Taking control my my weight again...
Jun 26, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #136 of 144
Great post Spyro. You allude to it in your post, but if I may expand on it a bit, doing aerobics does not increase lung capacity or even lung efficiency. Both of these are exactly the same in a sedentary person and a fit person. What is dramatically different is the ability of your muscles to absorb and use the nutrients in your blood quickly and efficiently (primarily oxygen). This is what gets "trained" when you do aerobics. Not really anything earthshattering, but I thought it was an interesting fact
smily_headphones1.gif

My only 2 caveats with aerobics are 1, impact, and 2, intensity. For impact, it's best to do something other than jogging. The eliptical machine, bicycling, swimming, fast walking, all are much better on your joints, tendons, and ligaments, and all give you very good results. For 2, aerobics should be easy to moderate intensity. The harder you push youself on aerobics, the more it will cut in to your recovery ability. Personally I think 3 times a week of easy to moderate aerobics is entirely do-able.

Jun 26, 2006 at 5:54 PM Post #137 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
For impact, it's best to do something other than jogging.

Try fartleks or pyramids.

Jul 24, 2006 at 7:59 AM Post #138 of 144
How's everyone doing with their workouts? Hope you are all doing great.

For me, I just did 205 lbs on squats for 20 reps today, it was brutally difficult but very rewarding.

My bodyweight is 174 and still a 32 inch waist. But as I keep going on the lifting routine I can see the shape of my body changing, things are firming up a lot, with fewer and fewer "soft spots" left over from when I was very fat not too long ago. In my face the cheekbones are much more visible, and the jawline is signifigantly more defined.

I'm still only working out once a week doing one set to failure per exercise. I am alternating lower body workouts (squats) with upper body workouts (incline press & pulldowns), and I'm still getting stronger at every single workout. Next workout I'm trying 160 on incline for 12 reps (did 150 for 12 last workout), and 150 on pulldowns for 12 (last workout I got 11 reps with this weight). Wish me luck!

Jul 9, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #140 of 144
sorry to bump an old thread, but was wondering if any of the posters here had any advice for a good weight training regimen. it seems there are so many different exercises, it's hard to choose what to do. i usually weight train twice a week, focusing on biceps/back one day, and triceps/chest/stomach on another. haven't really been doing much leg-weight training because i run and figured that was enough there--maybe wrong though?

the thing is, i would like to condense my weight workouts and do exercises that target large groups of muscles at once. right now i probably spend a bit over an hour on weights each time i go. but i feel like i'm not hitting everything. i probably do like 10 different exercises each time. is this too many? i would like to improve overall body strength everywhere-chest,arms,back,stomach,legs, etc. from what i understand in this thread, the most important three are the bench press, squat, and deadlift. so basically i am trying to figure out what are some other good weight exercises to add which would include more muscle groups, as time constraints prevent me from doing tons of little exercises that target very specific muscles.

Jul 9, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #141 of 144
I actually slimed down to 180 but now back up to 210 lbs.
biggrin.gif
Married life can be so bad for my belly.
biggrin.gif
I still excercise every week but my wife certainly is a good cook.

Jul 9, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #142 of 144
Hmm, great read!

i was about 5,9 and 223lbs 1 month before i joined Head-fi (Nov 06)
I started to work out, had more, but smaller meals threw the day to keep my digestion going on full time, worked out 3 times a week, 3 liters of water instead of coke and now I'm about 5,9 and 179lbs and will be very happy if I'm 168lbs out the year..

Good luck, and remember, water, diet, and workout!

You can do it, if you put your ass into it!
wink.gif

Jul 9, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #143 of 144
I am on a diet entirely BECAUSE of Head-Fi!!
blink.gif

Yeah; really!

I have Tinnitus and it really can effect the enjoyment of my phones. yeah; really!

So at the same time as trying to discover exactly what it was that was the root cause of this problem, the Wife decided to go back on sort of an Atkins/South Beach low carb type of a diet, and asked if I would join her for moral support till she got it to be a habit again. Sure! About two days into it I noticed my ringing had rung out!

It appears that processed sugar is the demon!
very_evil_smiley.gif

....yeah; I guess you can't take between 5 and 7 million years of Hominid evolution and make a major change in diet in the last two hundred years and make it work out. Sorry; you milti-billion dollar processed foods corporations, we'll have to part company now. Guess I'll have to spend my bucks on real stuff.
plainface.gif

EDIT: Oh; and by the way; I'm not overweight. I was a few pounds overweight in 1976, but lost it, and have been +/- 10 lbs ever since!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back