Talk some sense into me? HFI-780's
Dec 3, 2009 at 5:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

CC Lemon

100+ Head-Fier
I'm almost definitely going to be getting ultrasone's PRO 650 for christmas, and possibly a total bithead amp. If I dont get the amp as a present, I'll just end up buying it for myself anyways.

Now for my dilemma. I've found a deal on HFI-780's that I can afford. Now, it's not money I should be spending, but it's not money I'll really regret spending either. I absolutely love the way the 780's look and from what I've read, I think I'd be fairly impressed with the sound as well. My question is, assuming I will have pro 650's in my possession within a few weeks, would it be worth getting the 780's? While logic seems to dictate that I should just wait for christmas, I'm still very tempted to buy them, especially at the price.

Dec 3, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #2 of 14
I'm still leaning towards buying them. I'm probably going to decide by the end of the day. Anyone have any votes in support of buying or against buying them? Too similar? Different enough?

Dec 3, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #3 of 14
I say to go for 780. Since they are actually replacing 650's. But how much price difference are you tlaking about? If it is less than $100, go for 780, otherwise go for 650. I saw their retail price difference is $30, which is not much and worth to spend for 780's

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 14
definitely go for them, I'm very happy with mine.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #5 of 14
Well, I'll be getting the 650's as a gift most likely. But if the 780's are supposed to be replacements for the 650, then I might not want to go for these. The problem is that the 650's might have already been ordered. I'd prefer not asking for something different, especially if they've already ordered it, but I might end up doing that. So are the 780's truly a better phone? Or a different phone? I'd find it odd if they replaced something from their pro line with something from the HFI. If they're too similar, then I might end up asking to change the gift to an open phone.

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #6 of 14
I had 750 and did not like them, I sent them back for refund ... I have heard good things about 780 - they are different and probably better phones ...

Hope it helps ...

Dec 3, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #7 of 14
I had heard that the 750's had some issues, especially with the bass I believe it was, but from what I've heard, the 780 has definitely improved. I'm probably going to end up going with these and asking for a good open phone in a similar price range to the 650. I've been wanting to give grados a try... that seems like it would give me a good starting variety.

On a slightly off topic note that probably no one cares about... I have a terrible habit of getting into expensive hobbies, and I'm barely even getting into the expensive side of this one.

Dec 3, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #9 of 14
Definitely will do. Most of my experience is with a couple of sennheiser phones I've owned, but something about the ultrasones really appeals to me, even though I haven't actually listened to any. If the 650's have already been ordered, then I'll be holding off on these probably. I think I'd feel better having something with a bit more of a difference in sound. That said, if I really like the way my 650's sound, I'll probably end up wishing I had bought the 780's lol.

I'm hoping the 650 hasn't been ordered yet... if they haven't, then I'll ask for SR225i instead and pick up these 780's myself.

Dec 4, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #11 of 14
Great. I hope you'll enjoy your 780s as much as I enjoy mine.
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #12 of 14
If you figure you can sell them at similar price or not loose to much it will save some bad sleep getting both surely... My advice is ditch both and go for the Pro 900
wink.gif

As for 750 is it the pro 750 you referr to. It has no problems with bass as long as you give them enough juice that´s for sure
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by CC Lemon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I managed to get everything sorted out. I ordered the 780's from headroom yesterday. Got them for $140. I'll do my best to get a review of them up soon.

whoa! how did you get them for so cheap? Headroom is showing 249 USD for me
frown.gif

Dec 4, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by henryhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
whoa! how did you get them for so cheap? Headroom is showing 249 USD for me
frown.gif

It was in their B-stock section. Supposed to be just like new... no damage or anything and includes everything brand new as it's regularly packaged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back