Talk me out of the MDR-Z1R's
May 2, 2020 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Jumpwired

New Head-Fier
Looking to upgrade my THX-00 PurpleHearts. Enjoy the sub bass tremendously.
I'm currently running a THX789 with a Pro-Ject S2 Digital with a LPS connected to a Schiit Loki.

Listening Preferences:
-Hip-Hop
-Dance/Electronic
-Alternative
-Pop

Have been eyeing a used pair of Sony's MDR-Z1R's. Something one step closer to some TOTL cans.

Finding allot of conflicting opinions. They are commonly being described as 'veiled' and 'overpriced'.
Some people recommend ZMF's Eikons or Atticus or TH900 MK2's.

What should I do?

May 2, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #2 of 9
Unfortunately I’ve never heard any of the headphones you’re considering, so I can’t help there. However...as long as you’ve done some research, go with your gut and wallet. There is conflicting stuff about every headphone out there!

May 2, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #3 of 9
I've owned them in past & regret selling them. For your listening preferences, they are super sweet. Smooth with just enough low end response. The th900 mk2 will sound like you are in a night club after 30 minutes. The one caveat with the Z1R is the damn price. Ultimately, if buying a new pair, I do think they are about $1k too much. Try and grab a used pair. My 2 cents.

May 2, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #4 of 9
I've owned them in past & regret selling them. For your listening preferences, they are super sweet. Smooth with just enough low end response. The th900 mk2 will sound like you are in a night club after 30 minutes. The one caveat with the Z1R is the damn price. Ultimately, if buying a new pair, I do think they are about $1k too much. Try and grab a used pair. My 2 cents.

The younger me would have loved the TH900's. Night club on your skull might be good for a little at a time. But I'm looking for a daily driver. Appreciate it, greatly.

May 2, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 9
They're not quite as good as the HD800S in everything except isolation, bass extension and slam which they do better. They are fairly close however and if you need the isolation they are better. They do have a peak in the treble response that can make some things sound a little weird. The Eikon sounds very similar and doesn't have any annoying peaks, but bass extension is a little less. It's a toss up between the two as to which is the better headphone. I consider the headphones I mentioned as all TOTL.

May 2, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #6 of 9
They're not quite as good as the HD800S in everything except isolation, bass extension and slam which they do better. They are fairly close however and if you need the isolation they are better. They do have a peak in the treble response that can make some things sound a little weird. The Eikon sounds very similar and doesn't have any annoying peaks, but bass extension is a little less. It's a toss up between the two as to which is the better headphone. I consider the headphones I mentioned as all TOTL.

There is a place in my heart for the Sennheiser's. Some of my first good pairs of headphones. My issue is only with their bass, like you mentioned the lack of extension and slam. Maybe should go for the IER Z1R's. I know its a IEM, but it seems to have the best balance out of the Sony lineup. Always considered the ZMF's, but no one really sold me on them.

Very appreciative of you guys sharing your experiences.

May 2, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #7 of 9
There is a place in my heart for the Sennheiser's. Some of my first good pairs of headphones. My issue is only with their bass, like you mentioned the lack of extension and slam. Maybe should go for the IER Z1R's. I know its a IEM, but it seems to have the best balance out of the Sony lineup. Always considered the ZMF's, but no one really sold me on them.

Very appreciative of you guys sharing your experiences.
I have yet to hear the IER Z1R’s and lots of good things have been said about them. For the MDR Z1R’s I’m just not a fan of them and it is mostly the highs they I just find them to be kind of grainy like and no they aren’t grainy just don’t know what else to call them from what I think is just the very great highs ( for me that is ) from the Ether-C’s I just love the sparkle and no hint of being sibilant t all. Don’t get me wrong I think they are a fine headphone and it would be nice if we had a Headphone Blender where we could though in a pair of Z1R’s,Ether-C’s and another closed back I do like for its detail ,soundstage , comfort and easiest to drive the K872 I would buy it.

May 2, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #8 of 9
I didn't find them to sound accurate tonally, but typical FR adjustment was made since it's closed. It doesn't have well represented upper-mids and highs seems some tones are missing. This results in lack of definition of sounds. Sound stage however is the best thing going for it in addition to unique type of bass that doesn't have strong presence, but does seem to sound large.

If we are paying for such price level, I expect at minimum the spectrum output to be well represented tonally. And there should be more beyond just the tonality as well if it's to be considered TOTL.

Sony has not jived with me with their tunings. They all have a bit of offness about their sound from an accuracy stand-point. I wouldn't be this nit picky if the pricing was reasonable of course.

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #9 of 9
Z1R are the most comfy headphones I’ve used. Really light- amazing addicting bas and good detail but some people don’t like some aspects of the treble that may sound unnatural with some spikes but is not like they are treble masters. they on the warm side. Now the 900s have amazing bass but those are really treble monsters LOL.
The EIKON and Atticus are good choices too and probably will suit you music preferences but they are heavy. If you can handle them they are probably good choices. Another solid option would be the Audeze LCD-2C that also have good bass and have a more forgiving top end. just my two cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back