Talking Heads - wow
Nov 5, 2005 at 5:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

AdamWill

Headphoneus Supremus
So I was feeling like spending a large chunk of money today and figured I'd buy the new Talking Heads box set, but was thwarted due to apparently no retailer in Vancouver having it in stock (or in fact having heard of it at all). So I settled for spending a small chunk of money and bought The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads instead. Why the hell did I not own this before? And who gave an album recorded live in the late '70s / early '80s the right to sound so insanely good?!

Now if only someone can tell me somewhere in Vancouver I can buy the brick...

(I already tried Zulu. They never heard of it.)

Nov 5, 2005 at 5:47 AM Post #2 of 34
also the live album "Stop Making Sense" has no business sounding as good as it does - my ancient CD kicks the butt of many a modern "hot" album.

Nov 5, 2005 at 5:54 AM Post #3 of 34
"Stop Making Sense" is also a fabulous concert movie.

All of my talking heads recordings sound amazingly, abnormally good considering the times it was made in. The music isn't half bad either
biggrin.gif

Check out Remain in Light, Little Creatures, and 77.

Nov 5, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #4 of 34
Listening to "Psycho Killer" right now from Stop Making Sense, and that 12-string acoustic guitar sounds amazingly correct!

Nov 5, 2005 at 6:11 AM Post #5 of 34
They had Stop Making Sense too, I picked The Name Of This Band... on the basis that I like the title more, it has more stuff, and it cost more. Of course, now I realise the True Head-Fi Way would have been to buy both, and then buy everything else in the store. I apologise for my failings.
smily_headphones1.gif

edit - aman, I'm not going to bother buying single albums, I'm just going to track down somewhere I can buy the brick (a box set of all the albums as dualdisks, both sides remastered, with added material, been getting great reviews). But thanks for the recommendations
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2005 at 6:41 AM Post #8 of 34
mightyacorn: Alas, no visa card. (Long story). It might come to that, though, I'll have to mail 'em a cheque. Never done THAT with Amazon before. But I usually like buying my music in person.

Nov 5, 2005 at 6:49 AM Post #9 of 34
I recently got into the Talking Heads, (I have the Best-Of CD from 2004) and it's amazing.. it's been a while since I've heard a CD with tracks I liked from beginning to end.

I am interested in buying this boxset.. $170 CAD is a bit steep, but it should be worth it. I just want to double check, is there stereo DVD-A on this, and can I rip it to my computer with my DVD burner?

Thanks!

Nov 5, 2005 at 6:50 AM Post #10 of 34
What other classic rock bands would you say Talking Heads is similar to?

Nov 5, 2005 at 6:53 AM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurt_fire
What other classic rock bands would you say Talking Heads is similar to?

I've been a really big rock guy, but I've been trying to expand my genres. I never thought that I would like this music, not by a longshot. But I urge you to buy one of their CDs (or the Best-Of I'm listening to right now), it is very very good! This is a real surprise, I am loving every aspect of this! The addictive melodies, the lyrics, and the fantastic ways the lyrics are being presented (Bryne is amazing!)!

To answer your question, I don't think there are many classic rock bands as quirky as this.. but that is a good thing!

Nov 5, 2005 at 6:54 AM Post #12 of 34
Yeah I'm a huge classic rock fan. I've got hundreds of albums/bootlegs from the 60s/70s. I'm going to buy their first album (Talking Heads: 77) tomorrow and check them out. I usually prefer most band's debut albums over all their others for some reason.

Nov 5, 2005 at 7:00 AM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime
Yes there is stereo DVD-A. Don't know about ripping DVD-A but it should be possible if you have the tools and can rip other DVD-A's.

Hi!

Do you happen to have done DVD-A Stereo vs. CD sound comparisions? Does it sound significantly better, or is it subtle?

Thanks very much!
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif

Nov 5, 2005 at 7:00 AM Post #15 of 34
You normally can't rip DVD-A digitally (i.e. losslessly, without going through the analog hole) because it has a copy-protection scheme which has not yet been broken. You're stuck either trying to get a good quality analog rip, which is a bit unlikely without _seriously_ expensive equipment, or ripping the standard CD audio. However, I seem to recall someone saying the Heads brick is unprotected, which might mean it could be ripped somehow...I don't know for sure, just guessing.

kurt: well I'm a newbie listening to them (well, I've had Psycho Killer on the Old Grey Whistle Test DVD for quite a while, but apart from that), but I've read quite a bit in the past, and they're generally considered notorious for not sounding much like _anything_ else at all. You'll just have to listen and see what you think, I guess.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back