Talk me out of buying a pair of Grado RS-1's
Dec 4, 2005 at 7:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

Bleeding Spark

100+ Head-Fier
I've been thinking about this for a while, and I'm almost ready to dip back into my wallet and get a pair of Grado RS-1's.

I'm not ready to part with my Beyerdynamic DT 880's, but I find myself listening to my Grado SR 80's even more than the Beyers. Sometime after the holidays I'm planning on upgrading my home headphone rig. New SACD player, headphone amp, and a pair of Grado RS-1's.

Now is your chance to save me 700 bucks, talk me out of buying the
RS-1'S, my wallet thanks you in advance.

Dec 4, 2005 at 7:51 AM Post #2 of 64
you're going to hate me but i'm going to say go ahead and get them. they're just amazing cans. the difference between these and the lower cans such as sr225 and hf1 is immediate when you put them on. like you, i was on the fence about getting them also but i don't regret my decision at all. the comfort is also one of the factors that make them the best grado available.

Dec 4, 2005 at 7:55 AM Post #3 of 64
Talk you out of a fine purchase? Are you kidding me? That just ain't the Head-Fi way.
rs1smile.gif

But I am wondering why you're making the jump from the bottom all the way to the top. No interest in the SR225 or SR325i? Considering that your profile lists the Total Bithead as your sole headamp, any consideration for splitting up the $700 between an amp and headphone?

Dec 4, 2005 at 8:08 AM Post #5 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
Talk you out of a fine purchase? Are you kidding me? That just ain't the Head-Fi way.
rs1smile.gif

But I am wondering why you're making the jump from the bottom all the way to the top. No interest in the SR225 or SR325i? Considering that your profile lists the Total Bithead as your sole headamp, any consideration for splitting up the $700 between an amp and headphone?

I've thought about getting an SR225, or even an HF-1. But I know I'd just upgrade down the road. I love my SR 80's, I've had them for years (even before I discovered Head Fi). I would love to audition a pair of HF-1's, but what are the chances of someone on Oahu owning a pair? (and willing to bring them to a meet).

Head-Fi has already enticed me to buy a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 880's. I haven't gotten much enjoyment out of them, my Total Bithead amp doesn't have the power to drive those inefficient cans. Ideally my new amp would suit the RS-1's and the DT 880's.

I've already decided to buy the RS-1's after the holiday, now I need a good reason not to.
orphsmile.gif

See, I'm already using the smiley. I think my wallet's in more trouble.....

Dec 4, 2005 at 8:09 AM Post #6 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1967cutlass
you could buy pretty awesome speakers for that much money

Not when you live in a one bedroom apartment in Waikiki.....

Dec 4, 2005 at 10:21 AM Post #11 of 64
Hi,

Well here are some reasons to save you a fortune....

The RS-1 is ugly compared to it's competitors

The RS-1 is not really fitting to your ears

You are always looking for new pads

The cans are producing Rattle some time

Tey are awfully expensive........

AND MOST IMPORTANT

All of those are rubbish so far....

Having my RS-1 for almost three years now I can tell you that you money is well spent if you buy one.

The sound is astonishing richt very detailled and the soundstage is simply graet. And most interesting, The cans can grow with an amp. The sound fine directly from the source, they sound better with a good amp and extremely well with a good one.

The look is a bit retro but I like it and the wood used looks great.

So if you made up your mind for fine music, you really should go for it.

Dec 4, 2005 at 10:28 AM Post #13 of 64
Done buy them man!

Get PS-1 instead
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 4, 2005 at 10:29 AM Post #14 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by nmculbreth
Why not buy a used RS-1? If you did that you could save money and have great sounding headphones.
rs1smile.gif

I've seen them go for as little as $435 used recently.

But then, you see, I'd still be buying a pair of RS-1's. If I'm going to spend 400 dollars on a used pair, I can certainly convince myself to fork out a little extra for a new pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back