Taking the last train on Friday night...
Jul 19, 2003 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

brent_mr2

100+ Head-Fier
I thought it would be fun last night to go ride my bicycle down at the waterfront in Portland and NE Portland. I figured I'd take the last lightrail train back to Beaverton (west side) at 1:11AM.

The first thing that happened was this barefoot group of older teens dressed as pirates. They were very loud and yelled out a bunch of HAR's and sang pirate songs. They had a piece of driftwood painted black that they were using as a plank that they'd put on the top of the stairs. They asked one girl to walk the plank but she refused.

They got off, then a few stops later, this guy that was drunk off his ass came in and started talking to me. He commented on how tall I look with how long my legs are. He kept telling me how cool I am and how uncool all the other people on the train were that were ignoring him. He dropped a Pabst beer can on his way out.

Then there was the drama group. One of the girls in the group lost something important, I think it was a tampon or something. She was crying a little while later. Then there was this other girl in the group that got thrown out of a bar by a bouncer earlier in the evening, but she claimed the bruises on her arm were from her abusive boyfriend who doesn't care about her. It seemed that she was drunk or high on something and trying to get the guys in the group feeling sorry for her.

I'll have to do this more often, it's really entertaining! It's too bad the trains quit at around 1AM, I'm sure the passengers would get even more livelier later on at night. Dave Attell should have ridden the lightrail when he was in town
wink.gif

Jul 20, 2003 at 12:51 AM Post #2 of 5
When I lived in Hillsboro for a summer I took the light rail several times late at night. Mostly uninteresting. The T in Boston at 2 in the afternoon is more exciting on average I'd say
smily_headphones1.gif

I was actually really amazed that the public transportation in Portland was as good as it was though.

Jul 20, 2003 at 5:08 AM Post #3 of 5
Our light rail in Denver isn't nearly so entertaining. Despite the fact that the D-Line passes through downtown and the C-Line passes right by the sports stadiums and Six Flags, security manages to keep off the less desirable folks.

Now the number 15 and 15 Limited buses running down East Colfax at night is quite a ride. Every night there must be something happening on that bus, between the rantings of a drunk, some moron arguing with his girlfriend, somebody yelling as loud as possible all their personal life into their cellphone, there is always guaranteed entertainment on that bus.

Ain't public transit fun
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2003 at 5:46 AM Post #4 of 5
I took he subway home around 4-5AM this past Weds. I'm in NYC and it was hardly exciting. There's always somebody on the train though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back