Talk me out of ADDIEMs
Jan 14, 2012 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

benv

New Head-Fier

I'm thinking about buying a pair of Apple dual-driver IEMs at full price. I'm interesting in trying out IEMs, but I'm concerned that I won't like them. (Currently, I use Grado SR-80 headphones at home and Koss Porta-Pro headphones around.) I feel like the addiems would be a realatively low cost way to try out IEMs. Also, the built-in mic and remote are essential for me. (I use iBuds for long phone conversations and listenting to podcasts. It would be nice to replace those with a pair of IEMs that were also suitable for listening to music.) So, tell me why I shouldn't buy them. What should I consider instead (IEMs with remote, mic) that's not much more expensive?
For sound quality preferences, I'm not a bass-head. I'm interested in accuracy for music and vocal intelligibility for podcasts.
Thanks

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 7
Because you can get the Etymotic HF3 for around $100. It will sound better and isolate better, and it will still give you the 3-button remote and mic.

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 7
Having used ADDIEM, Etymotics HF3 and NuForce NE7-M (or something like that), I have to say that the microphone on the ADDIEM is hands down the best I've used. The sound quality is very decent and you can take it to the Apple Store when it stops working and get it swapped out for a brand new one, thanks to Apple's stellar one year warranty.

I love my Etymotic HF3 for their isolation and sound but the microphone on it isn't as good as the one on the ADDIEM.

Hope this helps.

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #4 of 7
Where can I get HF3 around $100? The seem to be around $120-130: http://www.google.com/search?q=etymotic+hf3&tbm=shop&hl=en&aq=0&oq=etymotic

Is the HF3 going to be a big pain to insert in my ear? I feel like the ADDIEMs might be less of hassle to get in my ears.

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #5 of 7
Looks like the prices have gone up a bit, but there's some in the FS forum for $100 in like-new condition. They're not that much of a pain once you get used to them, and they work with a variety of tips (including Complys and Shure olives).

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #6 of 7
Etymotics will technically be a lot better than ADDIEMs...  However, when I first started my IEM collection, I kept going back to the ADDIEMs...  Even preferring them over the Etymotics, B2s, and even RE0s.  The main reason was the bass body that they had while not sacrificing details.  I did lose out a little on the high end, but was fine with it.  Of course today I don't use them, but do still recommend them because of their versitility.  With a proper seal, the ADDIEMs can really push out any genre pretty decently since the bass body it makes the bass sound larger than it actually is and creates a nice presence for rap and hip hop. 

The only thing I didn't like about the ADDIEMs were the tips...  They came off way too easily and I found them getting stuck in my ear too often.  This won't be a problem if you choose a set of tips that works (if you're using stock tips) and don't change them.  Constantly taking them on and off to test other tips causes this problem to happen.  Of course, if you go to the Apple Store, they will replace tips for you if you ask nicely.

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #7 of 7
Sounds like Etymotic IEMs would fit the bill nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back