Taken for an expensive ride by Shellbrook Audio Labs
Apr 16, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #16 of 45
What I'd like to know is how he is able to have a paypal account?

People have learned to trust paypal. If he has recieved complaints how is his account still allowed? I honestly cannot fathom how that is allowed according to the amounts of complaints he has, his paypal as well as credit card useage should have been cut off? Something seriously does not add up here?

I am serious if his complainors are also serious and followed through his access to banking , credit cards and paypal should have been denied by now.

I know of other businesses who when they recieve enough chargebacks deny that business or person useage of credit card access for billing. Even if it is not there fault. For example people using stolen acct. numbers, that would not be the business's fault per se but the banks just cut them off.

So all I can surmise is something is seriously wrong but as to what I am not sure.

Apr 17, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #17 of 45
I think people must be just inordinately patient as they keep holding out hope that they'll actually receive the product, as his amps are pretty hyped up by those who have them.

Apr 17, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #18 of 45
There's also the possiblity that "big names" in Head-Fi or other forums/groups/meets experience smooth transactions while some, but maybe not all, no-name buyers are getting unsatisfactory experiences. That was my thought when reading through his feedbacks...

Apr 17, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #19 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Filburt
I think people must be just inordinately patient as they keep holding out hope that they'll actually receive the product, as his amps are pretty hyped up by those who have them.

Good point. That amp will sound golden after the buyer has been through hell and back to get it.

Apr 17, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #21 of 45
Thank you all for your posts.

The explaination of my behavior: His amps are really very, very good. In the past, on average, I only had to wait about a month which isn't a problem for me. But with this past transaction, after I got no response from him, I started to poke around this and other forum's and discovered the horror stories. I have already contacted PayPal (the most outrageous joke going) and the credit card company. I will recover something from the credit card company, but in order to recover the rest, a police report is necessary. While I don't like to do this to someone, I don't like to loose either.

But you are right, you like to believe there is some shred of decency - he seems to be a very acomplished individual. So, you keep sending the emails and making the telephone calls. I have learned a lesson.

Anyway, I am glad to see that there are a lot more amps out there to choose from. I will be busy checking them out. Any amp suggesions will be appreciated.

Apr 17, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #22 of 45
Well, if you want something nice and inexpensive, I'd check out the PINT. I built one with an AD8397 on L/R channels and LM6172 on ground and I really am happy with it. I'm going to build one with 8397 on both next. It's DIY, though, so you'd have to put up with that part of getting one
biggrin.gif

Note - I just suggested this because it is cheap and may tide you over while you work on getting your money back
smily_headphones1.gif

You could look into the M3 as far as larger amps go
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #23 of 45
Don't worry, there are a lot of very good people around here. If you want to commission a DIY'er, MisterX is very reliable and does very good work. If you would rather buy from an company, HeadRoom, Ray Samuels, RockHopper, Portaphile, and Z-Audio are very nice guys to work with, and all are with Head-Fi. I hope you get your money back!

Apr 17, 2006 at 3:31 PM Post #24 of 45
I had hoped against hope that we'd seen the last of threads like this. Unfortunately, I fear we'll probably see even more.
mad.gif

Read feedback and read stickies...they are filled with valuable information about the membership's experience with various vendors.

Apr 17, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #25 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by keyeman
Thank you all for your posts.

The explaination of my behavior: His amps are really very, very good. In the past, on average, I only had to wait about a month which isn't a problem for me. But with this past transaction, after I got no response from him, I started to poke around this and other forum's and discovered the horror stories. I have already contacted PayPal (the most outrageous joke going) and the credit card company. I will recover something from the credit card company, but in order to recover the rest, a police report is necessary. While I don't like to do this to someone, I don't like to loose either.

But you are right, you like to believe there is some shred of decency - he seems to be a very acomplished individual. So, you keep sending the emails and making the telephone calls. I have learned a lesson.

At this point, I'd say file the police report. Drew has been doing this for a long time. And he gets away with it because he is able to just satisfy enough customers to keep some air of a reputation. It is either a scam or sheer incompetence at this point. And if it is a scam, this is one of the best scams that I have seen. He has been able to do this for so long and now that he is no longer on head-fi and focusing mainly on stuff like e-bay, it is harder for people to readily become aware of his transaction history. Look at ebteeiii, if he's lucky, he will be able to close the book on his amp after five months. If more people started filing reports and documented complaints against him then finally this kind of thing may stop.

Apr 17, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #26 of 45
If you have not done so already, please post details of your experience in the feedback thread. Stuff like this happens because newer members don't get fair warning.

Apr 17, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #27 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire
At this point, I'd say file the police report. Drew has been doing this for a long time. And he gets away with it because he is able to just satisfy enough customers to keep some air of a reputation. It is either a scam or sheer incompetence at this point. And if it is a scam, this is one of the best scams that I have seen. He has been able to do this for so long and now that he is no longer on head-fi and focusing mainly on stuff like e-bay, it is harder for people to readily become aware of his transaction history. Look at ebteeiii, if he's lucky, he will be able to close the book on his amp after five months. If more people started filing reports and documented complaints against him then finally this kind of thing may stop.

Agreed. If others who have been treated like this by Drew also file police reports, it may help stop him from taking advantage of people in the future as it will provide incentive for PayPal and others to halt operations with him.

Apr 18, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #30 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustin24
It may be a good idea to take shellbrook off the Compilation of portable amps sticky in the amps section. Doing so should keep noobies from falling for his trap.

I think it might be better to leave them there and add a reference to the feedback thread for Shellbrook/drewd, if the purpose is to protect newbies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back