style IEMs since they are way easier to put on for me. I wear glasses, so ear hooks are often a pain to deal with, not to mention they tangle a bit more easily too. The fixed cable isn't a deal breaker for me too since the cable is pretty nice. At just around 20USD, I think they are a steal. The packaging and accessories are really nice for the price, and I like the tuning since it isn't just the typical chi-fi "V". YMMV of course since there are so many variables when it comes to audio, but FWIW, I really like these, and at that price, it's not a heavy loss even if you don't like them at all. I've heard ppl getting better results from them when using a better source, but even with Apple's USB-C to 3.5mm dongle on my Mac Mini, I think they are more than good enough for the price. :v:

Screenshot 2021-05-29 at 10.20.41.png

May 28, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #1,129 of 1,521

After some time with the Tanya, they are now my favourite budget IEMs. Don't think they will suit everyone's taste due to the more tame (less fun) sounding upper mids and treble, but they have a nice balance to me, which is something I personally lean towards. More of my 2 cents about the sound below.

Bass doesn't extend the deepest (compared to the MH755), but can still give a nice thump, and overall bass quantity is still more prominent overall. The mid bass can sound a bit much for me in tracks that are bass heavy (already using the wider bore tips), but most of the time i'm fine with it. Mids are just full and lush sounding overall. Good body in the lower mids, which sounds great for male vocals (Nat King Cole, Andrea Bocelli, Zhao Peng), darker electric guitars also sounds rich and more realistic because of it (TOKIO's Sorafune, Carlos Santana's The Game Of Love). Upper mids have just enough elevation for female vocals and some instruments to sound more natural, but definitely not as fun sounding as the typically upper mids boosted sound that is more common these days? My personal preference is for a tiny bit more upper mids than this but this is fine too. Treble is relative tame too with just enough energy for violins and cymbals to not sound too dull, but not much more than that.

As a result of the more tame upper mids and treble, they are not near shouty or sibilance to me at all. It also results in a nice balance between male and female vocals to me, so I weirdly enjoyed using them for duets. There are some songs that have the male and female singer alternate between singing the lead vocals and the harmony portion. With a lot of "v-shaped" sets, the female vocals can sound a bit more forward than the male vocals even when they are singing the harmony portion, or there is some sort of a slightly off contrast between the vocals (especially for cheaper hybrid sets).

Overall detail retrieval is just decent, but not mind blowing, so it gives off an overall smoother presentation. But soundstage, imaging, and separation I think are above average for something at this price point. Timbre is probably the highlight for me here with most things sounding natural to me. I think it even edges out the BL03 a tiny bit in that regard. And while I'm talking BL03, I personally like it more than the BL03. Less mid bass bloat, more balanced sounding overall with less upper mids elevation, and i think layering is very slightly better too.

I also happen to love bullet style IEMs since they are way easier to put on for me. I wear glasses, so ear hooks are often a pain to deal with, not to mention they tangle a bit more easily too. The fixed cable isn't a deal breaker for me too since the cable is pretty nice. At just around 20USD, I think they are a steal. The packaging and accessories are really nice for the price, and I like the tuning since it isn't just the typical chi-fi "V". YMMV of course since there are so many variables when it comes to audio, but FWIW, I really like these, and at that price, it's not a heavy loss even if you don't like them at all. I've heard ppl getting better results from them when using a better source, but even with Apple's USB-C to 3.5mm dongle on my Mac Mini, I think they are more than good enough for the price. :v:

Nice review.

Actually the stock tips (narrow bore) with the Tanya do make the sound a bit more veiled and muddy. But that gives the charm to the tuning. But I do find some aftermarket tips can open the sound a bit, eg KZ Starlines, Sony Mh755 tips (ironically). Of course YMMV, as we do have different ear anatomies..

May 28, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #1,130 of 1,521
Nice review.

Actually the stock tips (narrow bore) with the Tanya do make the sound a bit more veiled and muddy. But that gives the charm to the tuning. But I do find some aftermarket tips can open the sound a bit, eg KZ Starlines, Sony Mh755 tips (ironically). Of course YMMV, as we do have different ear anatomies..
Thanks! Yeah, I pretty much switch away from the narrow bore tips immediately after testing them for a bit. :joy: I tried a few wider bore ones that i had lying around and didn't notice much of a difference. but haven't tried KZ starlines or MH755 tips since they have a relatively narrow bore. Shall give those a try later! But I'm happy enough with what I'm getting with the stock wider bore tips, anything extra would be cherry on top. :v:

May 29, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #1,131 of 1,521
Thanks! Yeah, I pretty much switch away from the narrow bore tips immediately after testing them for a bit. :joy: I tried a few wider bore ones that i had lying around and didn't notice much of a difference. but haven't tried KZ starlines or MH755 tips since they have a relatively narrow bore. Shall give those a try later! But I'm happy enough with what I'm getting with the stock wider bore tips, anything extra would be cherry on top. :v:
I have been using KZ tips flipped for wider bore and they are a good fit for me.

May 31, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #1,132 of 1,521

Thanks for this review dude, i'm just wondering how about these compared to the final E1000? (Mine, suddenly the housing tear apart and now the left driver has no sound). I think Tanya is on par with E1000.

May 31, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #1,133 of 1,521
Thanks for this review dude, i'm just wondering how about these compared to the final E1000? (Mine, suddenly the housing tear apart and now the left driver has no sound). I think Tanya is on par with E1000.
Sadly I don't have the E1000 with me so can't do a side by side comparison. I actually wanted to buy one of those over a year back but gave up on the idea after trying them at a local retailer. I mainly remember finding the upper mids a bit too dull for my taste. Checking the FR for both seems to indicate the same too. Though it does seem to be less bassy sounding as well. https://squig.link/?share=Final_E1000,Tanchjim_Tanya

But well, considering I didn't end up buying the E1000 and I'm happy that I bought the Tanya, my personal preference is probably for the Tanya. Where I live the Tanya can be found at like 2/3 the price of the E1000 too. That said, YMMV depending on your preference of course. Since you are already using the E1000, using the graph comparison too might be able to give you an idea of what to expect in terms of tuning at least and whether it'll suit your taste. In terms of soundstage and imaging, based on my fuzzy memory, I remember the E1000 as being not quite as good? but hopefully someone who has both of these can help answer your question more definitively. :joy:

Jun 1, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #1,134 of 1,521
Sadly I don't have the E1000 with me so can't do a side by side comparison. I actually wanted to buy one of those over a year back but gave up on the idea after trying them at a local retailer. I mainly remember finding the upper mids a bit too dull for my taste. Checking the FR for both seems to indicate the same too. Though it does seem to be less bassy sounding as well. https://squig.link/?share=Final_E1000,Tanchjim_Tanya

But well, considering I didn't end up buying the E1000 and I'm happy that I bought the Tanya, my personal preference is probably for the Tanya. Where I live the Tanya can be found at like 2/3 the price of the E1000 too. That said, YMMV depending on your preference of course. Since you are already using the E1000, using the graph comparison too might be able to give you an idea of what to expect in terms of tuning at least and whether it'll suit your taste. In terms of soundstage and imaging, based on my fuzzy memory, I remember the E1000 as being not quite as good? but hopefully someone who has both of these can help answer your question more definitively. :joy:

Well explained, i've been using E1000 almost 2 years as daily beater. Not the best, but still quite pleasant it has smooth non fatiguing sound but sadly the left driver get broken. Maybe it's time for me to try another entry level poison 😁. So, when Tanchjim release Tanya i'm kind tempted to try it. Hope Tanya can be my best choice. No local retailer here who display demo unit, so i bought these via online market.

Jun 1, 2021 at 12:53 AM Post #1,135 of 1,521
Well explained, i've been using E1000 almost 2 years as daily beater. Not the best, but still quite pleasant it has smooth non fatiguing sound but sadly the left driver get broken. Maybe it's time for me to try another entry level poison 😁. So, when Tanchjim release Tanya i'm kind tempted to try it. Hope Tanya can be my best choice. No local retailer here who display demo unit, so i bought these via online market.
I know a lot of folks really like the E1000 and E500 from Final too. I would say the Tanya for me is still smooth and non-fatiguing as well, but still has enough upper mids for my taste which is important for me since I listen to a ton of brighter female vocals. It works really well at higher volumes too if you want a more engaging listen. Also by changing tips might be able to move it to the direction that you want too. At that price, I think it's worth a shot, especially if you like bullet style IEMs like I do. 😁 Hope they'll be a good fit for you too!!! :thumbsup:

Jun 1, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #1,136 of 1,521
Is there anything i can do to mod oxygen lower mids? I find it a bit too lean from being engaging. Does ohm adapter can alter any freq response here?

Jun 1, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #1,138 of 1,521
Is there anything i can do to mod oxygen lower mids? I find it a bit too lean from being engaging. Does ohm adapter can alter any freq response here?

You can try stacking up a spare filter on the top of the current filter. It'll reduce the upper-mids, which might increase your perception of the lower-mids body. I've tested a 75 Ohm adapter that came from my ER4PT and it only will give you a better volume control if your source is too powerful, I didn't notice any change in tuning.

Jun 1, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #1,139 of 1,521
I find modding to bring out the lower Mids quite challenging, but maybe you can play around with taping the vents then EQ (a low shelf cut) to bring bass level down. Stacking filters are not recommended on the O2 as resolution may take a hit.

E066C1BF-8F9D-4FE2-A2B0-8DD06FDD486D.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #1,140 of 1,521
I find modding to bring out the lower Mids quite challenging, but maybe you can play around with taping the vents then EQ (a low shelf cut) to bring bass level down. Stacking filters are not recommended on the O2 as resolution may take a hit.

E066C1BF-8F9D-4FE2-A2B0-8DD06FDD486D.jpeg
That's what i realized. Putting foams etc will effect the resolution. From the above average DD performer to just a decent one. Literally not worth. I will try taping vents. Which vents though? o2 has two vents. (also, i dont prefer eq since i dont have any excellent equalizer other than making weird compressions)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back