Taming the bass on Sennheiser Urbanite & XL
Aug 26, 2016 at 10:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

MRK1

100+ Head-Fier
The Urbanite XL are very bassy headphones but they sound pretty veiled. Other than that they look very good and are super sturdy. I've had them for 3 days.

Unfortunately the bass is kinda bloated in my opinion and cover the other frequencies a bit. I took them apart (remove the foams, and then all you have to do is unscrew 2 reugular philips screws) and noticed they have 2 small holes on the back of the drivers, which I think acts as a bass port of some kind to use the back of the earcup as a resonance chamber or something. I covered both holes on each earpiece with simple paper tape and listened to some trance and jpop and man there was a massive difference in clarity and forwardness of the vocals! Unfortunately doing so kills the bass completely, so I took them apart again and covered only one hole, and I'm pretty sure doing so tames the bass a bit and while keeping the bassy sound they're not as veiled and dark as before.

Anyone with a pair of Urbanites XL willing to try this simple mod and tell me if it does make a difference or if it's just placebo?

I need to go back and fort a bit but I'm pretty sure the sound has improved quite a bit. Could also be burn-in as I used them a lot and left them to burn 10 hours straight before going back to them, giving them a quick listen (didn't notice difference from my previous impression) and then deciding to take them apart to check if there was some way to mod them.

I have the XL but the same "bass port" (the small rectangle, which actually hides two small holes)is present on the regular Urbanite, as you can see from this photo from InnerFidelity:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back