"Talk to the hand"
Mar 13, 2004 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

marios_mar

Headphoneus Supremus
I saw this expression in T3. I sort of understood what it meant, but can some American guy explain to me where this expression is used and an example of a short dialog containing it?

(I am not American that's why I ask)

Mar 13, 2004 at 11:08 PM Post #2 of 32
It's a shortened version of "talk to the hand because the face doesn't want to hear it". Basically a statement of dismissal.

Usage:

Annoying person: Blah blah blah blah
You: Talk to the hand!
Annoying Person: Oh no you di'int!

It rarely works and is more annoying than a good old "****".

Mar 13, 2004 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 32
Sure. My wife uses it with me all the time. When I am talking about something that she does not want to hear she holds up her hand like a cop stopping traffic and says "Talk to the hand".

A polite way of telling me my time is up and I should stop talking.

Mar 13, 2004 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 32
so to say the expression you just have to hold your hand up too?

Do you hold it up like Arnold did or like holding the palm vertically.

Interesting
tongue.gif

Mar 14, 2004 at 12:20 AM Post #6 of 32
HAHAHAHA, sorry i find funny how some diffrent culture dont understand some of americas stupid stuff. Oh and i agree the best is the, ****, works a lot better than the hand, because the hand will just make the person laugh and keep talking.

Mar 14, 2004 at 12:25 AM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by marios_mar
so to say the expression you just have to hold your hand up too?

Do you hold it up like Arnold did or like holding the palm vertically.

Interesting
tongue.gif

yes you hold up the hand while saying it. basicly hold it vertically in front of their face. fingers closed together preferably. usually when a person do that, they suppose to stop acknowledging you. yes we americans have so much annoying crap.

Mar 14, 2004 at 12:29 AM Post #8 of 32
Variation/Spoof:

(stick out elbow)
Talk to the elbow because you're not worth the extention.

Best done with a pseudo-preppy teeny bopper voice
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2004 at 1:17 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
Sure. My wife uses it with me all the time. When I am talking about something that she does not want to hear she holds up her hand like a cop stopping traffic and says "Talk to the hand".

A polite way of telling me my time is up and I should stop talking.

Polite??? IMO a wife should be a little bit more respectful....but YMMV....LOL...IMO, use a lash once in a while....
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 14, 2004 at 1:29 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
Polite??? IMO a wife should be a little bit more respectful....but YMMV....LOL...IMO, use a lash once in a while....
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

I guess after nearly 33 years of marriage we take a few liberties and know what is important and what is not. It is in almost all occasions done in good humor like when I am telling her all the reasons I need a new pair of speakers or a turntable.

Mar 14, 2004 at 1:37 AM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
I guess after nearly 33 years of marriage we take a few liberties and know what is important and what is not. It is in almost all occasions done in good humor like when I am telling her all the reasons I need a new pair of speakers or a turntable.

That was a joke, man......You know, you could do the same when she begin to talk about shoes....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2004 at 2:24 AM Post #12 of 32
Talk to the hand is actually quite a bit more polite than some of the alternatives:

(1) Saying la-la-la-la-la-la... when someone tries to talk; or
(2) The infamous kiss my behind (or one can use another term here.)

Mar 14, 2004 at 2:55 AM Post #14 of 32
ahh... the high five. am i right in thinking that's another american thing? maybe marios_mar doesn't know what that is either...
wink.gif

for a second there i was wondering what **** was... i've never seen the expression abbreviated.

once a friend of mine used another variation of "Talk to the hand." i was complaining to her about something and she gave me the middle finger and said "Talk to the finger cos not even the hand is listening." heh.

"Talk to the hand" is not something one would use to a stranger. it actually isn't very polite to someone you've never met. with friends though, it's a whole different story, almost comical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back