Talk me out of getting the E-MU 1616M laptop card...
May 11, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #16 of 39
i knew how the 1616m compared to the digidesign 192io, i havent heard a 1212m as of yet, but having the same dac plus amplification is just a small step up i guess. maybe in a while ill swap my 1616m pci for your 1212m :] this way i could get my own amplification devices without having to worry about it being redundant, actually that doesnt really work out, i got a pci HD core card on ebay a few months back for like $800. im just trying to get to the point where i can afford a 192io.

May 12, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #18 of 39
No one knows?
tongue.gif

May 13, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #19 of 39
I don't know, but I doubt it. You can't with the 1820M as it's powered by the computer. The old 1616Ms had external power but I'm still not sure if they would work without the laptop. Don't have a clue about the new ones. So there, wasn't that helpful?
rolleyes.gif

May 13, 2007 at 8:53 AM Post #20 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick question / clarification about the 1616M... Is it possible to use the MicroDock like an external DAC without having the computer on?

For some reason I have not tried this yet but will make sure to do so tomorrow. I'll update you guys.

May 13, 2007 at 11:57 AM Post #21 of 39
In response to "Talk me out of getting the E-MU..." I'd say look at the Echo Indigo for a lower cost alternative if you don't need 16 inputs and the outboard box. The Indigo headphone out sounds great and dead silent.

May 13, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #22 of 39
maybe you should try a indigo pcmcia sound card. they have great dac built in amp for headphone listening.

May 15, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #25 of 39
Quote:

So isamu, what happened with the test?
biggrin.gif

well unfortunately the dock doesn't have a 1/4" or 1/8" mini plug line-in jack, so I cannot hook my iMod up to it. Seems the *ONLY* input is midi, which sucks.

I will say this however....I conducted an A/B test this morning between the iMod and Microdock running Patchmix and Foobar. Both were connected to the different AUX IN jacks on the back of my receiver. Imod's running a Monster Cable 1/8th mini to RCA cable the E-MU's running a "Signal Cable" cable.

Without tweaking anything on the PC software side, I can say I heard virtually NO difference in sound quality whatsoever! I was shocked by how close the iMod compared to the EMU microdock's line-out.

Once I enabled DFX and a 3-parameter EQ however, things changed dramatically. That is why I always say God-bless PC audio software
biggrin.gif
The things it can do to enhance your listening experience is astounding! DFX is one piece of software I have been using for years with Winamp and thanks to the WinAmp Wrapper I can use it with Foobar. It's an app I will always use for my music. The Fidelity and Ambient slider bars alone are worth it. Gives the highs that extra "tingle"
smily_headphones1.gif

Not too happy with the Rockbox on the iMod. It's buggy as ****! After so many hours the sound balance goes outta wack and only outputs sound from the left channel. Weird. Freezes quite often too. I hope they get this more stable and squared away.

May 15, 2007 at 7:03 AM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by isamu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well unfortunately the dock doesn't have a 1/4" or 1/8" mini plug line-in jack, so I cannot hook my iMod up to it. Seems the *ONLY* input is midi, which sucks.

It has a bunch of 1/4" inputs... You could use a 1/8" to two 1/4" TS Y-adapter like this one. I'm using that cable to connect my computer speakers to the 1212M's outputs.

I was more interested in whether or not the DAC functioned without PC input, but if the amp works, that's a good sign (and at least handy). If you have one of those 1/8" to 1/4" plugs, try plugging it into one of the 1/4" inputs. Even though you'll only get one channel, it'll at least show that the amp works or doesn't.

May 18, 2007 at 11:15 AM Post #29 of 39
Quote:

Surely someone must know... Can the 1616M PCI function like an external DAC and amplifier without being hooked up to a computer?

I apologize you're right, the MicroDock DOES have a few line ins on the back. I don't think I own a 1/8th to 1/4th cable but I'll look around for one on Monday and if I find it I'll conduct the test to see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back