Taking the SACD plunge! Now auditioning Sony SCD-C333ES!
Sep 15, 2001 at 8:54 PM Post #16 of 31
actually i'm redshifter, not darkangel.

the new remasters from the mid 90's on are for the most part much better than the 1st releases. especially the ones that were done at 20 & 24 bit, then downconverted to redbook using psychoacoustic dithering (like the police masters).

Sep 16, 2001 at 1:04 AM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Check the Good Guys web site and you'll see it there.

Aw, man... it's no longer there. I was going to submit the web page to AmEx for price matching
frown.gif

Sep 23, 2001 at 11:14 PM Post #20 of 31
Here is a quick update. I now have 120 hours burn in on the player, most recommend 200-300 for max. performance.

I am not really complaining about bass response any more. Plus, the player continues to "open up" in a very rewarding way. God, I like this sound.

I am keeping her! I still feel that there are significant points of weakness:

1. It's still a bit "foggy" in the soundstage.
2. Soundstage is not as big as my Denon DVM3700.
3. Bass is getting better, but not as much as the 3700.

However, this player MORE than makes up for those deficiencies by:

1. Delivering a silky smooth presentation that is so nicely analog sounding.
2. Rich, full sound.
3. Extreme musicality!!!!
4. SACD performance-- fuggedaboudit!!!!!!!

I am going to send my unit to Modwright on Monday. At the minimum I will be getting their level 1 mods, but he has some new mods from an English company called Audiocom that have been making a lot of waves lately. Not sure how far I'm going to mod the unit. I expect the mods will address a lot of the issues I have. I'll review it when I get it back. His lead time is getting very long lately as word spreads.

Somebody stop me!!!!!!!!!!!

markl

Sep 23, 2001 at 11:36 PM Post #21 of 31
Allright Markl!!
jeeze, i can't believe this, i am really excited! I want a full report of the modded unit! (is on knees in begging gesture) Right now, it's taking all my will-power not to send the unit off to modwright. He talks about the modded unit being at a "different level" --and I swear those words keep going through my head! BTW, bass with ERP is fantastic. congratulations and glad to hear the unit is shaping up to your expectations
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2001 at 12:56 AM Post #23 of 31
Mark,

Thank you SO much for sharing your steal of a find. I just went out yesterday to Good Guys and bought one for myself! Quite a step up from my PC CD player! Keep us posted after you get the Wright mods done, I'm considering those too! I've had this thing on for about 50 hours straight, and it sounds amazing already. I'm liking filter #3 a lot.

-Brian

Sep 28, 2001 at 2:13 AM Post #24 of 31
So, off went my unit to Mr. Dan Wright. I bought the level 1 mods ($350) and the audiocom DVC-1 master clock ($170), essentially a jitter-bug device that acts much like the Monarchy DIP and many other anti-jitter devices, with the tremendous advantage of being inside your unit. Soundstage gave it a rave, and Dan has the following to say about what the DVC-1 does:

"I am not a fan of minute tweaks that require "serious" listening to hear. If I can hear it immediately, then I consider it a worthwhile upgrade. I could hear the improvements of the individual Audiocom upgrades immediately. I would say that the clock upgrade is probably the most significant upgrade in addition to the Level I mods, but the Super Regulators and the Clock upgrade together and in addition to the Level I mods, simply take the unit to the next level. The clock upgrade seems to make a very nice improvement. It improves the dynamics and timing a lot. If you listen to music that is very dynamic, the Clock will provide the best results."

Above, Dan references yet another upgrade, audiocom's Super Regulators ($180), which he says basically lowers the noise floor even more and helps with the way music flows and is especially suitable for people who like acoustic and classical music. At this time, i just couldn't justify that, though I'd love to have them, too. So I stuck with Level 1 and the DVC-1.

Here's what the "basic" Level 1 mods entail:

Upgrade power supply with Schottky rectifiers and further mods to lower the noise floor
Upgrade key analog power supply capacitors to Black Gates
Upgrade key digital power supply capacitors to Black Gates and Sanyo OS-CONs
Upgrade all op-amps to ultra-fast Linear Tech. Units with current loading mods

Upgrade key analog signal path resistors to Vishays and Caddocks

Upgrade key analog filter path capacitors to Wima films

Upgrade analog coupling caps to Black Gates with Auricap film capacitor bypass caps

Add an IEC socket for use with removable power cords

Damping mods

I can expect about a 2 week turn-around, as dan is getting quite busy as his rep grows. i believe there is an article in the Oct. Stereophile that talks about his mods to the Perpetual Tech DACs, so that may have added to the delay. Good for him, bad for me.

markl

Sep 28, 2001 at 2:47 AM Post #25 of 31
sounds great, can't wait to hear your impressions. I make the tally at $520, yes? I'm still recovering from the earmax and hd-600's(which still haven't arrived
frown.gif
) hopefully a few weeks will see me solvent again, by the way, did you just ship it in the original box--or make other preps for shipping?

Sep 28, 2001 at 2:51 AM Post #26 of 31
You also have to add in return UPS.

I mailed it in the regular box and packaging as I live fairly close to him. I sent it regular ground, and I expect it to get there on Fri.

markl

Sep 30, 2001 at 1:34 AM Post #27 of 31
I finally went to Goodguys to audition the SCD333ES, and even though everything else sucked (Monster Cable everything including power conditioning, energy speakers, yamaha amp, etc.), it still blew me away. Amazing soundstaging, no jitter, tight rhythm. I couldn't assess any other qualities due to the limits of the setup (not balanced, choked dynamics and a lot of siblance). I'm definitely tempted to buy it.

Sep 30, 2001 at 3:25 PM Post #29 of 31
Yeah, it's still $400. Stay away from the Montclair one, it's mine!

And that's radiohead's amnesiac CD cover beneath my name. I'm totally on a Glenn Gould jag right now, but his covers aren't interesting
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Jeez, I need to wait until I wake up before I post so I don't make so many typos...

Sep 30, 2001 at 4:14 PM Post #30 of 31
Hey Jon,
BTW: it was listening to "Kid A" that really sold me on the 333. Sounds much more musical than on my Denon DVM 3700. Sounds much more like it was recorded in a room, instead of lots of disembodied sounds floating around. Those 2 discs are really well done. Can't wait to hear them on my mod-ed unit!

markl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back