Taken for an expensive ride by Shellbrook Audio Labs
Apr 18, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #32 of 45
Some good suggestions here and I wouldn't expect a great experience with Paypal either. Their so-called "protection" isn't worth much and you'll jump through some hoops to get to that point.

Even folks with good feedback will screw you under the right circumstances. Sorry to sound so jaded but that's the way I feel and it's based on experience. Good luck and I agree...file the report and roast the punk.

Apr 20, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #33 of 45
I thought I would continue to provide feedback as my experience progresses.

Drew finally contacted me concerning my order and profusely apologized for the problem and is working to get me the amplifier.

In spite of this, I did a little investigative work. My conclusion at this point in time is that there was no intention to take my money and not provide an amplifier, just very poor judgement in managing time and communication. No one to my knowledge has ever been burned to the point of not receiving an order or a refund. Service has run the gammut. Some people have gotten good service and some have been frustrated to no end by lack of response to their inquiry. I think that Drew developed the "Order Status" page on the website to do the communicating to the customer, however, for the same reason the phone calls never got returned, the website didn't get updated as often as it should.

Drew's amps are beautifully designed, beautifully fabricated and superb at reproducing music. They are worth waiting for, but not if you have to go through what I have gone through. I sincerely hope that he starts to focus on providing better communication to future customers.

Apr 20, 2006 at 3:20 PM Post #35 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by keyeman
I thought I would continue to provide feedback as my experience progresses.

Drew finally contacted me concerning my order and profusely apologized for the problem and is working to get me the amplifier.

In spite of this, I did a little investigative work. My conclusion at this point in time is that there was no intention to take my money and not provide an amplifier, just very poor judgement in managing time and communication. No one to my knowledge has ever been burned to the point of not receiving an order or a refund. Service has run the gammut. Some people have gotten good service and some have been frustrated to no end by lack of response to their inquiry. I think that Drew developed the "Order Status" page on the website to do the communicating to the customer, however, for the same reason the phone calls never got returned, the website didn't get updated as often as it should.

Drew's amps are beautifully designed, beautifully fabricated and superb at reproducing music. They are worth waiting for, but not if you have to go through what I have gone through. I sincerely hope that he starts to focus on providing better communication to future customers.

I'm pleased to read that it worked out for you, or will work out for you; however, I would be very leary of making any claims about his intensions, be they benign or malign. You caused a stink...you got a response. Coincidence? Perhaps, perhaps not. The point is that you waited 5 months, you are still waiting and everyone should be made to understand that sending money, receiving no product nor communication explaining why... is definitely conducive to feelings of ill will and in my opinion they are a more than justified.

Folks, read the feedback thread. Tread forward at your own risk. Pay by credit card when you can.

Good Luck.

Apr 20, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #37 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire
At this point, I'd say file the police report. Drew has been doing this for a long time. And he gets away with it because he is able to just satisfy enough customers to keep some air of a reputation. It is either a scam or sheer incompetence at this point. And if it is a scam, this is one of the best scams that I have seen. He has been able to do this for so long and now that he is no longer on head-fi and focusing mainly on stuff like e-bay, it is harder for people to readily become aware of his transaction history. Look at ebteeiii, if he's lucky, he will be able to close the book on his amp after five months. If more people started filing reports and documented complaints against him then finally this kind of thing may stop.

You make a great point. I bought an amp off of him as well as a cable and had no problem. The amp actually came earlier than quoted. Of course that doesn't mean he hasn't pulled a fast one on a lot of people. I've been the person that has said to be patiant because I had a good expience but perhaps that wasnb't the best advice. I think you should file a police report as well. Drew may have good intentions but perhaps he needs a few consequences for all the stress and trouble he's caused in spite of his intentions.

Apr 20, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #38 of 45
The Drew saga has gone on, as far as I know, since forever. Either he is scamming, or else he is incompetent to the degree that he should quit selling amps.

For Drew to be scamming does not mean that he will not send your amp to you. It merely requires that he not send amps to some percentage of people to buy, thus building up much profit. If Drew sent amps to no one, everyone would stop buying amps from him. Drew has been sending amps to some people, thus for some reason which is beyond my reckoning or powers of comprehension, people continue to buy from him.

To anyone who feels like filing a police report against him: file away. The more people who do so, the lesser the chance he will be able to continue this.

Apr 21, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #39 of 45
I think the problem is if you require something special that he doesn't just have on the shelf ready to go. I bought a SuperMiniMoy from him and I had it in my hand in a week. Great little amp.

See ya
Steve

Apr 21, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #40 of 45
Drew seems to rely upon the tremendous amount of patience that a lot of buyers have and their tendency to prefer viewing their state of affairs as not being entrenched in some sort of unfair, unjust, or unethical behaviour by one or more parties. As a result, Drew seems to get away with stringing out people for months with poor contact and almost non-existent customer service and his excuses are repeatedly accepted by buyers.

His amps may sound good, but I seriously doubt they sound so good that it merits this sort of hassle, at least relative to other products available. Changing Drew's attitude appears to require a pretty hardline approach, and it seems no one is stepping up to the plate to do this, even though people are out hundreds of dollars and continuing to wait on Drew.

So it seems once again, nothing is going to be done about Drew.

Apr 21, 2006 at 1:15 PM Post #43 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Atomicfission92
I contacted Drew about pricing for an amp a couple days ago and PROMTLY got an email back from him.

Now that I know this, I won't be buying from him.

yeah I emailed him about two months ago about pricing also and he never emailed me back.
rolleyes.gif
Maybe it was because I live in Idaho like him and he's afraid if I did buy an amp and he doesnt ship the amp, I could drive over to his house and give me a piece of ...
icon10.gif

Jun 4, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #45 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pia
Hi all,
here's my story (at the bottom):
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...t=91119&page=5
Can you tell me (explaining in detail) what could I do to get a refund?
Thanks.

Pia

Having been in a situation similar to yours (in March-April 2006), I think I understand your feelings (both of us should have done better search on the forum before placing the order). I got the refund for a Maxi Head (which, besides other things, came with a wrong power supply and the color of power light) after a couple of weeks of constant phone calls reminding that I had not got the money yet. Luckily I was in the States and the calls were answered two times a week. So, I think, you will eventually get what you want but I am afraid you need to work hard for it. I hate the way of doing business like that. Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back