Talk me in (or out) of Grad School
Jan 31, 2006 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

mjg

Headphoneus Supremus
It's time for me to make a decision, though a late one... An opportunity rose for me to possibly take a scholarship of around 22K a year and be guarunteed a job in the field i Want upon Graduation. This is a security position for the government.

Here's the deal: I'm currently set up to walk (graduate) this May. My requirements have been compelted, and i'm taking additional classes to boost my GPA as well. My research project seems to have impressed my advisor so much that he basiclly has the power to approve me for this special program.

The problem is: This could have been a 5 year program (though it is too late now). The difference for me would be that I'd need to take GRE's and be accepted into the Graduate department. The requirements seem to be pretty strict, so far I'm told I'd need >700 on math section. The math is actually pretty easy, but assesments in general aren't my strongest ability.

Basiclly, if i wing my way into the Grad Program I get the scholarship. Afterwards Id' be a masters in Computer Science.

Here is how it gets complicated. I'm 25 years old going on 26 this summer. i've been out of the job market for awhile and haven't been looking. I have nothing lined up and now would be the time I A)Begin looking for jobs/internships or B) Start preparing for a GRE and assuring my GPA improves better then the 2.89 it's been dwlindling around. This can be done, say if i got a 4.0 this semester. I do want to be finished, and am pretty winded by school, yet this might be my best (and only shot) at moving to the next step in my education.

So there it is. I need to make a decision with a few weeks about the GRE stuff, it's too late for me not to walk and take a 5 year program, its' try my luck with the GRE and bust my chops for a slim chance at gettign into this Grad Program, or just move on with my life. The program is very unique and ti seems there it seems the professor was actually so enthusiastic about me doing this... It also seems I'd have more intersting jobs as a result.

Anyways, I cannot make my mind up. I beleive my pops will continue supporting me if I make this choice, yet I'm just still not sure. Also, from what I understand this grad programs means buisness, these classes are all very, very challenging. I know if I set my mind to it I can do anything, yet I need to
analyze the situation and make sure this what I really want... I can easily see myself hating my situation if it isn't meant to be and I'm stuck. There is no way out of the government job btw, and the pay really sucks I hear as well. I need to stick with them for 2 years.

Feel free to comment negatives, positives, or meaningless. I would like to hear more from grad students in Engineering type disciplines who have faced a similar situation if possible.

Thanks.

Jan 31, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 25
Do C. All of the above.

Look for a job, and prepare for GRE and grad school. You should be able to do grad school and work at the same time (I personally found grad school easier than undergrad studies for various reasons even though more mentally 'demanding'). I've never heard of a grad program that is so demanding needing full-time studies such that at the end you are guaranteed to be locked in a low paying job for 2 years. That doesn't sound so hot to me.

Jan 31, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim D
Do C. All of the above.

Look for a job, and prepare for GRE and grad school. You should be able to do grad school and work at the same time. I've never heard of a grad program that is so demanding needing full-time studies such that at the end you are guaranteed to be locked in a low paying job for 2 years. That doesn't sound so hot to me.

I'm being confusing. It's the scholarship that demands i work for the government... The ideal position (if your really up in the ranks) is landing a position at the NSA. It's the one condition i guess... Usually they take people into this 5 year masters/bs program then they pay for it, but mine would be a normal masters program with the 44 grand from the government.

My situation is i don't want to be stuck in something as boring (no offense) as a mindless web development position, or anything else that isnt mobile. Security is alot more interesting. This is an Information Assurance Specialization, i'm doing the undergrad version now, but this would just expand on it as I took more advanced Security courses.

It seems they are very interested in me due to alot of people in general not going for the scholarship. If i made it into the grad school, it would be a power play on my part, because I have a "very high chance" of getting the scholarship... This is such a catch 22.

Jan 31, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #4 of 25
So with the scholarship you work for the gov. for cheap *during* your studies? If it is during thats not so bad...if it means after than thats pretty crappy.

Jan 31, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

So with the scholarship you work for the gov. for cheap *during* your studies? If it is during thats not so bad...if it means after than thats pretty crappy.

Nah, no job until after Graduation for the govt. Yet I suppose I could have some sort of job during studying, but my options are kind of limited (or maybe not?) since the commitment would have to be on a 2 year condition (more or less) while i do my grad work.

I think the salaries are liek around 35-40 grand. This is alot lower then I made in IT, and no offense to people, but not a whole lot to my standards. My expectations are goign to be alot higher without these constraints. Typically graduates are makign 55 (give or take a bit)

I could live off of it, but I won't be rolling in bling either (so to speak).

Jan 31, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 25
So basically the scholarship is taking a 2 year job after graduation that pays around 40k + 22k untaxed? (this being your scholarship money). Is this job and 2 year commitment something that greatly facilitates your transition to your ideal job, or a possible hinderance? Is it impossible to jump to your ideal job after your masters if you didn't have the scholarship?

Jan 31, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

So basically the scholarship is taking a 2 year job after graduation that pays around 40k + 22k untaxed? (this being your scholarship money). Is this job and 2 year commitment something that greatly facilitates your transition to your ideal job, or a possible hinderance? Is it impossible to jump to your ideal job after your masters if you didn't have the scholarship?

Well that's if i just dissed the scholarship all together and went to grad school on my own. My dad has hinted at possibly paying for it, but i refused because i want my burden to be over...

Your questions are things that I'm wodnering about myself, i don't know if this will put me where I want exactly. This whole thing is sort of a knee jerk reaction to finding out I had this sort of opportunity. I do want to work as a programmer for awhile, yet I don't want to have an unmotivated and imobile job for a long time. I always imagined myself possibly at a higher level eventually doing macro management on large sorts of projects. Yet, those are pipe dreams, I haven't even a foot in the door... Security is really cool stuff, and i'd like to be there (I think). My mind is pretty cloudy, I don't even know honestly.

Jan 31, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #8 of 25
I think he means that he gets $22k while he's in school but then has to work for the government after graduation for at least 2 years making around $40k. I think. So confused.
confused.gif

Supposing that I have the scenario right, I'd try to get into the graduate program. After grad school, you end up with a masters, and the government job only lasts for 2 years, which isn't very long at all. Afterwards you'll be free to do whatever you want with much better credentials than you have now.

Jan 31, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by TenaciousO
I think he means that he gets $22k while he's in school but then has to work for the government after graduation for at least 2 years making around $40k. I think. So confused.
confused.gif

Supposing that I have the scenario right, I'd try to get into the graduate program. After grad school, you end up with a masters, and the government job only lasts for 2 years, which isn't very long at all. Afterwards you'll be free to do whatever you want with much better credentials than you have now.

Yea you have it right... 22 a year though I believe.

Thanks for the advice. When you say it like that it sounds like the way to go...
I guess my main problem is I was so mentally ready to graduate and this mode of thinking is really just throwing me off balance. I know there is no harm in trying, the worse thing I suppose is that if I didn't get into grad school and wasted time studying.

Jan 31, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #10 of 25
Yah but 2 IT years are like 5 normal years
tongue.gif
. If the 2 year gov job is not in itself a big foot in the door for your ideal NSA job, I'd weigh other possibilities (because doors will both open and close in 2 years as well). You can also find a job *during* studies and have them actually reimburse you for grad studies. Just say during your interviews that you are pursuing your masters...unless its a slave driving job that you wouldn't want anyways, they will take it well as a sign of ambition, higher education, dedication, etc.

Jan 31, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #12 of 25
Graduate school is very rigorous, IME, it will quickly weed out the un-committed, or the under-qualified. In my case, in my field, because I went into grad school straight out of undergrad, I was competing against people 10-20 years my senior on average with years of experience in the field. I struggled a bit at first, but ended up doing very well by the end. I had to work to support myself at the time as well, so between full-time school and full-time work, by the end of my 3 years, I was fried. My last semester, I had two internships, a part-time job, and I had to write a thesis, *and* I was trying to find a way to start my career, doing endless interviews. I'm amazed I didn't explode from the pressure.
tongue.gif

But now I'm so so thankful I did it. I've forever got that Master's in the bank, it's done and it's there. For many people, if they don't do it straight out of undergrad they never will. Life takes over, wife and kids and mortgages, no time or $$$ for grad school.

If you have the chance to go now (especially on a free ride) DO IT! You will forever kick yourself if you don't, and it's only going to get harder for you to make the kind of commitment grad school requires.

But don't think it's going to be a cake-walk, this is not kid's stuff, the standards are high and the competition insane. At my school, grades were apportioned, there were only so many A's and B's to be given out in each class. And you have to maintain a 3.0 or greater or your out.

That said, good luck!
orphsmile.gif

Feb 1, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #14 of 25
Definitely try the GRE to see if you can make it into grad school - a Masters pays off big time salary wise over your entire working career. Would it be possible to speak to someone at the NSA about the typical jobs done by graduates of the scholarship program in their 2 years there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back