Take (Fifty) Five
Jun 19, 2008 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Fixcinater

100+ Head-Fier
Last night, I settled in my chair and donned my taped up (painter's tape around the very outer cup) and de-grilled AKG K240 Sextetts, whose pads are about shot. I fired up the Creek 6060 integrated amp to get that warming up, and washed my copy of the Maxell Jazz Sampler.

Dropping the needle twice and hearing all that Paul Desmond, Dizzy and Chick Corea had to offer was and has been a fantastic time in hearing a variety of tunes and song structures, as well as diverse approaches to playing their respective instruments.

I especially like Mark-Almond's "New York State of Mind" for it's laid-back meter, and mass details.

Anyway, this isn't a record review, it's a revelation thread and I'm not one to disappoint. Thusly:

After Maxell's Sampler and Lerner & Loewe's "And then I wrote", I played Steely Dan's "Aja", then decided to go back to CD format.

Throwing "Take Five" into my Magnavox CDB610, I finally heard some room decay! I have listened to this recording on various high-end setups that my dad has run through, and listened myself exactly 55 times to the title track from my iPod/computer combined, and never heard the clearly apparent room ambiance around Brubeck's keys, Desmond's sax and Morello's kit as I have last night and this morning. Soundstage on my head!

This is what the hobby is all about.

Now for your part, lucky reader! This is pretty close to a typical night of listening for me. Jazz, some vintage rock, funk, classical, choral arrangements, country and very little new rock/metal. I don't need or want as much midbass as my EP K240s have, but going lower and higher in range would be grand.

I feel my Sextetts do a great job of warming everything up and never being analytical, but I get the feeling that even though I'm amping them well, I could go for more detail.

Running Sennheiser HD650s in the same setup for about 3 weeks left me non-plussed. Too distant/veiled and I kept cranking up the volume to get it more up-front or in my face, which as you all know doesn't work.

Any suggestions? I thought I hated AKG K701s, but I only heard them with 150 or so hrs burn in time, and for a very short time through an unfamiliar rig. I'm tempted to try again for a complimentary sound to my Sextetts after reading up on them s but here.

Any disenchanted 701 owners interested in trading for guitar speakers?

Jun 20, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #2 of 5
Try the DT-880s. They have opposite sonic character (leaner, faster) to the K240s but nonetheless similarly impressive (transparent, punches well). I have the same Sextett EP so I can imagine what you are hearing there.
wink.gif

Jun 20, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fresh pads will actually boost the mid-bass even more.

Agreed. I taped up the outside and it seems like the bass is more solid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back