Taking the SACD plunge! Now auditioning Sony SCD-C333ES!
Sep 15, 2001 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
So after my mis-adventure with the Denon DVM4800 DVD Audio player, after returning it, I brought home a Sony SCD-C333ES for a measly $399 at Good Guys! This thing was over a grand when it came out 6-7 months ago!

I was so thrilled with the quality of DVD Audio (though not that Denon DVM4800!) that I just had to check out SACD, which I keep reading is even BETTER than DVD Audio. Well, I could hardly wait!

SACD selection sucked at my local Tower Records. Nevertheless, I got the following SACDs:

T. Monk-- Straight no Chaser. I have the CD version of this one so I can go head to head!

Bach-- The Goldberg Variations with Glenn Gould. Still on my quest to get into Classical.

Not posting impressions of sound quality just yet, but I'll add them to this thread later.

Build quality on the Sony is 5 times better than the Denon, that I can tell you right now!

I hear this unit takes a VERY long time to burn in. I know there are some owners on this board. What was your experience with burn-in? Also, there are 5 separate filters that change the sound. Which setting did you choose and why?

markl

Sep 15, 2001 at 12:55 AM Post #2 of 31
markl,

I totally dig my SCD-C333ES. Yes, it does take a while before it shapes up to tip-top sonic condition, but it'll still impress along the way.

I use the variable digital filters (lately about half the time), and when I do, I usually find my self on filter settings 2 and 3.

You are very right -- it is built very well, and one has to see it in person to truly appreciate it.

Let us know your preliminary impressions of your new toy!

Sep 15, 2001 at 1:04 AM Post #3 of 31
Well, straight off the bat, I'm asking "Where's the Bass?"

Does bass come back after burn-in?

I got the unit with the idea that I'd get the Modwright Mods. I was hoping to be so impressed that they wouldn't be necessary. I am still hoping to be impressed enough to salivate at the idea of even better sound.

BTW: I've only tackled standard CDs so far. SACD later tonight. So far, not as good bass-wize as my Denon DVM3700 DVD video player, that's for sure.

markl

Sep 15, 2001 at 1:08 AM Post #4 of 31
Keep the comments going markl.
smily_headphones1.gif
If I upgrade my CDP, this would be one of my first considerations, and I'm very interested in hearing more about the 333. I don't believe in going with SACDs yet however, more concerned about the normal CD playback in a CDP than anything else.

Sep 15, 2001 at 1:24 AM Post #5 of 31
I believe that at this moment, it is the people on this board that have the best chance of almost anyone to really judge what the new formats can do.

Very few people out there have standard systems good enough to really give a true opinion of these new formats. Those of us on this board with decent headphone systems can really hear what they have to offer.

In general, what I hear so far of both SACD and DVD Audio are very, very encouraging.

Remember that it took CD technology 15 years before it started to sound good. Imagine what the new formats will sound like in 15 years time. It boggles the mind!

I believe it's our civic duty as the true "early adopters" out there to support the new formats.

markl

Sep 15, 2001 at 6:20 AM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Sony SCD-C333ES for a measly $399 at Good Guys!

OMG! That's a GREAT price! I had the record for low price before today, at $496 including shipping, but you blew me away
wink.gif
Congratulations -- you just got one of the best deals in all of audio. Was it a demo?

As for bass, is the ZOTL bass-shy? (I'm not familiar with its sound.) I ask because my 333ES has phenomenal bass when used with my Max and HD600s. I think Jude will concur with that assessment.

Sep 15, 2001 at 6:49 AM Post #9 of 31
Congratulations Markl,
Hope you come to enjoy the 333. I got mine about 2 months ago. I don't use the filters at all--no prejudice or anything, honestly, I enjoy the music so much it never crosses my mind to mess with the filters. No mods to the player. Jude is right, it does take the unit a while to shape up regarding regular cd's, but I found SACD's sound great right out of the box. I let my 333 run for a couple weeks when i first got it with steady improvement. The bass will fill in somewhat, but I never really found the unit to be severely lacking. Here things become a bit subjective. First of all, I have Tara cables and Grados--so I'm leaning to the warm side of things already. With that in mind, most of the time, I find the 333 bass to be just right--present, clear and deep. And instruments like drums sound very deep and realistic. (the RS-1's certainly play a part in this) I have an old heart CD--one of those i never really listened to--I think i got it from a friend--anyway--one day i threw it in and WOW--I don't know the first thing about the band heart, but I compliment whoever their drummer was, none of this using the snare only to keep the beat stuff, this guy is all over the place and the various drums he used and strong bass accompanying it just blew me away; i just sat there with a dumb look on my face--wow-- this cd has become one of my favorites. I actually just put it in and am listening to it now on the etys. Even on the etys, oodles of bass and deep drums! I guess what i mean by all this is that the Bass is there, deep and strong, but not boomy. Some CD's, like the police, sound a little thin(and bright), but in their early years, the police were known more for their energy and for placing emphasis on that off-beat--sort of like reggae--rather than for their technical skills in the studio. Steely Dan, well, I have never heard it any better than on the 333--just amazing. Overall, I think the 333 is true to the recording, it's going to play what's there-no more no less. With that said, I am now waiting on delivery of the Earmax pro--which I believe you have praised in past posts as having absolutely wonderful bass. Anyway, sorry for rambling on here, congratulations and let us know how it comes along

Sep 15, 2001 at 8:11 AM Post #10 of 31
Congratulations on the purchase. I too have been considering the 333es for its SACD capabilities and potential for being an outstanding redbook player especially with some Dan Wright style mods.

Question: How the hell did you get a 333 at Good Guys for that price!?

I have never seen one at Good Guys in CA, and all I can find are used units on Audiogon for ~ $475. Do you know if any other Good Guys are selling these units at this price? Was it a used/demo unit or did you have to bargain with them for the price or what?

Thanks,
Brian

Sep 15, 2001 at 3:47 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Right on, Markl! Just give me $2000 and I'll buy a brandy-new Marantz SA-14 to show my appreciation for the folks at Sony and Philips

All I can tell you is hearing is believing. I guess I don't understand the people that are ANGRY about the new formats. CD sound was a travesty when it was introduced. IMO it is partly respondible for the decline in music listening as a hobby. SACD and DVD-A will not only right the wrongs of the CD, but will deliver performance well above the best analog systems you can buy, and all at real-world prices. I, for one, am extremely grateful for the new formats. Hearing is believing.

Quote:

As for bass, is the ZOTL bass-shy? (I'm not familiar with its sound.) I ask because my 333ES has phenomenal bass when used with my Max and HD600s. I think Jude will concur with that assessment.

No, it's not the ZOTL because it does bass quite nicely when it comes from my Denon DVM3700 DVD player.
I was up until one A.M. last night (way past my normal bed time) RIVETED to the sound of this player. Bass is presented differently on this machine than on my Denon DVM3700. (In fact the entire sound is completely different.) Bass on the Sony is like the bass on the Ety ER4S-- it's all there, but it doesn't whomp you like the Denon. I would call the bass "articulate" and maybe a tad dry. I have read that bass improves over time and that moding the unit takes it to another level.

I am doing my best not to get too giddy about the player. ....must...remain...objective.... The sound is so analog and musical! Sound just FLOWS utterly unimpeded, with no edge or hash. So incredibly REAL. It's a bit laid back (which is OK), and maybe a little thin, but I am hoping the sound "opens up" a bit.

The best thing about this unit is that it transforms your regular CDs into SACDs in terms of presentation. Liquid analog sound off your brittle old digital CDs. It's like getting all your old discs remastered for free.

Oh, and the unit works like a charm. I can't think of hardly a single thing to criticize ergonomically. So much better than the Denon!

Quote:

Question: How the hell did you get a 333 at Good Guys for that price!?

Check the Good Guys web site and you'll see it there. My local store still had units brand new in the box in stock. I've read you can find it for $350 on the web! This is the bargain of century.

markl

Sep 15, 2001 at 5:25 PM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
SACD and DVD-A will not only right the wrongs of the CD, but will deliver performance well above the best analog systems you can buy, and all at real-world prices.

I still think very good vinyl rigs have the edge, but if SACD and the methods of recording/mastering/pressing them evolve and mature like CD did over the last 15 years, then I could see myself maybe agreeing more with this statement in the future.

My SCD-C333ES has actually become even more analog sounding with the balanced power I'm feeding it (more comments to come on this in the power conditioning thread -- or maybe I'll just start a new thread).

Sep 15, 2001 at 6:22 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Some CD's, like the police, sound a little thin(and bright), but in their early years, the police were known more for their energy and for placing emphasis on that off-beat--sort of like reggae--rather than for their technical skills in the studio.

jeremymayf,
check out the new remasters of the police, especially "zenatta mondatta". they are budget cds and the cd engineers have done an amazing job of 24 bit remastering. there isn't anything wrong at all with their technical skills in the studio! you will not be dissapointed.

Sep 15, 2001 at 7:47 PM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

I still think very good vinyl rigs have the edge, but if SACD and the methods of recording/mastering/pressing them evolve and mature like CD did over the last 15 years, then I could see myself maybe agreeing more with this statement in the future.

I think the new formats have the *ability* to sound better today. They not only have much wider frequency response, they have much lower noise floor, and far greater ability to go from soft to loud. If you look strictly at the specs, the new formats mop the floor with today's best analog. However, analog has that undefinable "thing" that CD did not. My experience so far with the new formats leads me to conclude that the vast majority of complaints about "digital sound" will soon disappear.

markl

Sep 15, 2001 at 8:42 PM Post #15 of 31
"jeremymayf, check out the new remasters of the police, especially "zenatta mondatta". . .

Thanks Darkangel, I'll definitely look into it--that's one of my all time favorite albums . . ..err um, CD's
wink.gif

Now that you mention new remasters it makes me think-- much of my cd collection is old (reletively speaking) from mid-late 80's-- perhaps some of that stuff has been re-mastered--Hendrix, Stones, CS&N. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back