Takstar Dilema
Jun 5, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #3 of 6
Should  I get the Takstar Pro 80s and replace the pads Brainwavs Velour with the Electric Avenue ? Or should I get the Takstar HI 2050s (not replacing the pads) with the E11 Fiio?
Do they even need an amp/dac to drive them? I will be using my laptop Dell E6400 to watch movies as well as my iPod Nano. How much of a difference does it make with the headphones stated above?
I want the best bang for my buck. Around 100 bucks in total. 
Not sure if this help but I have bought these Grados SR80e's and was not satisfied. It lacked base I guess. I loved the  Xiaomi Pistons 2

To me my Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80), which currently costs $44, sounds just a little bit better then my Takstar Hi2050.
http://www.amazon.com/Gemini-HSR-1000-Professional-Monitoring-Headphones/dp/B006Y2BI04

Jun 5, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #4 of 6
I mean both of those are the same headphone except one is open-back and the other is closed, so its a bizarre question since it comes down to what environments you listen to your headphones.

I can't think of any better deal you could find for a new headphone under 100 than the Gemini-HSR 1000. You could probably get that and a used amp/Fiio e7 for under 100 if you hunt around long enough.

They definitely don't need an amp, and sounded great right out of my low power laptop, in my experience an amp increases the soundstage making instruments sound a bit less crowded. Obviously you need a DAC too but it really depends on what DAC you are currently using. Like if you are using an onboard sound card, it really depends on the sound card, for instance my Fiio e07 DAC didn't improve the SQ over my Realtek onboard card as much as its built-in amp did. But if you are using a phone or average mp3 player, then obviously a cheap DAC would blow it out of the water. The DAC on my iphone is so bad that its almost more of a limiting factor on SQ than the headphone itself.

Jun 6, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #5 of 6
Hey, I'm glad I'm not the only one with an old laptop :)

I'd go for the Gemeni HSR-1000. I've got the 2050 and if the grado's don't have enough bass then these won't either. They are pretty easy to drive though so I'd go for a DAC over an amp.

How big of a head do you have? The headbands on these are pretty small. I've got a medium-large head and it barely fits. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back