Takatsuki Electric TA-300B
Sep 11, 2011 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 189

CADiver

New Head-Fier

Thought I just start a new thread to chat about Takatsuki TA-300B ...

These are sashimi fresh from Japan in the neighbor of where AirTight lives.  With Western Electric become harder & harder to get, there are some potential AirTight will ship with them in the future.  We shall see.  The day when Takatsuki makes a 211, I will buy one, hopefully by then Airtight will run their 211 amp with more juice which is what the 211 needs ...

My first experience with the TA-300B after 150 hrs burn in confirm me that it has basic characteristic, tonal balance similar to the Western Electric 300B and not Sophia Electric.  At this stage, it feels like it has less impact then the WE300b.  It's very polite with outstanding air and sense of surrounding to everything.  It leads you to music, prescence rather then hi-fi.  At ~$1400 a pair (which was what I paid), it's a stiff order but it really isn't entirely their fault.  It's the USD vs Yen issue.  Back in the old days, it would be about $900 pair.  That would be a fair asking price !

With Sophia Electric Royal Princess, it would be something like Covette vs Maseratti, Covette being the Royal Pricess.  I have listen to the RP for about 6 months now, it is an impressive hi-fi 300B tube.  Modern sound, crisp, solid, impact, superb extension.  Doesn't draw me into the music like Western Electric or even TA-300B but it is so high fidelity, disect every area, it's going to win.  Air and presence and reverb appears to be a tag shy from WE300B or TA-300B, perhaps that's one of the ingredient that usually draw me into the music.  At $1200 a pair, it's probably the most expensive production 300B available today.  Well worth owning a pair and have fun and show off it's guts.   But when light's out, family sleeping, pull out your favorite ensemble or vocal, I would slip back into the Western Electric along with a Scottish Speyside single malt.  The Royal Princess on the other hand is probably 10 fold better than the sister Princess.  Once again, it's on every order better, cleaner, more impactful, more reverb, more extension.  It's less than 1/2 the price though !   I live with the Pricess for more than 4 years and it was my 2nd pair.  Princess are substanially better over JJ, early KR, Sevlenta and most stock Chinese tubes in my opinion.

I don't have the Black Tresure, almost brought one in July but the self control kicks in and I was saved.  Probably next year, I will still get it just to hear the difference. 

With a stong competitor like Royal Princess, Western Electric is really meeting some challenges.  It's hard to get, it's expensive, reliability, you don't really know what you get and a tag behind the impact and extension of RP.  But if you have a handful of good stocks, cherrish it, plug them in when you want to melt like ice-cream.  In my system, the sweetness is still not met by Royal Princess nor TA-300B

When time permit in the near future, I will try to write some more specific examples, deatils and comparison of them using actual software ( LP, CD and computer)

Enjoy a slide show of the TK-300B I took over this weekend.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9609046@N06/sets/72157627522164719/show/

Cheers !
Dominic

Sep 12, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #4 of 189
[size=10pt]Pity cant effort it right now, some other things going, but maybe one day.[/size]

[size=10pt]Your pics are great quality and tubes are beautiful looking, I can feel their superb quality through these pics, thanks for sharing and keep inform us please.[/size]

[size=10pt]THX[/size]

Sep 20, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #6 of 189

I just took a pair of JJ and spray painted the bottom to look like Takatsuki TA-300B .... :)

... They are purchased from Japan, a friend sent to me.

Goto yahoo.co.jp and enter "高槻電器工業 TA-300B".  You will find a bunch of dealers carry them.  I am sure you will find one want to take your $$ & ship them to you directly.

Cheers !

Sep 21, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #7 of 189
I feel like this thread need some update, even 9 days are not that long, but with 3 hours a day we are talking about 27 extra hours of burn in, so, any changes?
ksc75smile.gif

THX

Sep 23, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #8 of 189

Unfortunately, I am travelling and won't be back until October.  My amp will remain off until middle of October and then will travel again in November. But I think there will be new owner of TA-300B going to chime in this thread soon when their tubes arrive :)

Quote:
I feel like this thread need some update, even 9 days are not that long, but with 3 hours a day we are talking about 27 extra hours of burn in, so, any changes?
ksc75smile.gif

THX

Oct 8, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #9 of 189

Back from a month working in Florida and a weekend diving in Key Largo, was very warm and humid.  Since then, 7 days with the amp on with 5 days on the TA-300B and 2 on the Royal Princess and RP is still cooking downstair now ....

Anyhow, the latest feel is that the TA-300B is somewhat more flat and somewhat less output then the Royal Princess.  I found myself had to turn up 1 click (1/2 db) on my AI Mod3a pre-amp when use the TA-300B.  I can see why other enjoy the Royal Princess, it's just a bit more exciting, more dynamic swing then the TA-300B.  I am still at the point belive that I can listen to the TA-300B more/longer then RP.  It is definitely more exciting with the Royal Princess dynamic swing however.

With the Telrac Round up disc track 8 (which was what MBL use to demo their reference system in July), the TA-300B was less "loud" and dynamic then Royal Princess.  Royal Princess can really swing on material like this.  When the cowboys kick in, you can really feel they are there kicking up dirts swinging around.  TA-300B doesn't deliver that mood.   At the mid-point where all those funny things (bells and stuffs) kick in and that suprise drum hit, Royal Pricess deliver the dynamic much stronger then the TA-300B or the Western Electric for that matter.  My 30 months kid screams when that drum hit and he really enjoys this track w/ the Royal Pricess, he is my reference really.  More energy, more dynamic swing.

On the K2 HD Ketherine Jekins' disc track 6 Nuesun Dorma, Royal Pricess is almost unlistenable.  K2 is one of those highly processed disc in my opinon.  KJ sings really good on Nesum Dorma but the disc process so much that many part of her voice were just so artificial.  In this case the Royal Pricess expose those artifact very significantly.  Both TA-300B and WE300b were able to manage those artifiact and play back at a listenable result.  Very similar finding with ATR-001 Esther.  Her voice has a very wide swing and ATR-001 (vinly) were made in the early 80's, it was quite heavily process to achieve hi-fi disc back then.  AGain TA-300B and WE-300B play that disc much more comfortable than Royal Pricess.

Please review the below picture taken by 50mm lens, the Royal pricess is a bigger tube.  I don't know if size matter, but I found both JJ300B and all Sophia Electric has bigger dimension, bigger bottle then the reference WE300B.  Go figure !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9609046@N06/6221843735/

I also had the opportunity to listen to the Audio Note UK version of the Kondo (a $109K USD integrated amp) and the Japanese Kondo (integrated amp, don't ask the price on this one) on a regular base.  Both are 211 amp (I am after a 211 amp next :wink: ).  Both play the K2 HD Ketherine Jekins disc very differently.  The Japanese Kondo is much more warmer and much more listenable even w/ those heavy process artifact.  The UK Kondo on the other hand is very neutral, honest, no MSG.  It reproduce the the artifact as is but still more listenable then in my cheapo Audio Note Conqueror with the Royal Princess. 

That's it for now, will report more on different materials later. 
If there is a material/song you want me to listen to and write about it, let me know.  I may have that source or you can email me the FLAC version and I can listen to it and report back.   Thank you !

Cheers !
Dominic

Oct 8, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #10 of 189
Sweet, love the pics.

Oct 8, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #11 of 189
Thanks for update and wonderful pics, WE and Takatsuki looks very beautiful. Regarding RP, to me, they are missing i in between.

Not sure how many hours Japanese have, but I do believe they will open up more, so, keep us informed pls.

Oct 19, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #12 of 189
I've just brought a pair of these whilst I was in Japan. Just started to run them in for a couple of hours. Previously I was using EML 300Bs.

The people form Sun Audio where I purchased them from very friendly and mentioned that only a limited amount (20) are planned to be made each month

Steve

Oct 19, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #13 of 189
Great to know, would you be so kind to tell us more about them please.

Doesnt surprise me, they are made fully by hand and not by machine, like those hundreds Chinese.

THX

Quote:
I've just brought a pair of these whilst I was in Japan. Just started to run them in for a couple of hours. Previously I was using EML 300Bs.

The people form Sun Audio where I purchased them from very friendly and mentioned that only a limited amount (20) are planned to be made each month

Steve

Oct 20, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #14 of 189

Quote:

Steve

How much did you pay?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back