TakeT H2 technology in microphones?
Dec 21, 2007 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

d.phens

100+ Head-Fier
I know that AMT is actually using technology that had been used in ribbon microphones, electrostatic headphones are analogical to powered condenser microphones but how about a piezoelectric ribbon mic?

One day someone will perhaps start building them and... I think it would be the first time a new transducer principle was developed for sound reproduction rather than sound recording
(i.e. originally to be used on headphone 'speakers' and just then on microphones).

Dec 21, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #3 of 4
To get an electricity out of a piezoelectric you have to actually compress it, not just have it wobble in the breeze.

Its an intriguing idea, I'd have no idea how to make it work though. You wouldn't want to use an AMT certainly, much simpler working with a flat piece of material.

Dec 22, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #4 of 4
The question is what's the best.
Ribbon microphones (AMT technology equivalent) are way more expensive than condensers and less universal, can't handle very high SPLs and have a weak output.

The most expensive microphones aren't linear at all, many of studio condensers are substantially rolled off at 50Hz even though they're meant to be studio.
They're simply vintage and/or unique.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back