TakeT H2 mod
Dec 3, 2007 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

b0dhi

Headphoneus Supremus
H2mod.jpg

Using the damping material found inside the cups of some DT-990 (seen here), I cut them into pieces and inserted them between the 'wafers' of the H2 driver (both in the front and the rear, which I couldnt take a picture of).

They're the perfect thickness to not only fit but to stay securely in place between the wafers.

In the picture you see that there are 4 rows of material. Before settling on the 4 topmost functioning wafers (the wafers above don't contribute to the sound), I tested with all 9 rows. The result was a signficant improvement in definition in all areas of the sound. Deep bass in particular became very sharply defined (moreso than usual). Also, the layer of "glaze" on the treble disappeared, leaving an extremely detailed and energetic yet completely non-fatiguing sound.

The problem with this was that the bass volume became hugely diminished using all 9 rows - way too much for my taste. Removing damping row by row, I found that using the 4 topmost rows kept the treble glaze to a minimum but did not reduce the bass impact. For those that aren't bassheads and don't mind lean but incredibly well defined bass, dampening all 9 rows would be ideal.

At the moment these cans have a phenomenal midrange and treble, and although my amp seems to not be able to produce the deep bass others have been reporting, the bass impact and definition is very satisfying. I can only imagine what they will sound like when they are driven directly, with the TR2 out of the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back