Talk me out of / into something crazy
Oct 15, 2008 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jrosenth

Headphoneus Supremus
This isn't exclusively headphone related but it seems to go here as well as anyplace else.

Right now I have a vintage RS-2 powered by a Pico. Most of the time I'm listening to WAV files on a laptop. Occasionally I use the dac on the Pico as a source for a little Tivoli desktop radio as a source for my office.

I love the system for it's portability, or more specifically for its transportability. The vintage RS-2 has a sound that's right, and in some ways I prefer it to an RS-1 or at least certainly understand those who do prefer it to an RS-1. The Pico, obviously, is a fantastic sounding portable amp and dac with a dac section that comes close to many of the better home dacs I've heard. It's also simply plug into the Tivoli.

Life is good. So what's the problem? I kind of have a habit of moving away from good things, sometime regretting it later, sometimes not.

So here's what I have in my head. Selling the RS-2 and Pico and getting a vintage RS-1 and an RA-1 amp. (Before everyone pours on that the RA-1 isn't a good amp, etc. I've heard it and agree that while it can't technically match amps like my old maxxed PPA, it does have a special magic with the grado rs-1 and I enjoyed it immensely.)

I'd like to try and buy the RS-1 and RA-1 used so I could probably not be out any money on the deal, but then I'd need a dac so I'd probably have to put up some extra money for something like a Scott Nixon. I'm trying to work within a headphone budget (putting more money towards music), so to do that I might have to sell off my other headphone, which I love but don't really listen to anymore (RAL recabled Beyer DT 48E - which would be a nightmare to find and replace).

So here's the million dollar question. Should I try and switch systems, going through the hassle of selling the RS-2 and Pico and maybe Beyer DT 48 and trying to buy a used RS-1 and RA-1, or should I stay still and be happy with the current system that gives admitted great sound and has better functionality / transportability?

I've been batting this around for a while and can't seem to come to a decision.

Why is this crazy? because I'm happy with my current system but am strangely drawn to the other combo.

Any head-fi help would be much, much appreciated.
beerchug.gif

Oct 15, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #3 of 7
Oct 15, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep your Pico and RS2 and start saving on the RS1?
biggrin.gif

That, my friend, is a classic head-fi answer
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, it's definitely an option. There's just something about the RS-1, RA-1 combo that I really liked. Maybe it's more psychological / aesthetic than anything else.

If I keep the Pico, I'll keep the rs-2 as a totally transportable rig (i use it with a mini dell spinning from a hard-drive) - maybe have the RS-2 recabled ro shorten the cable too.

If I go with the RS-1/RA-1 it would be more of a transportable unit used mostly with the big laptop and I'd loose the flexibility of simply plugging a mini cable into the Tivoli and I'd have to carry some sort of dac around, and it would be a pain to try and buy and sell all the stuff and I'd probably have to sell my lovely Beyers to finance the dac in that system.

I should probably keep the RS-2/Pico (they do have a marked synergy) but something about the RS-1/RA-1 keeps calling me. Help me get it out of my head!

Quote:

Originally Posted by HippieTom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or buy this maby HIGH PERFORMANCE PORTABLE MUSIC SYSTEM - Portable Audio - LASONiC ELECTRONIC CORP .sorry. just found it and it made me laugh so i posted it
jecklinsmile.gif

That's pretty funny.

Oct 15, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #6 of 7
Stick with the RS1 / Pico until you can afford a "real" headphone.
wink.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #7 of 7
So what did you end up doing?

I have a vested interest. I recently obtained an RS1 in order to do an extended comparison to my RS2 and sell the one I liked less, which would of course become obvious over time. This is despite being quite happy w/ the RS2. It's only been a few days, but so far, I have actually fallen for both of them for different reasons. Yikes!

What I lack is a good transportable/portable amp/USB DAC, so I'm interested in what you ended up doing?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back